PDA

View Full Version : citalopram

mandamoo
17-07-03, 17:34
hello everyone

ive been taking citalopram for two weeks, and i feel a bit weird. its quite hard to explain but ill have a bash.

im taking it for chronic anxiety which entails me being scared of dying or having an accident all the time. the fear is still there and im getting counselling for that, but it feels different somehow. i feel like its there but i cant feel it (i realise how nut-bar this sounds). im obsessing less about it, but its as if its become part of me, and it doesnt induce panic. is this the medication, cos i know that two weeks is not a long time for it to kick in, but there is defo a difference. i think numb would be a good word. anyway, im having silly ideas like 'o i must be ok now' and to be honest if feel like a bit of a fraud and like everyone thinks im just being a drama queen. im sat here testing my slef by thinking about dying and checking how i feel. theres just nothing - is anyone else tkaing citalopram and has anyone felt anything similar. and am i being a pillock?

love to all

amanda

Shelley
18-07-03, 08:42
Hi Amanda,

It took about 2 weeks for the Seroxat to kick when I was suffering really bad - try not to analyse whats going on and just look forward to being releaved of the anxious feelings. No one thinks that you're a fraud or a drama queen or any of the above - I think we do the thought thing to test ourselves to say "oh well I can think about this and not feel so bad" all part of the recovery process matie, start enjoying life and make the most of the anxious free time - get a taste for it again

x Shell

Shell

Jo
21-07-03, 15:28
Hi Amanda/Shelley.

I have taken and still take, after 9 months, Cipramil/Citalopram (I think they are the same). I think those of use who suffer with panic/anxiety and take medication desperately want to feel "normal" again quickly but it takes time for you and your body to re-adjust.

At the beginning Amanda, the first few weeks particulary, I really did feel 'strange'. With time however, I began to feel "normal" - I could start to rebuild my life again. I am now, however, coming off my medication as I feel ready and able. I may have another panic attack in the fufture but I feel a little more prepared now.

As Shelley quite rightly says, you are not fraud/drama queen - I thought that too, but we are not!

Keep fighting it Amanda - we may eventually meet up in the chat room and talk some more!

Jo

blossom
24-09-03, 16:56
from Blossom
Thought I would let you know why I have not been into the chat room for a bit, but I am still struggling with the side effects of Cipramil, and they are making me more anxious than normal, but I am told by the doctor that they take a while to get into the system. I have had 2 weeks at 10mgs, and 5 days today of 20mgs, for those of you who are on this anti-med, can you give me a lift to stay on them, I am so depressed, and am feeling pretty rough, but after reading some of the messages posted, it takes a while, they say 2-4 weeks, I hope these work for me, trouble is the doctor gave me OXEAPAM like a valium to take with them, to help calm me down, but they give me a drastic funny head, so I try to avoid them. He also gave me Zoplicone to sleep at night, but will not take them, scared of new pills, maybe thats my problem. Hope to be in chat soon, most of the time, I am in and out of bed. Bye for now, love to all Blossom

nomorepanic
24-09-03, 19:12
Hi Blossom

Good to see you here. I hope you get better soon and hope to see you back in the Chat room shortly.

Keep your chin up and you will get there :-)

Nicola

sarah
26-09-03, 15:41
Hi Blossom
Taking Cipramil is the best thing i have ever done to help with the panic i get. I would say stay with it. After being on them for about 2 months now i have gotten over my agoraphobia and now go out a little each day and my husband even managed to pursuade me yesterday to book a holiday!!!!!! Im scared to death but we are going on a PLANE (ahhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrggggg) to Ibiza for 4 nights in october!!
So theres a positive for you, if they help me that much they may help you too!
Sarah
xx

Clareaj2
04-10-03, 09:27
Hi All,
I took citalopram for about 12 months and I came off it around Christmas time of last year, it didn't solve the problem for me, but it really really helped. I know what you mean Amanda, I felt really odd for the first few weeks, everything felt so unreal but once the first few weeks were over I felt great. I tried to tell people about it but they always looked at me like I was lossing my mind and that I should just pull myself together!!

I kept trying to test myself to see if I felt any better, after the first few weeks, I would put myself intot he situation I feared and felt better than I had in months. Carry on with them, because they can really really help you.

Good luck

Clare

Meg
04-10-03, 10:54
If you are at the point where you are at your wits end with depression or panic/anxiety then medication therapy can break the viscious cycle and give you a fairly rapid welcome break from it all and allow you to feel much better.

However medication does not 'cure' you, it masks the symptoms as Clare says, so use the time on medication well to address your underlying issues, self develop and prepare yourself for your future.

When you want to come off meds/ or your doc decides you should come off them then you should have built some new coping skills with which to face your world.

After all - if you don't do anything different from what you did previously - you can't expect a different outcome .....

I was put on Prozac and felt wonderful and thought I was sorted. 5 weeks after coming off it I had another panic attack and another. It was awful. Then it dawned on me that I had not actually done anything productive apart from taking mood altering drugs . It had been so fab to feel well again I had just hoped this was the answer.

It was only then that I started taking myself in hand and doing some internal work and now I'm fine.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

ellie
05-10-03, 15:17
Hi
I was very interested in the posting about Citalopram having just started takin it 5 days ago, i feel quite scared taking it because i read the instruction leaflet and like other people have said it scared me to death and i am scared enough. I cried when the doctor suggested antidepressents but felt in a catch 22 and i have to work and at the moment do not feel confident enough to go my anxiety is so intence. I am hoping these tablets will help me but i lurch from hope to dispair then back to hope again. At the moment the tablets have only slightly taken the edge off going out and once out i have to control the rising pancks by breathing and letting go.

Reading other people's experience have helped me to have some hope again so i thank you for the feedback

Regards
ellie

nomorepanic
06-10-03, 12:08
Radar

I agree with what you say about the medication and having to use it to calm you down whilst you cure the underlying problems.

There is no point going on anti-depressants for months unless you are prepared to work at the original problem whilst you are on them. They will not cure you as such, they just provide relief so you can try and lead a normal life.

Used in conjunction with CBT and/or some other treatment (e.g. Hypnotherapy) then it should be easier to come off them and not immediately panic again!

Nicola

sarah
06-10-03, 17:31
Hi all
I agree totally with what Nicola and Meg have said. I have been on Cipramil for about 2 or 3 months(cant remember - have no brain now..lol) and it has helped me immensely. However there has been no point being on them if I wasnt willing to try and help myself too. I have had councelling (which is ongoing) and group therapy sessions which have been my lifesaver. I also try to test myself a little further each week so now i am able to go to local shops without thinking twice and also restaurants and cinemas etc arent too much of a problem for me anymore. I feel as if none of this would have been possible if I had JUST had meds or JUST had councelling but the combination has been great. The meds are giving me the confidence to teach myself to be 'normal' again.
I also understand that the only person who can help me is myself so thats why I try and push myself a little further each time.
Love n kisses
Sarah
xx

Meg
06-10-03, 18:25
Fantastic ........ Well done Sarah.

It's so difficult sometimes but it's really the only way.

I hope you really reward yourself for all your achievements.

I had my lightbulb moment when I realized I'd have to stop saying ' What's happening to me ? ' and start saying ' Why am I doing this to myself ?'

It was totally grim as realization dawned that I could no longer keep doing the rounds lookng for a 'cure'and trying to assign blame . I was the only real cure and **** was it too hard some days.

But it worked . Hurrah !!

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

blossom
21-10-03, 23:47
Sorry I have not been in the chat room for a few nights, but am still feeling rough, I have been in Cipramil now for 2.weeks at 10mgs and justover 1 month of 20mgs, am told they should be working by now, but have not done it for me yet, lets hope they soon do, I seem to live in fear all the time, very weepy still and anxious. How long does it take at 20mgs to start working. Had ECG on Monday 20th, but not got results yet, miss you all, please answer me those who are on Cipramil. blossomxx

sarah
22-10-03, 12:25
Hi Blossom
sorry to hear you arent feeling so good yet.
it took me about 6 weeks to feel better on cipramil but i was also having group councelling which made me leave the house, so i think the combination of the two was the real difference for me.
The best thing i did was to start taking care of myself again. I got out of bed and got dressed everyday, put on makeup and nice clothes whether i was going out or not. The best thing you can do is have a relaxing bath, get dressed, put makeup on and see how much more human you feel. And best of all....Think Positive! None of it works unless you believe it will. Trust me ive been there!
much love
Sarah
p.s hope to see you in chat again soon
xxxx

Mich
27-10-03, 23:54
Hello everyone. can anyone offer me any help?
About 9 months ago I had an awful experience whilst driving my car, I went straight to the doctors (all within 30mins) my heart was still beating V.fast giving the Doctor reason to send me to the Hosptial, where I was fully checked over then told it was an anxiety attack.

I have since got worse and have had attacks in all places which include: at home watching TV, out in shops, in the pub, on holiday (even whilst sun bathing!), on the plane home, but mainly in the CAR!!

Over the nine months I have been to the Doctors for some help on 2-3 occasions as its got me to the stage where I feel down, stressed, scared, emotional, etc. etc. etc.......

About 3wks ago I was prescribed CITALOPRAM, and just to look at the packets scare me, ive not touched them yet. I am scared of the side effects and how long I might be on them and then of course the withdrawl symptoms, so I would appreciate any reassuring advice anyone may have to offer (and quick pleeease). (AND OF COURSE ANY TIPS FOR WHILST IM DRIVNG TO WORK WOULD BE HELPFUL - I have got a relaxing CD but ive not been in the car since I got it!!)

Lastly, my intentions were to take the medicine and get over the side effects whilst I was signed on the sick (ive been signed off for 2 weeks) but I am due back to work this Thursday 30th and havent started them yet, should I get back into work or see if I can have more time off whilst I start them!)

Thank you for reading my story (sorry if I bored you!) I dont mean to waffle on - its just good to get other opinions.

Take Care Michelle xXx

Laurie28
28-10-03, 08:20
Michelle,

I was prescribed Citropram by my GP as well. I was wary of taking them in the 1st place but when I read all the enclosed information there was no way I was putting them near my mouth!!!

All I can say is that all presribed medicines have a list as long as your arm because the drug companies have to list effects people have had whilst using the drugs. It doesn't mean they will happen to you.

Whatever you decide to do Good Luck and Take Care

U will get alot of good advise on this forum as well as support

Lucky

Mich
28-10-03, 10:42
Thank you Lucky for you reply, I am gonna give them a go I think, its just a case of when,s the best time to start them!

Also have you ever drunk alcohol whilst on them, I know they dont advice it, but I do like to go out at least once a week for a few!!

Take Care. Michelle xXx

Laurie28
28-10-03, 11:35
Michelle,

There is a few posts relating to alcohol and anti-depressants in the forum (had a look but can't find them) Have a look through and see what you think!!

I think as anti-depressants are for a few months (at least)and you can't be expected to give up alcohol completely.

But as I said have a look through and you can see others experinces or opinions (I never actually took the anti-depressants so I can't speak from personal experience

Take care
Lucky

Mich
28-10-03, 14:17
Cheers Lucky I will have a good luck.

You say you didnt take them - did you manage to overcome your panic attacks without them, believe me if I was sure I could do that I wouldn't touch these tablets (i'm still just staring at them!! what a wimp!)

Michelle xxx

Laurie28
28-10-03, 14:39
Michelle,

No I can't take them I'm too scared. I have frequent anxiety attacks and panic attacks are becoming less. I am (I think) slowly getting better). Alot of fellow sufferers have posted alot of information on this site re relaxation and lifestyle changes (eg foods, herbs, vitamins to try ) and i am starting to take these on board. I still have anxiety attacks often (if u read some of my previous posts I have a serious problem with food and prescribed medication!!
I told my doctor I could not take the anti depressants as I was too scared and he referred me for cognitive behaviour therapy. it took a few months but I have started to go but it is still early days.
Anti-depressants do calm anxiety and panic but you still have to work on the problems as they will probably still be there when you come off the tablets.
However alot of people on this forum have taken anti-depressants and it has helped them immensely. Personally I prefer to try other methods but only you can decide what is best for you

You are not a wimp as alot of people have said to me it is a vicious cycle that you, me and alot of other people on this forum have to get out off. This is why it is great we have both found this site so we can support each other.

luv
Lucky

Meg
28-10-03, 14:44
Hi Mich,

You can go to the search option at top right of this page and put in key words. Saves trawling through them all.

You can overcome panic attacks without needing medication - it's totally your choice. A combination of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and medications is a very popular option. Discuss with with your doctor. The sooner the better - before you start avoiding lots of things.

I had prozac for a while but when I came off it and hadn't made any changes in my lifestyle or thought pattern the panic returned so I've done all the hard work meds free. There's lots of stuff on this site to point you in the right direction. Ask if you've got any questions we can perhaps help with.

What happened in the car originally ??

Meg

Laurie28
28-10-03, 15:06
To follow on from Radar . Avoidance was the worst thing I have done in all this. Please avoid avoidance (!!!?? )

Lucky

Meg
28-10-03, 15:22
Hi Lucky,

I think we've given Mich a few clear messages to be going on with.

It's so great to see spontaneous, consistant advice on message boards as it can be so confusing for new people to read conflicting messages.

Any more crunchy nut cornflakes yet ?

Meg

Mich
28-10-03, 15:25
Thank you Radar, thank you again Lucky - youre both V.helpful!!

about the car: I was driving home from work on what we know as the "parkway" 60mph no stopping dual carraigeway (6-7miles long),I came over all faint/dizzy, couldnt get a deep breath, my hands felt strange my body felt all tingly and I just wanted to close my eyes and go (if you know what i mean),I then joined queuing traffic and seemed to come round a bit whilst I was stationery. I continued my journey home (in a right state might I add)I rung my doctor immediately and she asked for me to go straight to her,which i did. thats when she sent me to the hospital for a checkover as my heart beat was v.fast and no one knew at this time it was panic. ( all in all between 5.15ish and 8.30pm ish that same evening I had about 4-5 funny turns - none as bad as the first one in the car. Then I had a couple months break (took lots of "Kalms" and cut "caffienne" out, and I thought this had worked!)- THEN THEY CAME BACK!! and wont go now!! although I dont have them everyday I can say at lease every 4/5 days I start feeling funny (and im always nervous in the car - where I tend to have the most attacks now!).

Thanx for listening (any suggestions?)

Take care Michelle

nomorepanic
01-11-03, 19:49
Michelle

I know the Parkway well - in Sheffield yeah?

My biggest problem is driving and I am still trying to conquer it.

I came back from Leeds yesterday - took me 4 1/4 hours - by the time I got to Luton I was exhausted and just burst into tears. I still had a 40 minute drive home from there.

It is very tiring feeling like this and I can sympathise with you.

What I do is go out driving each night alone - just a few miles each day to regain my confidence - it helps!

Nicola

Mich
01-11-03, 22:17
Nicola
Thank you for your reply.
I didn't like the Parkway the best of times, I wont even go on it now since the attacks have got worse ( Ive been driving the side roads home ,via meadowhall etc) it takes me ages though, and I still dont feel too good then, but at least I can pull over as and when.

Im off sick at the moment, but will be going into work just to visit and mainly to keep the driving going! I dont want to loose my confidence totally!

Ive even thought about changing my job to avoid long journeys, but I love my work and my employers. Public Transport is a bit awkward too because of where I live in Rotherham and I work on the outskirts of Sheffield City Centre.

I'm only hoping I will overcome it soon......... I'm determing never to give up driving!

Michelle x

nomorepanic
01-11-03, 22:30
Hi Mich

God I know how bad it can be. Driving is still bad for me. I have to face the A1 every day and that freaks me out! We have to practise driving and it gets better - well sometimes !

Keep trying it - go at night when it is quiet and get confidence!

Good luck

Nic

Mich
01-11-03, 22:49
Thank you Nicola - I will take your advice. I will go on the Parkway again too oneday!!!!

twister
02-11-03, 19:35
Regarding starting on anti-depressants I will tell you my experiences:

1st time on Cipralex - around a year ago

I took 10mg just before I went to bed My doctor told me to start on 10mg even though the leaflet says to start on 5mg. I woke up 3 hours later convinced I was dying I had NEVER felt so bad. I was nauseous, panicky and convinced I was dying. I didnt sleep a wink, I phoned my doctor in tears the next day and went in to see him. He prescribed me Stemeril for nausea, Valium and told me to take only 5mg of Cipralex and to take them in the morning. After about a week I felt human again - although annoyed as my doctor obviously didnt know the correct dosage i should have taken.

2nd time on Cipralex - started two weeks ago

I was prepared this time, I took them in the morning, made sure I only took 5mg for a week as the packet said and also had valium to hand as they do make panic worse for a week. It was so much better this time, I didnt even get any nausea. I am on 10mg now and they are working already - I went om the tube last night for dinner with my boyfriend and was able to manage my anxiety and have a great evening.

So if you do decide to take them don't panic(!) about all the listed side effects, just accept you will feel worse before you feel better but the side effects should pass. And if you agree I'd get the doctor to prescribe a little valium - just a weeks worth to get you through. And regarding alcohol I have drunk both times and had no problems, although alcohol does make panic worse in general as it is a stimulant.

I have also been really inspired though by all the people on this site who have got through without meds - I hope whatever your decision you feel better soon.

Mich
03-11-03, 11:16
Cheers Twister for your advice, I havent taken them as yet, my attacks have been less frequent, probably as im off work sick (not driving as often!!), hopefully I wont need take them at all, even when I go back to work.

Reading peoples stories on this site really does help, it makes you realize you are not on your own, and makes you realize that medicine isn't always the answer - Thank you people xx

nlancashire
11-11-03, 22:28
If you read the info in the packet for citalopram it will tell you that for the first 2 weeks of taking the tablets the symptoms of anxiety will usually increase.

This is normal and expected and the benefits are usualy seen week 3 onwards.

Neil[:o)]

sarah
11-11-03, 23:20
Hiya
I totally agree with neil here. I was more anxious at first while my brain was getting used to the new 'happy' signals the meds were giving me. Since about week 4 ive been only experiencing anxiety and not full blown panic
Sarah

Mich
12-11-03, 16:21
Hi Sarah

How long have you been taking them for now?
Cheers Michelle

nomorepanic
12-11-03, 17:09
I took Citalopram (over 3 years ago now) for a few weeks and I felt terrible - much worse.

I was prescribed it for my sleep problems but I found it made the panic much worse. To be honest I didn't wait for the 3rd week - the first 2 were bad enough!

Nicola

sarah
12-11-03, 17:31
Hi michelle
Ive been on them for about 5 or 6 months i think. Ive gone from being aaoraphobic to being able most days to pop to the shops on my own and go to busy pubs on occasion and i even went to ibiza last month so they must be working for me!
love Sarah

twister
12-11-03, 20:41
I have been on Cipralex 4 weeks and am starting to feel much better already.

blossom
12-11-03, 23:10
from Blossom
Regarding Citalopram, I have been on them almost nine weeks now, and the first few weeks were horrid, panicked more, but the pamphlet said that was normal, however I still get panics, but what is causing me more problems at present is the tearfullness, I dont know if that is one of the side effects but I know I have to try and do things, but they have not lifted my mood at all yet, maybe its because I am addicted to valium, worst luck, I must say though, I was in rather a state when I started taking the citalopram, so maybe it is my state that is causing the tears, I take 20mgs in the mornings, if anyone has any comments to make, I would be grateful, dont want to have to change pills again. Lets hope they work on me soon, and give me confidence. from Blossom xx

twister
13-11-03, 13:32
Hi Blossom

Have you tried to get any help with coming off of Valium? I know that long term use of these can lead to depression....

Emily

sarah
13-11-03, 18:54
Hi Blossom
I think that maybe the valium are working negatively with the cipramil so maybe thats why its taking longer to kick in and work for you. I shouldnt worry too much about the tears as its your way or releasing the frustration. can you imagine how you would feel if you kept it bottled in?
Anyway keep at it and think positive, im sure you will get there sooner or later.
love Sarah
xxxx

pauline
26-12-03, 12:23
Hi All

I should of not done it i told myself i was not going to read the leaflet that came with the Citalpram that the doctor has just given me. This time i was just going to take as i feel i'm not moving on. I'm so much better than i used to be and have done that just by hard work and councelling and really understanding panic and what it does to your body. But i'm stuck where to go to local shops is fine even to go to work i can now manage( job is 10 min walk away) but to go any further cause's me terrible panic and fear. I have to move on, i need to be able to go visit friends that i have made on the internet, having panic has made it that over the years i have lost so many friends they just got sick of asking me out and me just saying no all the time and not giving a reason was to ashamed and hated myself for it. Still hate myself hate the way i am and what a sad life i have. Thought right i have to take tabs over the years have avoided them but well i'm desperate now to do something just cannot live like this anymore and another new year is coming. Doctor has given me 10mg of Citalopram to take i'm thinging of cutting in half and taking 5mg will be back at work soon and by reading the posts on Citalopram the side-effects are not good for the fist 2 weeks, how have the people who have taken this drug coped with everyday life when they first started taking them. I know i have come a long way to the person i was years ago and i'm proud of that. I myself think that my life to some extent will always have fear. Fear is such a terrifying feeling its something which i feel never really leaves you. These tabs are given to you to help for panic but when you read side-effects that you may get there it is panic. Why car'nt there be one that just helps that calms you down and helps you get on with life without all the side-effects.

Take care
Pauline

Ps The people that posted on here that were taking Citalopram could they please give me a update how they are and how they are feeling. Thanks so much.

pjpriest

sarah
26-12-03, 12:41
Hiya Pauline

You said it all in your 2nd to last sentence.... Side effects that you MAY get!!!!
I didnt get side effects in the first 2 weeks taking mine so you never know you MAY not get any either.
You asked for an update on how people taking citalopram are currently feeling...well ive had a completely panic free xmas, been visiting friends and relatives where i would normally feel trapped. Went to the pub for xmas eve....all these things I missed out on last year because i felt so bad, so i guess that the medication must be having a positive effect on me.
love Sarah
xx

Prettyface110
26-12-03, 14:43
Hiya,

I've just started taking Escitalopram on Monday. I used to take citalopram but I didn't feel any better so my doctor has prescribed me these which are apparently a newer version. I have been feeling more anxious but this is too be expected in the first 1 or 2 weeks. I am determined to ride it out though as I am hoping that these effects will be short lived and I'll start to feel better in the new year. The worst thing for me is the increased palpitations. I also feel a bit hyper sometimes and my palms are hot. It's like I've got too much nervous energy. I also find my memory is effected.
Anyone experienced similar?

much luv,
prettyface110

pauline
27-12-03, 13:08
Hi Prettyface

just wanted to ask you. when you first started taking Cipalopram who where you? Did you have any side effects and if so how did you cope with them.

Take care
Pauline

pjpriest

Eytier
27-12-03, 18:41
Hi, I'm new to the boards and in a dilema also about taking Citalopram....
I developed vertigo about 6 months and after various tests, my inner ear has been damaged so my balance is 'off'- which makes me dizzy..
This in turn makes me anxious and even more dizzy.
The DR suggested I try Citalopram to help with the anxiety and panic attacks I get, but am worried it will make me more dizzy and be difficult to come off.
Are these tablets addictive? Is there anyone out there who has come off them with no problems?
I didn't want to go down this road but need some relief - I feel drained all the time trying to cope on a day to day basis.
How do these tablets compare to valium etc??
Any advice would be most welcome!!

Prettyface110
28-12-03, 14:20
Hi Pauline,

Yes, I have experienced side effects which up until last night were mild. I have had increased anxiety, palpitations and a strange tingly feeling since taking I started taking them on Monday. However, last night I had a really bad time when I woke up about 2 hours after taking my usual dose. I had some friends and family over all day for a meal, my husband was drunk so I put him to bed and decided to turn in myself. When I woke to go to the toilet I became really aware of feeling tingly and hyper. My thoughts were racing and I felt raelly high but in an unpleasant way. I felt like I was going to die and my heart was thumping and my hands were shaking really badly. I felt extremely sick and could'nt sit still. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm only taking 5mg and am now really scared to take any more (I'm supposed to start increasing the dose on Monday). I don't think i can cope with another night like last night! I had a few drinks (alcoholic) during the day but nothing since about 9p.m. I was really de-hydrated, does this make a difference?

I'd be grateful for any comments/advice.

much luv,
prettyface110

Meg
28-12-03, 17:50
Hi Pretty face,

Dehydration is a big trigger for many as is a low blood sugar which you may have had if you'd had a big meal earlier but nothing since apart from alcohol.

Also post alcohol anxiety is always worse - especially when settling in on new meds. You could stay at this dose an extra day or two until you feel more stable .

Meg

Meg
28-12-03, 17:58
Jo ,

Citalopram are a different family from valium and not addictive in that way at all.

Lots of people have them and find great relief and they help enormously and they come off them easily eventually. They do not cure anxiety/ panic but mood alter and give you the 'ready brek glow ' feeling. You will need to challenge yourself whilst on them so you can cope when you decide to come off them.

CBT and meds are a very powerful sucessful combination.

Meg

Prettyface110
28-12-03, 18:05
Thanks for your thoughts Meg,
I am a lot calmer today (although I'm still getting a lot of fluttering in my chest) I'm really in 2 minds about taking my medication tonight. On the one hand I'm wondering if I only had such a bad time because of a low blood sugar level and dehydration (as you suggested), but on the other I'm dreading having it happen again tonight as I don't think I could cope as it was so awful! It kept coming over me in waves and felt similar to having a "whitie" after smoking too much pot (which I never do anymore as this stimulates my anxiety). I did feel better after sipping some water and pacing about for an hour or so. I'm going to phone my doctor tommorrow and tell her what happened but I'm still worried about tonights meds.

Prettyface110 (Ally)

pauline
28-12-03, 19:36
Prettyface

Perhaps take tabs in the morning, i asked my doctor when i should take them and she said in the morning. I said about not sleeping well and she said i could take at night but it might make me dream more. So perhaps night time is not the best time to take them. I was thinking of starting the 5mg tomorrow of course since i have read your post i'm not so sure now. sure do not wan to suffer what you did that sounds frighting an reminds me of when i first started suffering with anxiety and panic. tell us know what you decide to do if you will take tabs or not. I can understand if you do not want to but perhaps the morning is best.

Take care
Pauline

pjpriest

Prettyface110
28-12-03, 22:49
Hi
Still not sure about taking my meds tonight. I might try and take half of what I've been taking just to keep it in my system as I don't really want to give up quite yet. Maybe last nights reaction was just a one off? I take them at night 'cause then I usually sleep through the strongest of the side effects (except for last night). I'm still very aware of my heart beat and I don't like it, does anyone else get this on Escitalopram?

Prettyface110

Meg
28-12-03, 22:55
Ally,

If you're been eating and drinking normally today and off alcohol take your normal dose and tell yourself it was over indulgence.

Heart racing, palps , pounding etc are usual and normal stress reactions and you're stressed over this incident. Let it alone and it will go away by itself.

Meg

blossom
28-12-03, 23:09
Blossom. I have been on 20mgs, of Cipramil now for almost 4 months, and I also am addicted to valium unfortunately, but it seems the cipramil are still giving me palpitations, and my mood has not ellivated, still very weepy, and afraid to go out, although I did make it down to my sons home on Christmas dinner, and Boxing day, with my grandchildren as well, but it seems that yesterday and today, I have been more anxious, whether its missing the company or what I dont know, he only lives about 3 miles away, and nearly never made it but managed to stop about 4 hours. Since been back to normal routine, being agoraphobic, I have been feeling very anxious, and seem to be going backwards, We do not see any company in out house, except when my son comes, and when he goes, the sadness comes back. I thought the cipramil may have helped, the doctor did up them to 30 mgs but had an awful time of panics getting on them, so please answer to what you think about why I am like this, please help Blossom.

Prettyface110
28-12-03, 23:15
Thanks Meg,

I think I will take my usual dose and just put it down to a one-off. However I'll wait till I'm ready to go to sleep and hopefully I won't wake tonight when the side-effects are at their strongest and I have heightened awareness. I'll phone my doctor in the morning then to see if she has any advice. It seems wierd though that my heart racing isn't normally much of an issue when I panic, except when I'm taking meds then I'm even aware of it thumping even when I'm completely relaxed.

prettyface110

benoo5
28-12-03, 23:54
hello blossom,

ive really missed chatting to you,as i dont get into the chat room much these days.

firstly my friend,any doctor,that presribes valium to a patient for 20yrs should,in my oppinion be reported to the area health authority.

now blossom,write down exactly how you are feeling,leave nothing out....and go to the doctor with syd,if my memory is right..and dont leave the surgery until your feeling happy...its your rite ,my friend,the gp is paid extra every time you walk into his/her surgery...its about time blossom,you got your moneys worth...ireally feel out of everyone on this site,you have been dealt a bad set of cards,and the dealer happens to be your doctors...best wishes..bryan.

sarah
29-12-03, 01:48
Hi Blossom

Long time no speak.
Sorry you arent feeling that better but I urge you to look on the bright side. Although you are feeling bad and have gone back into agoraphobia...look at what you have acomplished. You went to your sons house and stayed for 4 HOURS!!!! I bet you didnt think you could manage that did you? Best advice I can give is to keep pracicing going out. The more you do it the more familiar it will become and the less the panic will have a hold on you. Can you visit you son a couple of times a week for an hour or so and get your husband to take you for little drives sometimes. Even walking to your front gate once a day and counting to ten and going back indoors will help you feel comfortable being outside again. Thats what I did to get over it myself. I really wish I lived closer to you and I would come see you to explain myself better.
My heart goes out to you Blossom.

love Sarah
xx

blossom
30-12-03, 22:22
from Blossom Thankyou sarah for your message on the forum, I have had some bad days since I did go down my sons, guess its missing the company, he wanted us to stay longer, but I could feel the odd feeling coming on, but he was pleased we went, Sarah, Can you tell me if you had palpitations on Cipramil, the doctor upped them to 30 mgs, but I did not take the extra 10mgs, as the heart beating is awful, and I am still so down, even rang a doctor today, as I was in a state. Please let me know, I even rang the makers of ciramil, and the man said it was a side effect, but its a thing I am scared of, and thats one of the things thats stops me attempting to go out. Please answer me sarah. or anyone else that is on the same Cipramil, they have not ellivated my mood at all 4 months now. Hope to see you soon on line. blossom xx

Prettyface110
31-12-03, 14:23
Hi Blossom,

I started taking Cipramil 9 days ago and have had increased palpitations. I also upped my dose for the first time last night (from 5mg to 10mgs) and I know exactly what you mean about the heart beating. It's like I'm really aware of every beat, even when I'm relatively relaxed, and I too don't like the thumping. In fact, reading your post reassured me that I'm not the only one experiencing this thumping heart and I now find it easier to accept it as a side effect.
I also think this is preventing me from going out and doing things. Last night I saw my Mum for the first time in a year and she wanted to take me and my hubby out for a meal. I gritted my teeth and went even though I was panicking about the palpitations. At one point I told my hubby that I couldn't stay and eat and nearly left, but I told myself that it was just a side effect of my meds and that I'd be perfectly fine but could leave anytime I wanted. It was a real fight but I managed to get through it, and eat a meal, and even go on to have a coffee afterwards which made my Mum's night.
So, Blossom it's going to be a real struggle to face your fears but if I can do it I know that you can too. I know exactly how you feel.
Take it one step at a time and collect up those little victories!

much luv,
prettyface110 (Ally)

sarah
31-12-03, 14:55
Hiya Blossom

Yes I did get a bit of palpitations at first but not too bad and they have stopped now. I only get them when I am having panic now. (which by the way is not very often). I am on 20mg but a few months ago my doc put me up to 30mg. I took them for about a week and stopped them as i felt really dizzy so im back to 20mg and doing ok.

You say they havent alleviated your mood? Well I still get down even now, the tablets arent a miracle cure unfortunately. I find i feel more fed up when im at home all the time.

The more i go out and acomplish something, the happier I feel with myself. I NEVER feel completely fine when im out and ALWAYS have chest pains and palpitations but I try not to give in and still try to do stuff.

I even managed the boxing day sales!!!!! (feeling terrible and holding on to my husband for dear life) but I did it and its another thing i can look back on with pride when im feeling down.

I guess what im trying to say is, you need to do things to be proud of to make you feel happier and better because the next time you go to do something and think you cant you can say to yourself 'well i did (whatever) the other day so i can do this now!

love Sarah
xxxxx

by the way Ally, really well done mate for going for the meal and surviving, I know its hard, I hate feeling 'trapped' in restaurants too!!!

Crispy Cornflake
21-01-04, 18:25
I was prescribed citalopram back in November, but never took them after reading the leaflet. I started exercising everyday and whilst this has helped a lot, I had a really bad attack today. In fact, I'm just starting to calm down now. I feel that I should give the medication a go as I really can't go on like this. Am I right in thinking that they will mask the problem of anxiety, enabling me to treat the root cause (or causes in my case). Also, it says on the leaflet to avoid alcohol. What's the opinion of those taking the med on this issue. To be honest, I've cut the alcohol right down, but do like a few drinks now and again. Also, could I exercise as normal whilst taking them? I am really enjoying my cycling and would like to do some time trials in the summer, something I've not done for two years now. Lastly, I work on the railway and my work involves being out on the track when there is moving trains and actually driving trains on odd occasions. How will the medication affect my work (if at all). I did ask my GP and he said it wouldn't have any affect on my ability to do my job. Is this right?

Sorry for waffling, but thanks for reading.

Take care all.

Meg
21-01-04, 22:34
Hi Crispy,

Yes exactly , they will give you a break so you can deal with the issues.

Go easy on alcohol. Some is fine - lots will make you feel very horrible the next day.

Exercise is great - keep it up.

SSRI's will not affect your work. They are not tranquilizers like valium or Xanax which might do if overdone.

Hope that helps ..

Good luck.

Meg

pauline
23-01-04, 10:09
Hi Crispy

I have been taking Citalopram now for about 3 weeks and so far it has been the best med that i have tried as far as side-effects go. Like you i am much better and help myself as much as i can but i still suffer with going far away from the house and this resticts my life so much. so i decided to give these meds a try, and so far the side-effects have been minimum, which i'm grateful for. I take mine in the morning and i do still have a few drinks in the evening not to much just a couple of glasses of wine.

I'm sure you will be fine, let us know what you decide to do and don't forget that they are a SSRI so they need time to get into your body. I cannot say that they are really helping me at the moment but its early days. As it takes at least 4 to 6 weeks to notice any changes. I just thought i'd tell you how i was getting on with them and i am a person who hates to take meds. But like you thought i have to do something.

Take care
Pauline

pjpriest

nickp
23-01-04, 11:17
hi - im new here - nick, 30 from london.

been prescribed Citalopram for depression/aggression - also starting CBT soon.

can anyone help me? when shall i take them...if i take in morning i feel a bit spaced (new job - not a good idea)

are they ok to take at night? or will they keep me awake...it says they make you drowsy...but i wake up a few times in the night now...

also - this 'inability to orgasm' thing....is that all the time or will that wear off?!! very very frustrating!!

ta all xn

pauline
23-01-04, 11:41
Hi Nick

I asked doc about taking at night and she said it would be fine to take then just that you might dream more but said that was nothing to worry about. what strengh tabs have you? i have 10mg but for the first week i cut up and just took 5mg and there was not much side-effects. Does lower sex drive but perhaps after taking for sometime ya body gets used to it it might come back not sure though but if it helps with anxiety i don't care.

take care
pauline

pjpriest

sarah
23-01-04, 12:12
Hi Nick

Welcome to the site.
Im on citalpram too and I take mine at night with no real side effects with sleep etc. Ive never been good at getting to sleep and still arent so its nothing to do with the meds.
Hope this helps!

love Sarah
xx

nickp
23-01-04, 13:27
thanks sarah and pauline
im on 20mg so will start taking @ night now - someone said they increase your dreams - lovely!
sex drive is fine - still a more than typical bloke! shame my ex has left - she would appreciate it lowered.
when i had seroxat i had the same problem - just took ages if you know what i mean!
many thanks...have a lovely w/e
xn

Crispy Cornflake
24-01-04, 02:44
Hi Pauline,

I haven't started taking the med yet. I was prescribed 20mg a day. I'm still a bit apprehensive about taking it because of all the possible side effects. Reading through the posts on citalopram, feeling "spaced out" after taking it seems to be quite common. That's not good IMO. Also, lowered sex drive, slower reaction times etc etc. How long are the side effects likely to last do you think? As the med is obviously meant to be taken for a wee while, surely the side effects must wear off after a few weeks so that we can lead a normal(ish) life. I'm not too bothered about drinking alcohol though, I was just curious as to its effect whilst on the medication and giving it up for a while would be no hardship really.

Radar - due to my work, we have to declare any medication precription or otherwise, and it gets checked by BUPA who say if we can carry out safety critical work. I got our admin to have citalopram checked out and it did not get a favourable response. They said it was likely to cause drowsiness and slow reaction times. They also said it would be questionable whether I could continue with safety critical work whilst on the medication. Ultimately though, the decision lies with my boss but this would entail having to tell him the cause and as I have no faith in him I don't want to be telling him personal things. I feel cornered. Has anyone any suggestions? The only other alternative is to report sick which I don't really want to do.

Take care all.

pauline
24-01-04, 13:29
Hi Crispy

I was only given 10mg and to be honest yes at first it was rough mostly sweating and heart jumping cannot say that i felt spaced out though. what i did was cut up the tabs and just took 5mg for 7days and then took 5mg in the morning and the other half about 3pm for about 7 days and now i have been taking 10mg for the last 5 days and so far it has been ok. Over the years i have been given lots of tabs to try for anxiety but the side effects have been horrible so i have never stuck with them. To me this one is the best and i'm going to stick with it and hope that it works. Perhaps you could do the same as me as this way your body slowly gets used to the drug and it lessons the side effects. I understand about going on the sick and this is what worried me as did not fancy taking a new med and working as well but i carried on working and was ok. Of course my job is Admin work not like your's so perhaps you may need to go on the sick if you decide to take tabs. You have to do what is best for you.

Take care
Pauline

pjpriest

Meg
24-01-04, 13:50
Hi Crispy,

I can understand your dilemma with not wanting to discuss it with your boss.

'Like tricyclic antidepressants, other SSRIs and MAO inhibitors, citalopram suppresses REM-sleep and increases deep slow-wave sleep. The main metabolites of citalopram are all SSRIs although their potency and selectivity ratios are lower than those of citalopram but higher than those of many of the newer SSRIs. The metabolites do not contribute to the overall antidepressant effect.

In humans citalopram does not impair cognitive (intellectual function) and psychomotor performance and has no or minimal sedative properties, either alone or in combination with alcohol'

I guess they've got your safest interests at heart at work but are lumping all Ad's together.As this one is one of the newest it has less interactions and side effects but Bupa should know that. Maybe they're taking the view that if you're on this class of drug you are likely perhaps to be less attentive to work matters as you have other issues going on.

You could speak to Bupa and challenge it . Do you have an Occupational Health doc ? Possibly a little time off sick whilst you adjust may help.

Let us know what you decide

Meg

pauline
24-01-04, 14:02
Hi Meg

Perhaps you could answer me this question? Why do doctors put you on SSRIs. When i am not depressed at all. Never have been just have panic and fear. When reading the leaflet for citalopram it says for people that are very depressed. I just do not get how its supposed to help with anxiety. Do you think it will help me? By the way i love your posts there reasurring and you know so much about the medical stuff.

Take care
Pauline

pjpriest

Meg
24-01-04, 17:59
HI Pauline,

Seratonin is currently in favour for being the mood altering substance..

With depression we're trying to alter a state of mind , the same with anxiety and panic.

Some of the SSRI's have now been through enough positive outcome clinical trials to warant them getting a license for using them for the indication of panic and anxiety. The rest are following suit.

They can be very effective but they are a mood altering drug only and may give you a huge break where you feel normal and well again but as soon as they are out of your system +- 6-8 weeks in total for some people, if the underlying issues originally leading to anxiety are still there, then the symptoms will return shortly afterwards.

Its now recommended that the length of time on AD's is 18- 24 months. It's found that gives enough time for peoples lives to have moved on ie after a bereavement, divorce, work pressures so when they come off AD's all is well and the triggers have gone.

For others, people work on their issues CBT or similar to improve their situation and get over it that way.

Meg

vwalker
26-01-04, 22:13
Hi Pauline

I have suffered PA's for the past 15 months on a daily basis. My main panic zone is the bus to work, it takes a motorway route and is usually stuck in traffic for a couple of hours. I (to put it bluntly) suffered diaorrohea before i left the house, adrenaline and anxiety on the way to the bus stop, once on the bus, i would have burning stomach pains, hot sweats, inability to breathe normally, crushing chest pains, and feel like i was going to have a heart attack and internal explosion. You know the rest!! It's lovely having this site where you can talk to people who suffer the same, my friends try to understand but.... It then started just visiting local shops, i now make excuses not to go shopping with friends.

Last week i had an attack that was so bad i called out to a couple sat in front of me who sat with me and reassured me. But calling out was almost like releasing a tap and i felt so much better. But, because they were strangers, if it was somebody i knew i would probably feel worse.

Anyways, to cut a long story short, i was prescribed citalopram a month ago, i only had side effects really for the first week, and it was a different effect every day. One day i had headaches, another day i had nausea, then one day i had slow reactions. e.g. buying lunch I dropped my purse on the floor, but instead of picking it up i just looked at it and couldn't get brain to hand connection. A bloke picked it up for me. Great pulling technique! But .... now i am side effect free.

If i take late at night i have vivid dreams, but never nightmares.

I am still not panic free, but i do not have the anxiety and diarrohea before i leave the house, this improvement came after the first five days. I realise they take time before i am virtually panic free, and am prepared for the long haul with them. My main problem is not drinking, i still tend to have a few on a Saturday but i do have an increased heart rate the next day.

Panic is not something i would ever have believed i would suffer, and unfortunately i think it will be something i will fight always, but hopefully i will have long periods of panic free time soon.

My doctor has advised me to deliberately put myself in a situation to bring on an attack, which i told him i do every morning i leave for work on the bus. He advised i also take this journey at weekends and make myself have an attack, he obviously has never suffered from them!!!

I hope you start to feel better soon Pauline! Just remember, a lot of people out there suffer and the person next to you may be fighting the very same demons.

Love x

pauline
27-01-04, 15:03
Hi vwalker

Oh i so understand what you are saying about panic and the upset stomach. My anxiety started when i had a bad bug with diorrea and sickness but this lasted for about 3 months untill one night i was really ill. From then on i was frighted to go anywhere incase i had upset stomach so my world got smaller and smaller. I did do without meds and did recover some mainly cause i met a new fella and well was in love (not so sure now though) as he is not much good with panic. I went to college got a good job but then the panic came back worst than ever and i could not go anywhere let alone on a bus that was nightmare journey. I think you are brillient for keeping going and you should be really pleased with yourself. I am working now just at a place where i can walk to. But i thought i have to try and do something to be able to go further, so thats why i am taking the Citalopram and you are right the side-effects are hardly anything at all now. So i'm going to keep takeing, have to say cannot see it helping me much at the moment but i'm only taking 10mg what are you taking? Let me know how you are and thanks for replying if you are MSN perhaps we could chat my MSN is on my profile.

Take care
Pauline

pjpriest

Annie
27-01-04, 22:06
Hi Pauline

Thanks for the reply, using my nickname Annie now though, but still me!

I swap and change my bus times trying to find the emptiest one i can that will still get me in work on time. At the moment I keep being late, getting stuck in traffic and waiting for quiet buses. I caught one at 7.30 this morning thinking it would be quiet. It wasn't, as soon as we hit the motorway i started as usual,i had to open a window, but you know what the weather is at the moment, the people behind me just closed it right away. But what can you do?

I am taking 10mg of the Citalopram, and to be honest i think i am going to change the time of day i take it. When i first started i was taking it about 10 in the morning, by my bus journey the following morning i felt a lot better. Since i started taking it at night i do feel like i have an increased heart rate when i wake up. Again this is probably temporary, but its finding the right times that suit i suppose.

How have you been today? Afraid I am not on MSN.

Annie

nickp
28-01-04, 10:14
hey all
i have now been taking the tablets for 7 days...still waking up at funny times and my legs are wide awake at 5am!
probably should avoid caffeine as very jittery after my coffee?
are shakes/'inability to orgasm' just a temporary side effect?
how long before the drug settles and i can be 'normal' at work? (new job)
moods are a bit better....still getting sad but not for long
also....find it hard to get excited about anything?

any help appreciated...nick

sarah
28-01-04, 12:03
Hiya Nick

I hardly drink caffiene anymore and ive found i am less jittery. If by some chance I do have any I do feel more anxious so yeah, maybe get decaf coffee and see how you go.

Its different for everyone how long it takes for you to settle on meds so I can only say who knows but I was ok on mine practically from the start.

As for the side effects, I think a lot of them are brought on by dwelling on them, the more I used to think about it, the more I was convinced how I felt was due to the tabs. Ignoring it and getting on with it made them lessen or maybe I just wasnt noticing it so much.

hope this helps

love Sarah
xx

nickp
28-01-04, 13:59
thanks sarah xn

pauline
28-01-04, 18:51
Hi Annie and Nick

Annie what time do you take the Citalopram now then? I take mine about 9:am i think the doctor said to take it then. But i did ask about taking before going to bed, she said it would be ok but i have not done that as would rather know what side-effects are, as you say Annie they are not to bad. I suppose i think they are not doing me that much good but perhaps i would be worse without them. I hate the snow and so far have not been to bad. Even though its bad here at the moment. I suppose I always have some kind of anxiety with me just demends on how bad it is from one day to the next. Here's hopeing that your bus ride into work was not to bad today. Keep telling yourself it cannot get any worse. You will be fine you can cope. I always say i can over come all my fears and doughts when the panic is bad and it does work.

Nick are you taking the tabs at night? perhaps take them in the morning. It could be the anxiety making your legs shake i used to have that lots when the anxiety was out of control. Its nothing to worry about as the anxiety lessons so will the shaking. As Sarah said avoid caffine it used to make me so much worse and now i only have one cup of tea a day. You should be seeing an improvement soon.
there has to be better times ahead for us i'm sure :)put it this way it cannot get any worse.

Take care
Pauline

pjpriest

nickp
29-01-04, 12:24
hey all
yep - am taking at night but GP said try lunchtime as the reason im waking @ 4ish is due to th etablet kicking in....i dont want to yawn/shake @ work so lunchtime is good ....home in time!

xn

Annie
29-01-04, 21:17
Hi Pauline & Nick

I am taking mine about lunchtime now, my thinking behind this was that if i take first thing in the morning it may increase my panic on the bus, and if i take at night it may stop me sleeping. Plus I have lunch at the same time at work every day so it means i can keep taking it at regular hours.

Hope you are still feeling ok about the snow. I was ok yesterday as i dont work on a Wednesday, was worried this morning so caught the quiet bus. This morning was a first for me though, there was a girl sat behind me on the bus and i explained to her that i often feel anxious on the motorway and if i did would she mind me opening the window. She was nice about it, and i felt a little better. Plus we did not get stuck in a jam. I really do feel that the tablets are starting to work a bit. Panic free days used to be a no no. I still panic but, having a day off from panic is good.

Telling someone i suffer from anxiety seemed a cop out though, anxiety is awful, panic is terrifying. You just don't feel like people will understand though?

Do you find the same? I find people say to me that they are having a panic attack in jokey conversation, and it is difficult for them to understand how bad they are. My boss at work is understanding but i think she thinks i suffer from palpitations.

Annie

pauline
30-01-04, 10:41
Hi Annie

Glab things seem a little better. I always find if i'm in the bus que and start to panic, which i do all the time as i just want the bus to come so i can get home. I always start talking to someone in the que and this helps me to stop thinking about the way i am feeling. I do think that these days anxiety and panic seem to be the !in! word and so many people say they are having a panic attack and really they are not they just do not understand at all, anyone who generally suffer's would never joke as they are such dreadful things to have. yes its great to have panic free days and i'm glab you are having them. It gives you hope and us anxiety people need that.

Take care
Pauline

pjpriest

pauline
22-02-04, 13:46
Hi All

Well after 6 weeks of taking citalopram, i have decided to come of it. Its just not helping me at all. Early wednesday morning i had the worst panic attack i have had in years i just could not talk myself out of it and it went on for 2 hours, i was so frightend and really did think i was going to die. I'm just thinking what am i doing taking tabs and this is my point, having the worst panic attack i have had in years. When i went to the doctors to get another months supply of the Citalopram i told the doc that i had been taking the 10mg for about 3 weeks and really did not think they were helping me but she said perhaps i needed to up to 20mg and of course me being me and hating taking tabs thought will try cutting up 10mg and taking 15mg all together which is what i had done that day. But i took 15mg early Tuesday morning and had the panic at 5.30am Wednesday so i thought could not be the tablets. Have to say it has set me back i'm trying to look at the postive in that i eventually went to sleep at 9am and had about an hours sleep and still went to work later so that was good, but its so hard when something like that happens. Now i just do not know what to do, i have decided to go back to doctors and perhaps see if could just have some diazepan for when things are very bad, like when i have to go far from home or perhaps just having them in my bag would help. Seei thought i would take tabs after suffing with anxiety and panic for years (15) but though panics are much better rarely have a proper panic attack i still am terrible going away from home and it spoils my life so i thought would try tabs. Have to say that when i first started with anxiety i was given tabs but they never did help me much but i thought well things have changed a lot from 15 years ago. I suppose i'm rambling here but i just do not know what to do for the best. I was so hopeing the tabs would help me.

Take care
Pauline

claire
22-09-05, 17:50
hi everyone i'm new to this website - ive just been prescribed my first anti depressant. yay! <sarcasm.>but i'm scared to take it because i keep reading about suicidal thoughts as a side effect! thats a pretty bad side effect! how does it make you feel in those first couple of weeks? surely it would make you feel better? its very worrying. i've only been prescribed 10mg to be cut in half. i just dont want to make myself worse! Please help! thanks! you can email me if you like!

yummymummy
25-09-06, 09:51
Hi everyone.I am new to this so bear with me. Heres a little info.
I am a full time time mother of two terror tots, aged 3 and 1 , boy and girl. I love my children, but they don't get what they deserve, i.e we don't go out alot, i feel like I am being judged by everyone. My doc prescibed me 20mg citalopram for depression, anxiety I have been on them for 3 weeks and can feel the effects slightly. Although still haven't musterd up the courage to go see my psychiotrist, anyway it would really be lovely to chat with someone as my husband doesnt quite understand. ta.

shalom
28-09-06, 21:41
I love you guys.
I did a forum search and didn't find anything, but the topic seems relevant here in several ways. So, can any of you boys share about Escitalopram/Cipralex and
- sexual dysfunction
- problems getting hard-ons
- general lack of libido (I mean: What's happened to that good ol' natural internal combustion mentally psychologically responsive physical drive, as contrasted to the mechanical Viagra induced response to physical stimulous!)

All this, in spite of Escitalopram/Cipralex's purported minimal negative sexual side-effects? And maybe you've got some solutions that work, even if you're 50+???

Maybe it's age, maybe all the self-abuse...

And if this isn't the place for this, please tell me where to go instead with this concern, this forum or otherwise.

Thanks for being here, wherever we are, and thanks, Saint Nicole,
Shalom

shalom
21-10-06, 17:42
I have once again experienced what often happens when I have a long sleep, especially during the day on the weekend, and especially when I don't have to begin doing things immeditaely upon waking. Perhaps some of you experience this and have found solutions.

By the way, I take 20 mg of Cipralex (escitalopram) a day.

I awake and have a very hard time putting thoughts together, following through with some intention (even the simplest, like "I will cross the room and get something"). Instead, my mind wanders from thing to thing inside, very creative, often enjoyable and sometimes profound thoughts, rarely remembered. Like being high. I often just sit and stare and "get stuck" in the middle of doing something simple, lost in thought.

If someone says something to me, it's very hard to change gears and respond logically. I normally speak a second language to my family, and it's very hard to speak that well in this state.

This last for up to an hour or so. If I am forced to begin moving or if I begin doing some single simple purpose, like sweeping or arranging the mess from the kids in a room, I will begin to get on track.

Perhaps some of you experience this and have found solutions? My family doesn't understand why I'm sometimes very different. I tell them daddy's mind doesn't work well after he wakes up.

Thanks for being there,
Shalom

matt1981
23-08-07, 20:23
I think citalopram will be good for me if it takesthe edge of anxiety because when I am a little more relaxed I can see my fears more objectively and challenge my fears. Feeling a little numb is better than how I am feeling now!!

matt1981
24-08-07, 19:33
hello everyone

ive been taking citalopram for two weeks, and i feel a bit weird. its quite hard to explain but ill have a bash.

im taking it for chronic anxiety which entails me being scared of dying or having an accident all the time. the fear is still there and im getting counselling for that, but it feels different somehow. i feel like its there but i cant feel it (i realise how nut-bar this sounds). im obsessing less about it, but its as if its become part of me, and it doesnt induce panic. is this the medication, cos i know that two weeks is not a long time for it to kick in, but there is defo a difference. i think numb would be a good word. anyway, im having silly ideas like 'o i must be ok now' and to be honest if feel like a bit of a fraud and like everyone thinks im just being a drama queen. im sat here testing my slef by thinking about dying and checking how i feel. theres just nothing - is anyone else tkaing citalopram and has anyone felt anything similar. and am i being a pillock?

love to all

amanda

Hey hun dont think about being a fraud just try and be happy with the fact that u dont feel as anxious as u were, ull probably get out of the habit of testing yourself, I have just started taking it last night and to be honest with you I don't care what it takes to make my feelings go away because if they dont soon I will not be here.

CliveL
26-08-07, 16:57
I am on 60mg of Citalopram, and I agree it makes me feel spaced out, it also slows the mind down so I don't have racing thoughts. I also feel numb to the point of not really feeling anything. I have no sense of thirst or hunger either and I don't know if this is the meds, my psychiatrist says it is psychological. Three months ago I joined the exercise on prescription program and have been going to the gym daily. I have never had a sore muscle since starting because I can't feel anything, which is a funny sort of advantage because everyone else gets aches and pains. I find concentrating difficult and decision making almost impossible.

AnxAndy
26-08-07, 17:22
Hey Amanda,
Sounds like the meds are working OK! chilled out, feeling numb, the anxiety is there but you dont worry? hey sounds good to me! Seriously, let the drugs do their stuff. If your not struggling with any side effects keep on! Your doc will give you regular reviews no doubt. I tried Citalopram but just got mega anxious as a side effect! so I stopped. several changes later Im now on Prozac, which seems to be having the desired effect....... I guess what Im saying is different people respond to different drugs. I didnt get on with Citalopram, you seem to, great! As for 2 weeks? I think they can kick in that quickly if they suit your physiology. Keep up trying whatever you need to hun, we'll ALL find our light at the end of the tunnel...... promise!

Andy xx

Frankie23
30-08-07, 14:19
Im onto week 4 of taking Citalopram after 2 weeks of dreaded side effects i think they are beginning to work.

Although i dont like the headaches or tiredness that goes with it i am a lot happier and have had time to adjust.

Im just hoping i get over the panic side of things.

Logan_Five
12-09-07, 18:35
I'm back on Citalopram after a break of a year. Back then, I moved over to a 20mg dose, after being on Prozac for 6 months. Don't remember having any side-effects at that time, but I'm certainly getting them this time round now ! Been taking 20mg a day for just over a week - have had the racing heart/sweaty palms which has given me one panic attack so far, and also one really sleepless night. Doc has given me some diazepam to help ride the storm out. That will only be getting used at night-times, however.

I've had a very stressful few weeks/months - I got married (good), but there's been problems in the family and also it looks as if me and my wife are going to suffer a 2nd miscarraige in 3 months. I guess things have just caught up with me, hence the anxiety/panic coming back.