PDA

View Full Version : Swallowing problems freaking me out

mumsie
12-11-09, 07:05
I had a really scary experience last night. I was happily eating some toast when suddenly my throat sort of seized up for a second and I just couldn't swallow anything. It then cleared itself and I have been able to swallow since but not very easily. Has anyone else had this? It's really scaring me. Is it just anxiety? I thought I'd had almost every symptom going but this is a new one. My anxiety levelsare very high at the moment. Thanks everyone.:weep:

annethelma1942
12-11-09, 08:35
Hi Mumsie
I really sympathise with you. When I have high stress this is one of the things that I suffer from.It is a really scary sensation but one that passes. I think the difficulty you are feeling in swallowing is due to tension. When we are afraid neck and throat muscles can become very tight, have you noticed how our voices become squeaky when we are panicked or afraid?.
I had a spell like this in my teens and really convinced myself I had throat cancer and saw a consultant.
Just to reassure you I am now 67!
My health anxieties still rise to the surface from time to time in times of extreme stress.
Try to relax ,easier said than done, at meal times , and perhaps have some soothing music on in the background.
I hope you soon feel much better.
Anne

amandaj
12-11-09, 08:48
hi unfortunatly this is a common symptom of anxiety, i had it for a while then it dissapeared as quick as it came ,i couldnt eat for a few weeks but it does go away again try to stay calm i know its easier said than done

amandax

sb001f8994
12-11-09, 09:32
Hi Mumsie,
I get this alot when Im stressed. Mine isnt while Im eating but I feel like I have no spit to swallow, its happened a million times and Im still here to tell the tale. My mouth dries up and my throat closes, I now carry my little bottle of water just in case!
This is stress and I know its easy for me to say but try not to worry too much, its a very common symptom.
Take care,
Carol x

mumsie
14-11-09, 11:23
Thank you everyone for your replies. I think that you are all right and it is caused by anxiety. I will try not to focus on it. I have had so many symptoms at various times that I suppose I thought I had had all there was to have. Obviously not! When a new symptom happens it is scary until you get used to it, and this particular one doesn't happen all the time. Unfortunately it has made me scared to eat now, although I am still eating as normal, just with fear attached.

Cell block H fan
14-11-09, 12:19
Ive had this! Well, similar. Mine wasn't when I was eating, just normal swallowing. But its was almost like I had forgotten how to swallow! If that makes sense. I would then have to gulp, & it was ok again. Its happened a couple of times. Not sure if mine is stress or just the messages from my brain going a bit wacky! x

Cat80
14-11-09, 13:55
I get this a lot. Also something weird has been happening with my neck. Something clicks out when I sing or shout lay with my neck in a weird position. It is incredibly painful to swallow and only pops back in when I cough a lot. Been happening since I was 12 and has been getting worse and happening more over the last few months but haven't ever told my Dr about it.