PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow - the day of reckoning

mark1980
10-11-09, 16:56
So after a really awful few weeks I am finally seeing a neurologist tomorrow. I am so worried it is unbelievable, I can imagine those awful tests and how scared I am going to be about the results.

I have got better but still getting twitching, numbness, headache, dizziness and feeling out of it. Less panic attacks though, fortunately. It's either anxiety, labyrinthitis or a mixture of both - the loud voice in the back of my head keeps shouting about it being more serious though, to top it all off I just read about someone told they had labyrinthitis but it was leukemia so even more scared now. Just felt like getting it all off my chest and sharing, makes me feel slightly better.

agent orange
10-11-09, 17:11
Be strong and of good courage, we cannot diagnose you but we can give support. I hope the testing is not too bad and that you will be fine. Anxiety does give such awful symptoms that are like a neurological condition and believe me that I know because I have been to the neurologist and had tests all came back clear, but if your anxiety is long term /chronic,these symptoms I am told can
take a long time to get better.
blessings

lnew
10-11-09, 20:38
Good luck Mark for tomorrow, hope everything goes ok for you which I'm sure it will but I know you will still be worrying, it's only natural.

Let us know how things go.

shaz01
10-11-09, 21:43
Good luck for tomorrow Mark, my neurologist appt is another 3 and half weeks and Im absoultely pettrified, I also have the opticians on Thursday and Im so scared Im thinking of cancelling cos Im convinced they will see something sinister..........just stay strong and explain all your symptoms and let me know how it goes :-) x

mark1980
10-11-09, 22:40
I will sure let you know how things go. I also had an eye test to check for any signs of something wrong with the brain and yes I was worried about it like you are. I would advise telling the optician about your concerns, mine was really reassuring and explained that everything looked good, it put me at ease for a short while then I forgot - funny how we forgot the reassuring things and start to dwell on the bad again!

Thanks for the messages

mark1980
12-11-09, 16:07
Hi, so I saw the neurologist and he thinks it is mainly anxiety.

I think I played down my symptoms a bit and now regret it, but I felt a bit stupid explaining everything and like a silly anxious person - not someone who is really ill. He has decided to do an MRI and blood tests to be sure, which at least will put me at ease hopefully - still worried about the outcome a bit though.

Still convinced there is something wrong tough, I asked him about labyrinthitis and he said it was unlikely because people are normally violently sick with it - I still think what I have been experiencing adds up to it though.

Strange thing is that, after several days of being ok, I had an awful migraine type headache throughout last night. Not sure if it was brought on by alcohol, I had 1 beer and a glass of red wine. It seems I cannot tolerate any alcohol now without getting a migraine - anyone else had this? I used to be fine.

Cell block H fan
12-11-09, 21:03
Hi, so I saw the neurologist and he thinks it is mainly anxiety.

I think I played down my symptoms a bit and now regret it, but I felt a bit stupid explaining everything and like a silly anxious person - not someone who is really ill. He has decided to do an MRI and blood tests to be sure, which at least will put me at ease hopefully - still worried about the outcome a bit though.

Still convinced there is something wrong tough, I asked him about labyrinthitis and he said it was unlikely because people are normally violently sick with it - I still think what I have been experiencing adds up to it though.

Strange thing is that, after several days of being ok, I had an awful migraine type headache throughout last night. Not sure if it was brought on by alcohol, I had 1 beer and a glass of red wine. It seems I cannot tolerate any alcohol now without getting a migraine - anyone else had this? I used to be fine.
We all play down the symptoms, because we are scared of what we dont want to hear!
I cant tolerate wine, (used to be able to drink anything) it gives me a banging head, within about half an hour of drinking it, & thats only 2 glasses, & the next day. I dont bother with it at all these days. Although apparently it can depend what wine you drink, so someone at work was saying the other day anyway.
Glad you posted though, was wondering how you got on x

shaz01
12-11-09, 22:37
Hi Mark, glad it went okay, sorry to ask questions but as you know I have my appt in a few weeks...did he examine you or is it basically just asking you for your symptoms etc?? Oh my eye appt went okay, so Im feeling bit more positive tonight however the head is mega banging tonight but think thats cos I mega stressed myself out about the opticians lol although they actually come into my work so I had to put a brave face on aagghhh :-( as for your migraine, yep when I drink it can give me an awful migraine..think its the dehydration (not enough water when drinking booze).

Shaz x

mark1980
13-11-09, 22:24
Shaz i've just been reading your other post and I too have had some weird sensations in my legs recently, numbness and tingling (like pins and needles) - so your not alone there!

Ok, so the neurologist, he examined me as follows;
Examined the back of my eyes, like the optician
Did all my reflexes
I had to track movement with my eyes whilst he watched them
I had to do a couple of exercises that involved me touching my nose with my fingers
I had to stand, eyes closed, feet together, arms out in front, fingers apart - and balance (this is to determine whether the imbalance is central, as the nerves in your feet should communicate balance to your brain) - it went ok

All in all I found it reassuring, but like I said already I played things down a little and he put more down to anxiety than I would actually say is. I honestly think that (rationally) I have labyrinthitis that has caused the imbalance as I did have fluid behind my ear initially.

The headaches I am still not sure about, the good thing is that they are getting better and now seem to be inflicted by alcohol more than anything. Luckily I don't drink much at the minute, but when I do it seems to set off a migraine. I am finding this very odd as I have never, ever had them before, but maybe something just changes in our body and we become susceptible???

The bottom line is that I feel a bit better, but I am dreading the MRI and getting the results. Also consequently wondering what other health anxiety symptom will replace it, I've already started wondering about some other things but I'm determined to not dwell too much!!

SleeplessFog
14-11-09, 01:31
You don't have to be violently ill when you have labyrinthitis. I have had it since February and I only was nauseous for the first 2 weeks. I only threw up twice. I have not been ill since. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Also, my migraines are super worse when I am dizzy and off balance...I would say I get them more often no due to the labs.

Don't take no for an answer...if everything comes back clear from the MRI and the neuro tells you you're fine....but you are still dizzy....I would see a neuro-otologist. They help people with labs.

Ok...off my soapbox now. Just trying to help because my first 2 months with labs was terrible because I had no idea what it was or how to get help.

guitarpants
14-11-09, 01:40
Let us know how the MRI turns out. If it's anything like me, it'll be fine.

shaz01
14-11-09, 16:53
Thanks Mark for letting me know what happens at the neurologist......that has made me feel a bit easier about going........as for your migraines it will have just been something that has triggered them and its quite common for alcohol to kick them off due to dehydration!!!!.. I thought after being at the optician I would be calmer but Im worse now, Im sure I have asked you before but have you had like the tingly feeling in your head???? Last night I was in bed and it was annoying me so much, I feel sick today but Im sure its cause anxiety is defo now taken over whatever caused this head thing to start.....how long till your MRI?

Shaz x

mark1980
14-11-09, 20:29
Hi Shaz, you mean the tingly head thing that feels like something crawling through your hair? Yeah I had that, it's anxiety for sure.

Try not to worry too much, easier said than done but, put it into perspective best you can and remember that the eye examination would have likely shown up anything that was wrong too. Sorry if you already said but when is your appointment for the neuro?

My MRI is next week and I see the neuro again the week after, I have been lucky and it's all being done through the private health insurance I have with work - never used it before. I have to say that now, looking back, I can see my own doctor was really honest with me and I should not have panicked so much when he told me he believed it was nothing serious. Don't get me wrong I am still worried but less so now and I have been able to push away the obsessive thoughts more recently - that is the main thing.

It's so true that health anxiety is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in some form. When people can't understand me now, that is what I tell them and it's easier because everyone resonates better with OCD due to it getting more media attention. I really hope you feel better soon, feel free to ask anything else.

shaz01
14-11-09, 23:46
Hey, totally true what you say about it being a form of OCD......and some people just dont understand the whole HA thing.

Yes I mean the creepy crawling feeling, but lately I dont know if its what people call zaps, like fuzzyness or something in the top of my head, started causing me sleep problems, Im just not convinced its anxiety thats causing all this, mainly due to it starting during a coughing session when I had spasms in my head and went down my face, doc then thought it was muscular then next time I went said he didnt really know, then he referred me. This must be almost three months now with the same symptoms every day sometimes to a high degree other times to a lesser degree also ringing in my ears. My appointment is in three weeks time.

Its good having the work health insurance, at least your not having to wait to long........its also good your starting to feel better about it now, as you say stopping the obsesive thoughts is the way forward :-)

Well thanks again for your reply....

Shaz x

mark1980
17-11-09, 21:54
MRI tomorrow morning folks, had a better few days but wow, I am really dreading being in that tube tomorrow :ohmy:

So, does anyone have any advice? I will let you know how it goes.

Alisonj
17-11-09, 23:52
I myself have not had an MRI but my 3 yr old had an extensive one done without sedation. He was very upset for the first few minutes but after that he calmed right down and feel asleep!!!! They were shocked since they always have to sedate young children but the doctor forgot to include the order. He is very sensitive to noises and small spaces too. I think you will do fine, just close your eyes and think of anything else. The time does go surprisingly fast. Remember that you can talk to the people doing the test anytime if you feel uncomfortable. Good luck, you will do awesome

mark1980
18-11-09, 09:04
I panicked, there is no way I could have gone through with it. Feel ridiculous now.

Have to go see my GP, get something to calm me and then re-book. It never ends does it. I am so annoyed, upset and disappointed right now. It's like a never ending revolve of things, just when I was feeling better. I should have known this would happen but tried to be brave. There was no way of talking to them, just a button to press so they would stop and come check you was ok.

shaz01
18-11-09, 20:11
OMG Mark, I have been thinking about MRI and I will be exactly the same as you, I cant do enclosed spaces...is there nothing they can do without going into a tube??.......omg something else for us to worry about:-(