PDA

View Full Version : losing my job because I have emetophobia

bugglesbeth
09-11-09, 13:24
Hi everyone I am just posting this on here because I would like to hear the views of fellow emetophobics. On Friday I was given a letter by my employer to say that I was on redeployment starting 1st December for three months. (this basically means they will look for another job for me for 3 months, if nothing suitable comes up then I get dissmissed!!):weep::shrug:

The only reason for this is because i am unable to go onto wards, and home visits on my own due to the level of anxiety that I get worrying that someone will be sick and that I would not be able to cope with it.

I have worked for them for 19months now and done everything on my job description, bar this, I have even gone beyond by sitting in on reception, when others are not happy to do reception and designing education posters.

O I am at a loss, I really try hard not to let this phobia get me down :lac: but at this moment thanks to my management it is becomming increasingly hard. Problem is when I am stressed and anxious my phobia doubles, trebles, quadruples... Help!!!

Please let me know your feelings on this topic I would be soooo grateful.

Bugglesbeth x:weep:

bugglesbeth
10-11-09, 09:15
Please, please, please someone comment.

ladybird64
10-11-09, 10:01
Hi Beth

I'm not an emetophobic but I hate to see a post go unanswered, hopefully someone will respond soon.
In the meantime you'll have to make do with me. :)
I'm sorry that you find yourself in a terrible position like this and I can imagine the stress must be awful. I can understand what you say about doing work that isn't in your job description (maybe that will be a strong point in your favour) but are you required to make unsupervised ward and home visits in your job description? If so then that might be a problem as I should imagine that you would be expected to carry out work of that nature. I noted in your previous post that you are a podiatry support worker, does that incude working unsupervised?
I honestly don't know the answer but I do think you need to discuss this with somebody. Do you have a line manager that you can talk to?

I honestly hope that this works out for you, please keep us updated. :hugs:

Joellie
10-11-09, 10:10
Surely they cannot dismiss you for this reason? Doesnt it go againt your human rights? Sorry i cant be of any help, i can understand them wanting you to fulfil the job role but surely if your doing other things for other people they could do you the favour?

den68
10-11-09, 12:44
if you have worked for them for over a year which you have . There are employment rights laws for anyone who has been in the same employment over a year and on a permanent contract. Talk to citizens advice or ring acas they will tell you if this is legal or not. Acas are really good and its only a phone call.

Denise

SharonDerby
10-11-09, 16:24
What kind of job do you do?
I'm emitaphobic too i'll help if i can xx

maeanna
12-11-09, 16:12
Hey can't the help find u another job where u don't have to do those things? I've just been made redundant partly coz of emetophobia so know how u feel but with ur job surely they can't discriminate against sum1 with anxiety as techinically its a mental health problem and there are now rights where they can't discriminate as long as ur fulfilling ur job description! Have u gotten any help for the emetophobia? I'm dreading finding a job coz my anxiety has virtually gone since not working!lol go see CAB and get advice hun,gd luck x

Danath
12-11-09, 17:21
Hi, I'm emetopphobic and I'm also looking to work towards becoming a psychiatric nurse in the future, this is something that has concerned me too, although its not general nursing im sure there will still be people there who will vomit from time to time and i may well have to clean it up myself. to be honest I'm just throwing myself into it head first sort of disregarding my own feelings and trying to look at it in a professional manner, I have lost 2 jobs this year due to anxiety though, but i think the fact ive got about at least 2 years to prepare myself is a comfort. what is your job title if you don't mind my asking?

Personally if its not actually part of your job description to go into the wards I don't see how they can dismiss you for it, I would also play the card of being discriminated against for a mental health disability, espescially as theres a huge campaign on at the moment to end stigma towards mental health problems. Its a tough situation to be in to be sure.

hope this helps, feel free to pm if you want to talk further. :)

Dan

maddie
13-11-09, 02:12
If I were you I would contact a Union without delay and also the CAB for legal advice so you know exactly what your rights are.

bugglesbeth
18-11-09, 18:02
Well thats it now. 3 months they will look for a job for me, after that dismissed end of feb'10. Now have chest pain from anxiety, am back with my parents, feeling rejected and going to councelling again. Oh what joy!!! thanks management. Have been advised by doctor to take week off work to get my head around things. :wacko:

mrmerlin
19-11-09, 17:41
sorry but i don`t think you have a leg or foot to stand on in this case ( sorry about the bad pun) unless you change your career surely chiropody would be better for you ? i cannot understand why you cannot do home visits as this is required for part of your work and usually not many people puking up at home if it`s something to do with feet or legs etc., maybe the ward visits might be a challenge as you get all sorts of illnesses on them , myself have never been afraid of this after my son at 4 months old decided to get rid of a full bottle into my mouth whilst i was lying on floor holding him up in air lol , after all it is mostly stuff we have eaten so will come out one end or the other ?

SharonDerby
20-11-09, 23:47
Oh the understanding of fear.

bugglesbeth
22-11-09, 11:03
Thanks I am pleased you feel the same way about that Sharon. I thought I was being stupid.

Beth x :)

maeanna
22-11-09, 19:18
No youre not being stupid and mrmerlin who has said they dont have this phobia cannot possibly understand hun.
Maybe u should have a think about what u really want to do in a job, theres nothing wrong with changing ur career. Im now doin a degree in psychology as i dont really want to work with children anymore! All the best xxx