PDA

View Full Version : puffy/swollen cheek

louise0501
13-11-09, 21:00
hey, i'm really worried about my mum coz she has flu but one of her cheeks is quite badly swollen. any ideas what it could be? could it be serious?
please reply
Love Louise

louise0501
14-11-09, 03:36
hey, i'm really freaking oout coz i just had a thought. it could be a stroke couldnt it?
please reply
love louise

Cell block H fan
14-11-09, 05:51
Viruses present themselves in all sorts of weird and bizarre ways Louise. I would put it down to the flu at the moment. If its still no better after 2 weeks, the doctor will check her out.
Poor mum. Hope she's on the mend soon x

louise0501
14-11-09, 14:47
yeah i thought it could just be down to the flu but i did some research and i couldn't find a swollen cheek in the symptoms of flu and i couldn't find much else it could be apart from a stroke, poisoning (which i doubt it is) or a sinus tumour. so i'm really worried about her.
please reply
love louise

nomorepanic
14-11-09, 16:09
I would have thought it could be related to her teeth - are they all ok?

Cell block H fan
14-11-09, 16:14
yeah i thought it could just be down to the flu but i did some research and i couldn't find a swollen cheek in the symptoms of flu and i couldn't find much else it could be apart from a stroke, poisoning (which i doubt it is) or a sinus tumour. so i'm really worried about her.
please reply
love louise

The thing is Louise, is swollen Lymph nodes aren't usually listed in flu symptoms, or acne symptoms come to that, yet people get them in those instances, my son has them due to acne. So there are lots of 'side affects' from illnesses etc, that wont be typically listed. And half the time we never actually find out what the cause of these annoying things are. They go away in time & we are none the wiser.
I used to have freaky symptoms that google told me were not related to I.B.S but pointed towards bowel cancer. That was 16 years ago, & I'm still here! So I dont trust google anymore, & never google any symptoms. If I was concerned about something, I would go to the doctor & trust the doc, not google.
Any symptom deserves a couple of weeks to right itself, unless you are really worried. Its after the 2 weeks you go to the doctor for advice if it is still there. Thats why packets like Nurofen tend to say "if symptoms dont improve after 2 weeks, consult your physician"
The reason I originally opened this thread is because I one day woke up with a swollen face on one side when I was about 20. Was a bit embarrassing going to work that day like it. Turned out it was a perfume I had used! Atleast I assume it was that. Was all I could think of at the time, & it went down after a few days. I wondered if your mum had used a perfume recently. But I guess if she isn't well, she probably hasn't. But the fact I had an allergy to a perfume I had sprayed on my neck, just goes to show how the flu could have a reaction on your mum too.
x

louise0501
14-11-09, 16:32
thanks for the support, i really appreciate it. it could just be the flu or maybe a reaction to something. i think shes gonna give it a few days and see how it is. she doesn't even seem that worried. i hate having HA!

Cell block H fan
14-11-09, 16:40
thanks for the support, i really appreciate it. it could just be the flu or maybe a reaction to something. i think shes gonna give it a few days and see how it is. she doesn't even seem that worried. i hate having HA!

My mum was horrendous for health anxiety when she was young, thats why I always wonder if its hereditary! She has Tinitus now, bunions on her feet & she is off to the hospital soon for those 2 things & also because she has a sore tongue that wont go away. I am worried about her. I dont let her know that though. But she's a non smoker & doesn't drink alcohol, so the tongue thing is probably something she's allergic to like her false teeth! But now she's older, she says she doesn't worry as much anymore. So I hope that means we outgrow health anxiety really!
x

kathee
14-11-09, 23:07
could it be inflamed nasal passages ? i always get all bunged up when i get a cold or flu and one or both of my cheeks sometimes swell, just under the eye, sometimes my eye on the affected side goes all puffy too ...

B-gal
14-11-09, 23:29
hi Louise,

Is your mum stressed at all? My boyfriends cheek once got realli swollen and he went to the dentist and there was absolutely nothing wrong. She said she sees students in all the time with the same complaint during exams because the stress their under has made their face swell up.

Hope your mum and you are feeling better :)
xx

louise0501
15-11-09, 00:24
hey, i really dont know whats caused it. she could be quite stressed out with just feeling ill. its swollen up pretty badly though and it looks so bad. its quite worrying. i'm so worried about her and i'm worried about myself coz i have this stupid bump in my mouth and i just feel like i've got so much going round my head.
love louise XXXXX

B-gal
15-11-09, 00:53
aww well I cant answer about your mums problem huni but Im sure u just feel a bump because your thinking of what could be wrong with ur mums mouth, and then focusing attention on yours. My mum had a blood clot months ago after an operation and for ages every little pain I felt I thought was me having a blood cloy. Im going through some health anxiety myself Ive been ill lately and Ive found it calms me down if I think of a past time when I was worried about my health, (and there have been many), and there turned out to be nothing wrong, and focusing on how happy and kinda silly I felt after I didnt drop down dead. Im not calling u silly at all though by the way, im calling me silly... But anyhoos this realli has helped me to stop worrying, I dunno if it makes sense but just thought Id pass it along :)

Much love
xxxxx

louise0501
15-11-09, 01:37
i've just noticed something else, she can't smile on one side that can't be good can it? or could that just be from the swelling?
please reply
love louise XX

B-gal
15-11-09, 01:57
Huni Im sure she's fine but I realli couldnt answer that for you. If your worried why dont you ring NHS 24 if your in scotland on 08454 24 24 24 or nhs direct on 0845 4647. Your obviously worried and I dont think anyone on here will make you feel at ease, I'm sure its nothing, but you could always call them to put ur mind at ease and get a good nights sleep. I used to work for them (not as a nurse) and believe me they get people calling up with lots of different stuff all the time so they wont mind your call.

xxx

SmartyPants
15-11-09, 02:09
Sounds like a gum/tooth abscess, which can quite frequently be brought on with colds/flu if there are underlying tooth/gum issues. Sometimes once the infection has puffed up the cheek (come out from within the gumline), the pain eases.

lynn1960
15-11-09, 03:27
i was going to suggest your mum try the dentist there may be [roblem with her teeth[

i#