PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Tazers

guitarpants
14-11-09, 20:02
I've decided to post this after reading the "why don't people understand?" thread. Anxiety and panic actually can not be understood by doctors and psychiatrists fully unless they have experienced it themselves. They can only go by the descriptions in the DSM-IV and from their studies, and make a diagnosis or treatment plan based on that.

I find it's like describing the color yellow to someone who was born blind.

I live in the United States, and I'm not sure if this applies overseas, but police officers who carry tazers, actually have to be tazed themselves so they understand what it feels like, so they don't abuse the use of them. I kind of draw comparisons between this and psychiatrists. It's a shame they can't be made subject to these feelings for a period of them. They might be more effective doctors if they did.

This is a lot of the reason why some of us feel lonely and without help from the medical community. There really is a detachment and I don't think it's an issue that's solvable. There are however plenty of good doctors out there.

My awful experience recently with anxiety, panic, and depression has caused me to consider going back to school for psychology, and go to med school. I feel there should be more help for a lot of people, a lot of people suffer needlessly and for too long while trying to seek help or treatment. No one chooses to feel this way and a lot of times we start to feel no longer in control of it. That's really the nature of it, isn't it? If any of us could switch it off, I can't think of anyone who would choose to live with it.

I guess in short, just believe in yourselves, if any of you aren't finding the help you want/need, go to a different doctor or therapist. There are plenty of bad ones, but there are also many good ones. Trust your own judgment.

BexieB
14-11-09, 21:19
Hi Ninja

I understand your frustration about the lack of understanding. I often wish i could make some people (the 'pull yourself together' lot) feel like this, if only for a few seconds, that's all it would take to make them understand. But then i'm filled with remorse, because i truly would never want anyone to feel this way, not even for a moment.

Bexie