PDA

View Full Version : Was this a panic attack?

suzi787
15-11-09, 14:05
Hi guys,

I had a very scary experience two days ago and I was just wondering whether it was a panic attack.

I was on an accountancy course, I was just sat there taking notes, listening to the tutor, etc and I didn't think that I was panicking about anything but suddenly I started feeling really really dizzy, my head was spinning, I couldn't write anymore, I was really trying but I couldn't tell where the paper was and I couldn't coordinate my pen to write, all the lights looked really bright in the classroom, I felt really hot, I suddenly got a really bad headache in my head and across my eyes and down my nose, I couldn't hear what he was saying anymore, the noise was muted and blurred, I started fidgeting, then I started panicking and had to leave the classroom, I thought that I was going to pass out, etc. I don't think that I have ever been so scared in my life. I haven't felt the same since.

I've had what I thought were panic attacks years ago but nothing ever as bad as this. How do I know whether it was a panic attack?

Thanks in advance.

Suzi xxXxx

BigDaz
15-11-09, 14:25
Hi. It does sound like one, what happened after you left the classroom?

suzi787
15-11-09, 14:50
Well, what happened was the tutor came round to look at the answers that we were meant to be writing, I hadn't written anything so said "sorry I'm having a dizzy spell", he was really nice and asked if I'd like to go and get some fresh air, I said yes. I went outside, felt slightly better, then it was a break so I went back inside. Somebody passed me their notes to copy that I had missed, I tried to copy them but couldn't because I couldn't concentrate and still couldn't focus to write. Everybody was chatting and it seems SO LOUD, there were only about twelve people in the class. Then I went out of the class again and the tutor came out to see if I was okay. I nearly started crying when he was speaking to me because I could hardly hear what he was saying. He asked if I'd like to go home and I said "yes, please", I hadn't wanted to leave because it was a very important revision course that my work had paid a lot of money for me to go on. I then went back in, got my stuff and left, I walked through the street and into Boots to get some headache tablets because my headache was really really bad by then. I still felt dizzy but it started to subside. I then managed to drive home (not very far) and as soon as I got in I went to bed because I was very very very tired. I haven't felt right since XxX

PanicOver!!
15-11-09, 15:13
Hi

Sounds like a panic attack to me... very like mine actually

they do pass xx

suzi787
15-11-09, 15:51
Ahh thanks for the reassurance PanicOver.

Do you have any tips for combatting them?

I was thinking of taking some Rescue Remedy.

Do you find it difficult to think straight when you are having one? Like the world is spinning at a zillion miles an hour? X x x

jojo81182
15-11-09, 16:10
HI Suzi... I have been experiencing panic attacks since June and felt that they have got worse each time and each time have a different side to them which makes me worry that it is not a panic attack but they are! I think it depends on what you are worrying about but the first time that it was really bad I went to A&E as I thought I was having a heart attack... my pulse and BP were fine, they did an ECG and that was normal so I wasnt having a heart attack - I had a few after that and it helped knowing that I had previously been checked out and that i wasnt having a heart attack! The next time I had a bad one it felt like it had never felt before, I had swallowed a tablet which felt as though it had got stuck in my throat and all of a sudden my throat, neck and face were tingling - i KNOW that this is because my thought process was 'oh my god, im going to choke on this tablet' and that is what made it so bad and made me have feelings in the places that I had never them before. Basically, what I am trying to say to you is that I have found that once I have dealt with a certain sensation and ride it out the next time it happens it doesnt scare me as i know that if i just see it out it will pass they way that it has done before.

I hope you can relate to this & gives you a little comfort xx

suzi787
15-11-09, 16:22
Ah thanks jojo, I think that I know what you mean.

It's just so hard to comprehend that panic can lead to such severe physical symptoms but I know that it can, it's crazy.

Thanks so much for your kind words x x x

jojo81182
15-11-09, 16:34
no worries Suzi, this site is amazing at putting your mind at ease - i am pretty new to all this anxiety stuff and have been pretty lucky in quickly identifying what the problem is as my aunt suffers too... but when you know nothing about it it is even more scary. You're right, it is totally crazy what the mind can make happen and so easy to think that you are going off your rocker!! lots of love xx

suzi787
15-11-09, 19:08
Thanks jojo :) x x x