PDA

View Full Version : So, anyone here suffer weird symptoms and find out it's NOT caused by anxiety?

guitarpants
11-11-09, 02:49
It seems to me that most people who come here looking for answers or complaining of unusual physical symptoms find that it's only caused by anxiety or depression. Of course those symptoms are also the symptoms of everything and nothing at the same time (Stroke, MS, etc. etc.).

I'm curious, anyone here ever worry about their symptoms and then find it's not actually caused by anxiety, but a real (organic) medical condition?

LucyR
11-11-09, 03:19
Hi, No, ive not found out that mine are caused by anything else, but who knows, perhaps a lot of people are misdiagnosed, its worrying.

Alisonj
11-11-09, 06:41
only once. I was extra anxious and felt like I was going to jump out of my skin, my heart rate was up and BP was up alittle and it turned out I had thyroiditis.

itoldyouiwasill
11-11-09, 09:33
will.not.end.well!:lac:

sarah jayne
11-11-09, 09:34
Yes, i suffered with pains in my chest for over 2 years and my doctor fobbed me off saying it was anxiety. I asked to be reffered to someone else and they diagnosed me as heving costachondritis which at times can mimic the symptoms of a heart attack. i dont have any trust in my doctor now so that is why from today i have got a new one.
Sarah x

lamentinglaura
11-11-09, 13:38
This happened twice to me. First time I was told a chronic pain in the lower left side was anxiety based. It wasn't until my gyno asked me if I wanted him to go in and have a look that I was told the real cause. When I woke up from day surgery he told me my pain was coming from endometriosis. So much for anxiety.

I suffered severe back pain for 6 years and was always blown off, not given any tests. Even after I complained about bladder symptoms happening at the same time I was still blown off. To make a long story short I ended up in the emergency department and demanded to see a neurologist. Eventually an MRI was done and I was told I had Cauda Equina Syndrome (one of my discs had totally prolapsed into my spinal canal and was crushing my Cauda Equina nerves that are at the end of your spinal chord). I had to have emergency surgery and it two years for me to get full use of my legs again. I still suffer from residual damage. All this would have been prevented if my family doctor had listened to me and done tests during those 6 years of suffering. I don't trust anything she says now.

Mind you, I have HA so I've also had countless episodes where nothing was wrong but I fully believe in getting something thoroughly checked out before boiling it down to anxiety.

Alisonj
11-11-09, 13:44
I also spent the night overnight in the ER with chest type pains. They did a full cardiac work up and said I was fine, but my pulse was really high and I had real pain. I told them something just was not right and are they sure they ruled out everything. So they did one last batch of blood work and surprise surprise I had pancreatitis. They never did figure out how I got it but I was put on strict liquids for over a week until my amalayse number came down and the pain got better.

Alisonj
11-11-09, 13:47
what wont end well itoldyouiwasill??? I think that sometimes these threads are good because there are times when we need to really decide and use our intuition on whether what we are feeling is different than what we normally feel. Our doctors will always blame the anxiety, there are times its not and we need to be our own advocate in those times and make sure they are listening to us. I have about three other incidents when it was not my anxiety but appendicitis, and a pregnancy. Both of those times I was told I was fine, just anxious and to go home and take a pill basically.

gypsywomen
11-11-09, 14:25
i was a nurse so i agree not all symptoms are anxiety ,,so we all need to be aware of our bodies ,,docters once we have been diagnosed with anxiety put everything down to it ,,so we have to make sure by getting 2nd opinion

hunny
11-11-09, 15:12
I get very nervous about these threads..
I agree if you are not happy then get a 2nd opinion but often reading these posts can lead to more anxiety...and it's nigh on impossible just to ignore them...just in case....
It's very hard for an anxious person to decipher whats a physical problem and what are symptoms are mainly caused by exhaustion/anxiety given that symptoms can change all the time too

Definitely get a Dr's opinion about your symptoms initially though , I think everyone would agree with that

H x

gypsywomen
11-11-09, 15:21
I agree if you are not happy then get a 2nd opinion but often reading these posts can lead to more anxiety...and it's nigh on impossible just to ignore them...just in case....
It's very hard for an anxious person to decipher whats a physical problem and what are symptoms are mainly caused by exhaustion/anxiety given that symptoms can change all the time too

Definitely get a Dr's opinion about your symptoms initially though , I think everyone would agree with that

H xhunny you mus not worry about this thred most of our symtoms Are no doubt anxiety but we must always double check ,,for our own piece o mind thats all love

PoppyC
11-11-09, 15:43
Hi
During suffering really badly with anxiety, I had tests which showed that I have a kidney disorder which was probably caused by me being so stressed out constantly, I have been told. I really wanted that to be the reason why I was going through such an horrific time, because I would not accept how I felt was all due to anxiety - which it was , because all the symptoms I was attributing to my kidney problems were nothing to do with that and was down to pure anxiety. I just would not admit that I had anxiety or had a breakdown and would try and blame it on everything else, but eventually I accepted it and can't see why I was in denial for so long, however at least through having tests I found out I had the kidney problem!

nervousnikki
11-11-09, 17:44

H x

Hunny

I agree with u. If a thread looks like it might lead to me having doubts i try not to read them. But i just had to know on this one. Wish i didn't now.

Nikki