PDA

View Full Version : Anxious when alone. Any advice?

Alicat
07-11-09, 17:44
Hi,

I can't seem to escape my anxiety. It started in June/July and although it's not as bad now (the DP/DR is better) I'm still not feeling good.

I work during the week so I HAVE to get up and go to work so I'm kind of ok but as soon as I'm left on my own or over the weekends, I feel really anxious and lost. I can't see the point to things and although I am functioning, I'm questioning 'why' everything?? Like I can't make sense of things. It does help to know this is an anxiety symptom but it's really getting to me.

I bumped into a friend in town earlier and I was laughing and joking with him and it felt lovely. It's like I'm ok when I'm with other people but not when I'm on my own.

I live on my own so I do have to spend quite a bit of time alone. I know that if I did things to occupy my brain, it'd probably go away, it's just finding the motivation!

I'll be doing the mindfulness based CBT in the new year so I'll get an assessment, but I'm worried they'll not see me as worthy of help as people who are 'ill'.

Has anyone got any advice?

Thanks

chantelle
07-11-09, 17:50
I feel so much like you. I've been on meds since Feb but am ok when I am at work but have problems on my own. During the week I feel that it finally coming to an end but then the weekend comes and I feel I have taken a step back.

I was off last week on mid-term and was so glad to get back to work. I used to live for the weekend and holidays......I really want to get back to that.

If you find out how please share it...Good luck

Chantelle

gypsywomen
07-11-09, 18:00
it must be hard being on your own , with this illness have you any pets ,,i dont think they will dimiss you because you dont seem as bad as others ,,only you know how bad you feel so tell them hope all goes well ..good news twins on x factor tonight are you watching ,,lol xxxxxxxxxx

Alicat
07-11-09, 18:55
Yeah-the twins are always good for a laugh.

Thanks for your advice Gypsywoman xx

cunny1980
07-11-09, 21:29
i know how you feel i'm the same. The best thing to do when your on your own is to keep yourself busy so you dont dwell on things. And remember theres always someone on here to talk to. :hugs:

Alicat
07-11-09, 22:10

I know we've had so many threads about this but I always feel better in the evening. I'm feeling good now and quite motivated to do things. Not worrying. It's frustrating!!

Maj
07-11-09, 22:29
Hi,

I think it's good that you feel okay at work and with people. When you're alone you've got time to think about you with no distractions. Occupation does definitely help when you're anxious. Being alone gives you time to think too much but you can always come on here and listen to how other people are feeling and it'll make you feel better.
Take care
Myra:yesyes:

Alicat
08-11-09, 22:52
I am finding it harder to keep focused on things. I kept getting distracted from the tv earlier. I'm not sure whether to go back to the dr and tell them. I went a couple of weeks ago to get referred to the mindfulness thing but I said I was feeling better.

CrazyC
15-11-09, 23:15
I think i can relate to what your saying. I live with my parents and when they are at work or in bed i have an almighty cold/scared feeling. Like if i need someone to "save me" they will not be able to. I find bedtime the worst, just laying there with thoughts.

I dont feel as bad if i have someone "watching over me" or there to calm me down. Im not sure how to deal with it either as its started to be over whelming and no matter what i try to focus on negative thoughts creep in.

Kirsty-Jayne
15-11-09, 23:18
Heyy, im the opposite.. i can seem to calm myself down on my own, with no one sayning ''are you okay''? or making me feel worse... I love being on my own.. but i suppose this isnt much to your topic... I can relate to what you mean though.. Must be tough. =( Anxiety can have a funny effect on us, but we must be the controller =) Best of luck to you <3 x

Masa
16-11-09, 09:35
Hello, I'm the same, I'm sooo scared of being on my own. I had a great weekend this weekend because my husband was with me for 2 days. I can't cope in the week when he goes to work before me or I come back home from work before him. As soon as he walks in I feel better. In the morning, I sometimes go to work really early just to stop being on my own in the house.

It is so frustrating, but I'm sure that this is a medical condition. I think it's called monophobia. I am sometimes desperate to go and do this on my own, but just the though of being on my own puts me off.

I've been put on the waiting list for CBT and hoping that that would help along with Citalopram.

Take care.
Masa

SleeplessFog
16-11-09, 15:31
For awhile I did not want to be alone. But I have to work alone and all those things, so my DH has been a very big line of support for me. He always reassures me that I don't have to be afraid, that he is just a call away, and can be home in minutes or wherever I am in minutes. I have been able to reassure myself during days where I feel afraid by remembering that he really is only a phone call away.

Alicat
07-12-09, 21:46
Hey,

I'm back. Well-I was ok for a while. I think it was partly cos I had a concert to look forward to and was REALLY excited! But yesterday (Sunday) was horrible. :scared11: I ended up going to bed and trying to go to sleep to escape it. It wasn't even that I was scared of anything bad happening...I don't think. I just felt overwhelmed by everything and couldn't see the point of anything. As for Christmas...I just feel like I don't know what's happening or more to the point why??

I'm feeling very scared cos I haven't felt like this for such a long period before. I went to call the counselling psychologist I've been seeing but she has no availability. I'm trying to cut down on the caffeine again and hope it helps. :unsure:

KK77
01-01-10, 03:49
Maybe you should just go to bed Ali and you'll feel better in the morning after some sleep.

Think of making 2010 a successful year, not one full of dread!

Alicat
01-01-10, 22:51
I don't remember writing this!! I really shouldn't drink wine...it makes me depressed. I've decided I'm giving it up and sticking to spirits. Sorry for talking crap. :blush:

I had an appointment with my therapist on Wednesday. She was talking to me about what makes being on my own so scary and we arrived at the idea that it reminds me of when I first moved in here and overdosed because I was depressed and in pain (not something I'm proud of)

She's given me an exercise to do where I imagine a 'compassionate image' that tells me I'm ok and everything's fine. She said I have to practice relating to it. I'm hoping it's going to help although I was getting very frustrated in the session because I wanted her to tell me how to make the feeling go away.

Anyway-I've been feeling positive today (despite the hangover) and I'm determined to try and make 2010 a better year for my anxiety.

Ronny
03-01-10, 22:43
Sorry you feel like this....maybe like you replied to me get yourself a sad lamp?Try and keep busy it really does help.Take care.

Alicat
04-01-10, 19:32
I've ordered a SAD lamp. It should be here in the next couple of days.