PDA

View Full Version : CBT - How long does it take

Masa
11-11-09, 06:35
My GP has recommended me for CBT. This was 2 months ago, does anyone know how long does it take for the appointment to come through?

onceagain
11-11-09, 06:44
Hiya

I am currently having counselling through primary care incorporating CBT and then will go through intensive CBT which I'm on the waiting list for.

To be honest with you I would say to chase and chase and chase especially if your problem worsens as you can end up waiting I waited 7 months to get to the point I'm at now and that was down to not having a supportive doctor.

Best of luck to you :hugs:

nomorepanic
11-11-09, 16:08
Anywhere from 6 months to 18 months I have read on here.

faith
11-11-09, 16:23
Why don't you pay privately for a counsellor as most therapies are non-existent on the NHS

Masa
11-11-09, 18:37
I never even thought of going private, as my GP has put me on the waiting list and I didn't think it takes that long for the appointment to come through. Maybe something I will look at.

PanicOver!!
11-11-09, 18:39
Hi

I went through my local branch of MIND
my councillor was great it was totally FREE and i waited about 6 weeks
and it has helped me recover

Best of luck

Masa
11-11-09, 19:09
Thanks PanicOver!! How do I go bout contacting MIND?

onceagain
11-11-09, 20:10
Was that CBT Marc? that you received from MIND? that is great six weeks, how many of us on the forum, boy they are gonna be busy now lol x

cascade70
04-12-09, 11:33
For people staying in the UK this seems that the post code lottery is in affect here. When I went to my GP i was recommended CBT and was seen two weeks later. Have so far had three sessions and the plus for me was that i had a bad day last wednesday but rather than thinking that i was about to die, i accepted that this was anxiety so it is working. In fact looking forward to my next session