PDA

View Full Version : How does the nervous system calm down how can we help it

janni
12-11-09, 20:53
i have been having severe bodily symptoms from pain to tingling for the last four to five months. i have a diagnosis of somatization disorder, i keep reading that when the nervous system calms down the symptoms will too. Has anyone reached this point and if they have can they give advice on self-help. I am so worried that this is a permanent state because I can feel the adrenaline most of the time in my body keeping me in constant hyper vigilance. Any advice would be appreciated thank guys. :bighug1:

springblossom
12-11-09, 21:09
Hi janni,

I have similar symptoms, no diagnosis.

Forgetfulness and distraction are the cures but they are so difficult to achieve.

I speak a number of different languages and sometimes listening to a foreign language makes my brain switch off the anxiety to follow the new words.

S

itoldyouiwasill
13-11-09, 00:44
As harsh as it sounds if you have had an official diagnosis of a somatisation disorder visitng anxiety/health anxiety forums in not beneficial to you. Somatisation thrives on the fact that we identify with our anxiety/physical symptoms and the identity that forums provide actually only serve to reinforce this.

agent orange
13-11-09, 17:00
hi janni, I too have been given a somatoform disorder diagnosis, albeit Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder. I suffer badly with chronic symptoms and have done for several years.I agree with I toldyouIwasill's point, we are not helping ourselves by coming onto this forum, because our Diagnosis thrives on picking up bits of information on here and the internet.

janni
13-11-09, 17:07
i cant help it sometimes, my face goes numb i have tingling in fingers and pins and needles in arms i have that diagnosis but i argue that there is something wrong:weep: although i can appreciate your viewpoints too thank you all xx

gypsywomen
13-11-09, 17:14
janni if it helps to talk about your health on here ,,and ask questions ,,you need answers like we all do its better than googling ,, that upsets everyone ,,cant you find a hobby to distract yourself ,,i took p watercolor art went back to collage so relaxing hope you feel better soon xx

itoldyouiwasill
13-11-09, 17:36
janni if it helps to talk about your health on here ,,and ask questions ,,you need answers like we all do its better than googling ,, that upsets everyone ,,cant you find a hobby to distract yourself ,,i took p watercolor art went back to collage so relaxing hope you feel better soon xx

Yep, one of the crucial things is to find something that actually re-engages you in life. Somatisation becomes insidous and chronic when you allow it to become THE defining element of your life. At the moment your symptoms and the hunt to explain what they are are located at the top of the pyramid and 'real' life is cascading down from there...once you start to re-engage with life and other activities which are totally unrelated to health, symptoms, anxiety, somatisation etc etc you will find that it all starts to get lost in the shuffle. I do not mean to say that a forum like this cannot be helpful but you need to understand that the very act of visiting here keeps it all at the top of the pyramid.

agent orange
13-11-09, 19:28
Yes I agree with the last post, but it is very difficult when you are going through the painful process of living with this stupid condition. I like Janni am looking for an illness and I think that it is making me ill looking for this possible illness, if this makes sense? How long Janni have you had this condition for? I do understand how you feel because I too have it. People are correct in saying that we must distract ourselves. I don't always feel anxious with it, but I do feel anxious when the symptoms are having a good go at me and I am having symptoms 24/7 it seems, and this can be the case according to the pyschiatrist.