PDA

View Full Version : Ectopics in bunches

peter34uk
14-11-09, 09:23
Hi ive been suffering with bunches of ectopic beats since 8ish last night. Sometimes 3-5 a minute, every minute.

Has anyone else had this & is it something to seriously worry about??

I dont drink, or take drugs or smoke or anything like that. Just anxiety about my heart.

ECG a few weeks ago was clear although it should right bundly branch block.

Has anyoneelse suffered this...im seriously freaking out here!

Chrismascray
14-11-09, 11:48
The simple answer my frined is YES YES YES I have had them on and off for over 20 years, saw a Doc AGAIN yesterday, I cannot count how many times I have seen a Doctor about these, on Thursday I didnt get missed ones I basically had NO rythm at all, my heart was all over the place, just as I remember over 11 tears ago when my daughter was born and I was outside the maternity hospital convinced it was one in, one out, it doesnt help much but just to let you know I am still here, still get them, still get freaked BUT I am still here.

countrygirl
14-11-09, 12:19
Same here - I have had ectopic beats every day for past 28 yrs- I have had really bad times over these 28 yrs where I have a missed beat every 3rd beat for weeks on end and its horrible- I also feel a bit lightheaded when you get that evil kick in the chest as well. I have had about 7 24hr ecgs over the years plus echo of heart and even 4 days in hospital monitering them and told they were completely harmless but very unpleasant and consultant told me that some people have a very sensitive vagus nerve anything from caffeine, alcohol, eating to much too quickly. ANXIETY! and low potassium levels can cause them. I now eat at least one banana a day after it was found my pot levles were at very bottom of normal and I read that a reading of 4 or below can trigger ectopics so eat your bananas:D
One thing I do find which just goes to show how much your mind affects your body is that if I have a good week where I am only noticing odd one or two a day ectopics and I think "oh good not had terrible missed beats" then its a certainty that next day they are back with a vengeance:shrug:

valleybear
14-11-09, 15:04
Me too folks! Just a work of reassurance...I went in to have a hysterectomy and the ectopics were almost continuous, even after my pre-med. I remember waiting on the trolley outside the op room with the medical staff and I remember saying " My heart is doing this and if I die on the table, I want witnesses to the fact that I have told you all!!" They just laughed at me and said "You'll be fine"....and of course I was, even after a big operation.. I still get them but not quite so badly all the time.

peter34uk
14-11-09, 16:33
They calmed down but are now back again. Think im gonna get off to the hospital. Im so anxious about it.

peter34uk
14-11-09, 19:07
okay, after an argument with my wife about my anxiety, i did indeed go to A&E. Had an ECG, although it didnt catch the BIG ectopic beats they still saw small ones that i couldnt feel.

But basically the doc said that when having ectopics, unless you actually feel unwell then there is nothing to worry about and they are benign.

SO I argued with my wife for nothing. I feel like crap and Im wondering if this will get better. I hope it does.

Maj
14-11-09, 19:53
Hi,

Now that you've been reassured then you can stop worrying so much about them so that they no longer matter. It's the "not mattering" that actually helps you to feel better. They will calm down again if you try to carry on with what you are doing so that they fade into the background. I've had them on and off for months and they are a blinking nuisance but I'm no longer afraid!!
Myra:)

peter34uk
14-11-09, 21:27
Hi,

Now that you've been reassured then you can stop worrying so much about them so that they no longer matter. It's the "not mattering" that actually helps you to feel better. They will calm down again if you try to carry on with what you are doing so that they fade into the background. I've had them on and off for months and they are a blinking nuisance but I'm no longer afraid!!
Myra:)

How many do you get a night then. Ive ad tons since last night. Sometimes several in a minute!

Just so disturbing. Im gonna try though. What else can i do!

Maj
14-11-09, 21:33
I've also had them numerous times a minute, for lengthy periods, during the night, whilst walking - there's no rhyme nor reason to them:shrug: They can stop for weeks, then come back for no apparent reason. I had them for an hour or two today. Don't have them at the minute. Honestly, they are no more than a nuisance. I do find that I have them more if I am over-tired. Please don't try to worry about them too much:yesyes:
Myra

peter34uk
14-11-09, 22:11
Cheers mate. That really helps. Feel as though im on a downward spiral at the mo. Just hope I can sleep tonight after basically not sleeping last night.

chellebelle
17-11-09, 02:14
Hey Peter,
I have had ectopics on and off for about 8 months now. They've been checked by a cardiologist who said that almost half of the population have them, they just don't notice them or worry about them. I figure they can't have ectopics as severe as mine then, cos they'd surely worry, but after numerous tests I'm trying to believe they are not dangerous. My cardiologist put me on magnesuim to try and reduce the ectopics, he said if I use them for about 3 months that the ectopics might stop all together. I take 4 x 500 mg tablets a morning - I haven't taken them for two days and I've got really bad ectopics right now!

chellebelle
17-11-09, 02:15
Oh, and I also have right bundle branch block - so does my doctor and he said it's fine!

ISLASMUMMY
17-11-09, 08:35
Hi lovey,

I too have periods where my 'benign ectopic beats' rule my life!

I too have had ecg's, echos, & 24hr recordings done! All fine, even when my heart goes fluttering away, and banging on my chest wall - even chest pain tightenings!! All normal and cause by anxiety!!!!!

My main triggers are

1. Overbreathing / incorrect breathing - This is the main one for me, y'know when your really anxious and you have felt changes in the way you breathe to try and compensate!!

2. Lots of sugar - No choccy benders for me, or full fat coke.

3. Alcohol / Cigarettes - I dont regularly smoke but I used to have one if i was on a night out, but my palps were crazy the next day so I dont do either anymore. Id sooner be a recluse!!

4. Taking notice of them!!!

HTH

Lisa :bighug1:

peter34uk
17-11-09, 17:31
aaaaah thanks guys.

Ive always had ectopic, but only the odd 1 at a time, never in bunches. And never ectopics that were like 3 or 4 in a minute every minute and lasted for 2 days :ohmy:

Thats 3 episodes like that in 8 weeks now!

Im feeling better at the moment. Someone mentioned eating bananas would help! Anything else ya reckon? Ill ask about the magnesium tabs.

I dont drink, smoke and now even drink decaf tea! So apart from my anxiety, there really is no other stimulus for it!

Does overbreathing really cause it?

mandyclare
17-11-09, 17:46
Avoid artificial sweeters as well : )