PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Phil71
10-11-05, 14:21
All,

Thought I would finally raise my head above the e-parapet having been a lurker here for a few months now. I am kind of uncomfortable with talking to 'strangers' in this very weird medium so I'll keep this short!

I'm a 34yo bloke and have been suffering from anxiety for the last few years. Strangely (or so I thought before I learnt more) I am not the kind of person that worries, I just get the physical symptoms of anxiety.

I've been tested for lots of organic reasons for this (thyroid etc) but I just seem to be built this way or am in denial to the CBT counsellor about my anxious thoughts :)

Phil.

seh1980
10-11-05, 14:37
Thanks for the intro - great to 'meet' you.

Hope we can offer you some good support :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

jill
10-11-05, 15:29
Hi Phil,

Very nice to meet you :D

There are lots of nice people here who will help
and support you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Barb
10-11-05, 16:15
Hi Phil

A big warm welcome to NMP you will get lots of help and support here everyone is so nice and friendly

Barb xxxx

Meg
10-11-05, 16:19
Hello Phil ,

*am in denial to the CBT counsellor about my anxious thoughts *

Any example you can share ?

Which are your main physical symptoms and how do they present and make you anxious ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
10-11-05, 16:28
Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

pinkscrumpy
10-11-05, 16:31
A big warm welcome to the site Phil

love

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

trac67
10-11-05, 17:46
Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of great advice here and make some good friends.

Don't feel nervous about posting here, you will soon come to learn that no one judges any one here, everyone is great, and will help in any way that they can.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Piglet
10-11-05, 18:29
Welcome Phil.

Love Piglet:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

RedMozzy
10-11-05, 18:31
Welcome to the site Phil!

Take care,

Alan

"Life's a roller-coaster and I am not strapped in"

kazo
11-11-05, 09:44
hi phil

welcome to the site

Kazo xxx

Gail32
11-11-05, 09:49
Hi Phil

I am new too and so many people have given me such good advice, its fab, just talking about how you feel and someone will always know exactly how you are feeling on here!

Gail x

cam
11-11-05, 10:12
hey phil welcome to this site...lots of good people and good advice..

fae cam
[^]

chucklehound
11-11-05, 10:16
Hi Phil and welcome to NMP where you will get lots of support and make

some great friends too!:D

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

3faces
11-11-05, 11:53
Hi Phil and welcome:D

I too felt strange when I first started coming onto this forum but its amazing how quickly you settle in and feel comfortable talking about things.

I may be wrong here but I do think guys have a harder time generally accepting that they suffer with anxiety. Men are told they have to be strong and being a worrier/anxious person can sometimes be perceived as a weakness when in fact it is just part of being a human being. It's how you deal with it that matters and the fact you are facing your worries is a big step.

Take care and PM me anytime for a chat:)

Jem xxx

sueiamnew
11-11-05, 18:22
Welcome to the site Phil!

Sue K with 5
12-11-05, 19:30
Welcome to NMP !

Glad to see you have joined in and I hope you will benefit from reading the posts and understanding your anxiety better

scknight

Phil71
15-11-05, 16:56
Thanks to all for the warm welcome both here and as PMs.

To respond specifically to Meg's point (and to explain myself more clearly!), I have found CBT to be of no help to me as I don't seem to have anxious thoughts and would not even describe myself as a 'worrier'.

I can see that if I thought 'if I catch the train then it might crash and kill me' then this type of thought-pattern could be modified and become more positive/realistic.

This leads me to the conclusions that the anxiety either has an organic cause (investigations ongoing) or that it is some sub-conscious effect which I am unable to catch sight of (this would also require me to suspend my usual 'psychob****cks' response;)).

Symptoms wise it is pretty standard stuff but I feel much worse in the morning (can't climb out of bed as it is just too terrifying) compared to the evening (would happily climb Everest with only a worn rope and a Pot Noodle).

Phil.

Meg
15-11-05, 17:03
Ok Phil

Have you looked into your sugar balances? it can sometimes be the only issue.

Try a GI diet for 3 weeks and see if that helps

Hypoglycemia (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189)
Gi Diet (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3179)

Topped up on Vit B for a trial month .

Increase your exercise.

I see you have already had a thyroid screen.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?