PDA

View Full Version : Another numbness post

Jaymondo
11-11-09, 12:03
Hi All,

Have read a few posts regarding numbness, and most seem to be result of side-effect of medication. I've also read the Symptoms section for numbness,and hyperventilation seems to be a main cause too.

However, I've not (as far as I'm aware) hyperventilated and I'm not on medication and yet I get this strange numbness sensation on right side of my face mostly feel it around nose area but sometimes up to top of scalp too. I also get it in right hand and sometimes right leg but only thigh area.

I've had it now for 2 days or so, I have felt a little more anxious latley, and sleep has been very rare past 2 days. Anyone else get these symptoms when not on medication?

I've booked to see a Dr tomorrow morning, which is now freaking me out even more about what it could be.

Thanks folks,
Jason

Gazman
11-11-09, 12:43
I've had it in nearly all places you describe and i'm not on meds either, is it numb to touch, like you can't feel your finger touching your face or is it a numby feeling that can only be at best, described as numb?

It's very likely to be anxiety, what else could it be??

Doctor told me last week that he sometimes gets a weird numb patch on his face and these things are normal and lots of people can get them but tend not to worry about it like we do. :doh:

nineteen
11-11-09, 13:20
i have had this for a few days, and was completley freaking out. then i found this:

Numbness Tingling (Sensory loss; Paresthesias; Numbness and Tingling; Loss of sensation):
You feel as though a part of your skin or body feels numb to the touch or tingles. It may also feel like it has been frozen with anesthesia. This numb patch may be small or encompass many parts of the body such as an arm, hand, finger, face, mouth, lips, tongue, leg, foot, or toe, or all of them.
While numbness and tingling can occur anywhere on the body, it’s most common on the hands, feet, arms, and legs.
Numbness and tingling can also be accompanied by pins and needles and burning skin sensations.
The affected area(s) may remain constant, or they may change and randomly appear anywhere and anytime. Repeated visual inspections show no skin abnormalities.
Numbness and tingling can be caused by a number of factors including:

Remaining in the same position (seated or standing) for a long time
Injury or pressure on a nerve (for example, a back injury can cause numbness in the legs or feet, and a neck injury can cause numbness in the arms and hands).
Pressure on the spinal nerves (for example, due to a herniated disk)
Lack of blood supply to an area (for example, restricted blood flow–we often refer to it as “falling asleep,” or for medical reason such as, plaque buildup from atherosclerosis–this can cause pain, numbness, and tingling)
Side effects from certain medications
A lack of vitamin B12 or other vitamins
From radiation therapy
Toxic action on the nerves, such as from alcohol, tobacco, or lead
Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in the body
hope it helps

den68
11-11-09, 14:10
i had it in my head and down my left arm. Had loads of tests mri, egc, bloods all clear it was my anxiety. I dont get it often now and when i do i ignore it as i know what it is, but i would go see your gp as any new symptom should be checked out as a precaution

Jaymondo
11-11-09, 17:44
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, this has been unsettling meall day, trying to work and then mind drifts off thinking "what could it be?" oh for a day without worry :winks:

Gaz - I can feel affected areas when touched as you say it's a "numby feeling" kind of a strange one to describe, but fingers crossed Doc will put it down to anxiety.

Nineteen - Wow, never thought so many things could contribute to numbness, even just reading that eases my worry. The first one on the list kind of jumps out at me "spending along time in one position", as I work with computers I'm constantly in one position, strange thing is just noticed even in the car I'm in same position, my life seems to be spent in one position lol - right I need to get on Mountain Bike a bit more! :D

Den - Kind of reassuring to read that others can cope with the sensations we all get. I think you're so right, once knowing what a symptom is, it is so easy to just get on with life and not let it rule us. Hope my Dr says all is A-OK tomorrow.

Thanks again folks, really does help reading other peoples input.

Take it easy,
Jay

Jaymondo
12-11-09, 12:50
Hey all,

Just back from the Doc's was in there for 15/20mins which was great to be seen for such a time.

I am now on Naprosyn/Naproxen 500mg 1 tab twice daily. He reckons the numbness is muscular/nerve related maybe a trapped nerve caused by bad posture/sitting etc.

He done some thorough checks and asked what I do for living. When I replied web design he smiled and said "so lot of time on computer then" which made me grin. He has booked me in again next Tuesday to see if numbness feeling has subsided, fingers crossed.

Has anyone else been on Naprosyn/Naproxen, any side effects or did it all go smoothly?

Take it easy folks
Jay

Chevy38
18-09-17, 01:19
Well, my numbness came from the anastheia that the dentist gave me when I had my wisdom tooth cut out. I think he hit a nerve, because I still have tingling in the lower left side of my lip that goes down to my chin. They told me that my feeling will return maybe after a year or so. I have an anxiety that and go into panic mode when I think of never having the right feeling again. Then I begin to angry, depressed, and cry. Is this normal?