PDA

View Full Version : Paint fumes as a trigger????

Panic33
09-11-09, 18:23
I was suffering bad panic attacks and anxiety, but after 10wks on AD I having been 99%fine for the last 3 1/2 weeks and my GP said he will start to take me off the ADs in a months time. Yesterday I spent the day painting (emulsion n gloss) which always gives me a bad head and it did - I had a terrible headache by the end of the day. I woke this morning to have a full panic attack (which I haven't had for well over a month). I spent most of the day worrying why this has happened and I'm wondering if it could be the paint fumes that have triggered.

Does this sound ridiculous??

[I did also have a flu vac on Thursday night and that knock me a little off side]

Maj
09-11-09, 18:44
You were maybe a bit apprehensive about getting your flu vaccination, and maybe you overdone the painting yesterday and are tired today and that's why you maybe feeling a bit panicky. Don't spend your time worrying about it, just accept it's a wee setback because you seem to be on the right track.
Myra:yesyes:

Downsinthenorth
09-11-09, 18:56
Just a thought, were you especially anxious or did you have a panic attack the last time you painted? I've found that mine can be triggered by innocuous activities or events (or smells), purely because my mind has developed an association between them.

It might be the flu jab though, as it can make you feel rough and therefore more susceptible.

KK77
09-11-09, 23:31
Hello my Panic friend!
Sorry you're not too good again. I'm confused as to why your GP wants to take you off sertraline. What happened to staying on an AD for at least 5-6 months after you recover? I really don't get these GPs - they all seem to have different ideas. Maybe part of your panic was the idea of coming off your AD, because I know you've felt so well on 100mg. My GP wouldn't dream of taking me off a med if I wasn't happy with it... I haven't done much painting recently, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the cause IMO! Stay in touch.

Gaza
09-11-09, 23:44
That used to be my trigger 'paint fumes' - when we would start to decorate I would say to my wife you'll have to do the glossing as it gives me a headache and makes me feel ill and sick. She would happily paint away with no affects and that bothered me, why did it get me and not her, but the association I had made with gloss paint and the fumes and the headaches was evident in my avoidance of using the stuff. Now I just make sure the rooms well ventilated and even stop and have a break in the fresh air for a while and I have reduced tha panic attacks dramatically.

Once your subconscious makes the connection, then the slightest thing associated with it will trigger the panic. I was a decorator for 15 years, never bothered me, had started to suffer anxiety and it took over my life and I couldn't paint no more and really worked hard to get myself sorted and paint with gloss again.

I also have taken sertraline 50mg for anxiety/depression.

Panic33
10-11-09, 00:05
Thank you for your replies. I'm hoping the panic attack was just a combination of the paint and the flu jab and not a sign that I'm getting worse again. Melancholia, good to hear from you - I've read before that you should stay on them 6months. Last time I took them my GP stopped them as soon as I told him I was feeling OK - maybe that's why got this anxiety this time??? Its odd how things can trigger - I think the fact I was run down and I had the headache prob started my mind thinking and that's what triggered the panic attack. I'm trying to forget about it as the more I wonder why the more I can feel the anxiety creeping back.

teez
10-11-09, 10:02
paint fumes used to effect me too,,it still does if im slightly anx,,but on the whole im ok now

Panic33
10-11-09, 17:45
paint fumes used to effect me too,,it still does if im slightly anx,,but on the whole im ok now

Crazy isn't it what can trigger us

sonny
11-11-09, 01:55
[QUOTE=Panic33;573427]I was suffering bad panic attacks and anxiety, but after 10wks on AD I having been 99%fine for the last 3 1/2 weeks and my GP said he will start to take me off the ADs in a months time. Yesterday I spent the day painting (emulsion n gloss) which always gives me a bad head and it did - I had a terrible headache by the end of the day. I woke this morning to have a full panic attack (which I haven't had for well over a month). I spent most of the day worrying why this has happened and I'm wondering if it could be the paint fumes that have triggered.

Does this sound ridiculous??

**** cheers for putting that into my head im suposed to be painting some time this week :roflmao::roflmao:ko m8 :)

Panic33
11-11-09, 09:16
Sorry sonny - doh

sonny
11-11-09, 20:26
i was only joking m8 :winks:

Panic33
11-11-09, 20:32
:)

teez
11-11-09, 22:44
i really love the smell of petrol normally ,,but if im even slightly uptight,,filling up the car with hubby can be a whole new adventure:D