PDA

View Full Version : panic led to nervous breakdown

rooby
15-11-09, 16:26
hi to all, I have recently suffered a nervous breakdown prior to which I had the most awful panic attacks and anxiety. looking back now I can see these were warning signs but at the time I just tried to carry on. Eventually my nerves gave up and I suffered the breakdown. 2 weeks later I am able to function around the house just about but still suffering from panic. Is there anybody else out there with a similar experience? I would love to have a bit of understanding. thankyou :unsure:

diane07
15-11-09, 16:27
Hi rooby

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

rooby
15-11-09, 16:30
thanks for the support. I appreciate any help at this stage. I've been in a real scary place.

Franz
15-11-09, 16:50
Yeah, I've been through something similar. Two years ago I had a series of panic attacks: they lasted a few hours each and only resulted in me having to take a few afternoons off work.

Then a big attack came and I had a nervous breakdown. This time, the panic didn't lift and I had to take 2 weeks off work and go and stay with my parents.

It was pretty hellish to be honest. On the train up to their house I had this horrible sense of doom - a feeling that I was travelling up there to die. However, I made it. But I got into a physiological pattern of churning stomach, muscle cramps, shivering, and always with this background feeling of despair and dread.

I slowly got better, but it took a long time. It didn't help that I suffer from social phobia, and so the thing that might have pulled me out of myself - seeing people - just made me more anxious.

Since I suffer from social phobia, I don't think my situation is entirely typical. Things did improve slowly, but the social phobia always made things difficult; and I had many relapses.

I lost my job in March this year and have been more relaxed since then, though of course unemployment brings its own worries.

Things that helped me, at different times, were medication (particularly clomipramine), counselling, and meditation. Regarding the latter, I am still learning, but I do think in some weird way it can give you access to a higher state of consciousness. Or something.

I hope you feel better soon. You can get through a nervous breakdown, so hold on in there.

rooby
15-11-09, 17:12
yes that sounds just like it! I have started lexapro and doc gave me some valium to help with sleep and I am seeing a counsellor so I do have some hope and your message is positive thankyou. My problem is I have an 18 yr old son with ADHD Asperger's and maybe bipolar. and we have had some EXTREME behaviour and stress as a result. I think I was just numbing myself to it all externally but internally it was eating me up. This led to migraines which led to a migraine phobia which was not helped by the panic attacks as they start the same as the migraine aura, so I got into a viscious circle. Eventually my adrenal glands must have given up! Unfortunately I cannot change my son's condition but have 2 other well-balanced children who need a capable mum. So while I want to be positive about getting back to normal I am scared that the same thing will happen just because the external stress cannot be changed. does that make sense?

nutteetart
15-11-09, 18:12
Hi Roobs
not surprised you fell hun. I look at friends taking on more and more stress and i think 'be careful it could be you next' but we all think we are invincible.
Get any help books by Claire Weekes and she will put your symptoms into context. You as well as the rest of us are on a journey through hell but you can get there.
Take care of yourself first for a change. You are no good to anyone else unless you get you well first.
Good luck hun, we all know where you are at and its awful. We can hold your cyber hand. XXXXXXXXX

Franz
15-11-09, 18:18
Hi Rooby.

Actually I forgot about valium/diazepam. That was actually what got me through the short term, but of course you have to go easy because it's addictive.

I'm sorry to hear about your stressful family situation. I don't know what to say really but I think you need some help of some sort. If you can't cope with the external stresses, you won't be any use to anyone anyway, so you owe it to yourself to try to find a way of easing the pressure. Of course I realise that is easy for me to say :|

eternally optimistic
15-11-09, 18:32
Hi,

I can relate to what your initial post states, I had a break down several years ago, all leading up to a holiday, if you can believe that.

I had been nervously exhausted for years, I only know that now aftermath!

My anxiety got so bad that I was scared to go outside the house, almost overnight. I took 5 weeks off work, which was the best thing I could do.

Like you, I had battled on but not really realising that what my body and inner self felt like this, wasnt at all right. I just put it down to working, running a home and all the other stuff!!!!

It sounds like you have alot on your plate and I truly hope that you get all the support you need to get you back to where you want to me.

I think the main thing with all of these symptoms, is to take every day as it comes and not to set yourself unrealistic targets and not to beat yourself up, if you feel down.

Take lots and lots of care and all the best for the future.

Keep smiling.

Southern_Belle
15-11-09, 23:37
Hi Rooby,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you feel and will give their support. I have a son with ADD and I know the extra support he needs so I can't imagine all that you are going through. You are one tough lady so hang in there and I'm glad you found us.

Take care,

Laura

boobs1967
16-11-09, 09:48
Hi Rooby

I am in the same boat as you 8 weeks ago suffered miscarriage and from there health illnesses hit me all in one go and my panics were awful one every day for 10 days i went to my GP he said i had a breakdown and was depressed. It is scary but i joined this site and they have been a big help my panics have become less frequent and i try to take each day slowly keep myself occupied but i do still get my moments. I came off caffeiene and i am trying some seven seas hormonal balance vitamins and deep breathing relaxing techniqeus there is great info on this site and people are friendly and understanding. xxx

rooby
16-11-09, 09:50
Thankyou to all of you, such kind understanding thoughts. I can see this is the place for support!

I can see it is just gonna take time, it's hard to be looked after though when you are normally the one everyone else depends on.

Thankyou to you all, loved the cyber hug!

rooby
16-11-09, 09:55
hi boobs

you so have my sympathy, and I am so sorry for your sad experience. It is comforting to know that others are and have been through the same thing, while at the same time I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

I came off caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, anything like that just made the panic worse. Appreciate the advice about the supplements. I was hoping there would be something natural.

Thankyou

PoppyC
16-11-09, 09:58
Hi Rooby
I had a breakdown that lasted for several months in 2008. It was the most hellish experience ever, however I am now on medication and at last feeling much better. It does take time and you won't recover overnight however.
I have a really good booklet by MIND about life after breakdown if you would like it? or you can download it for free of their website.
Feel free to pm me if you wish.
You will get better. I never ever thought I would but I am so much better, so have hope because it won't always be like this for you.
You will find a lot of support and good advice on this site.
:hugs: