PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia - Are you sensitive to smells. Also, what tests have you had?

nikkinik
15-11-09, 17:58
Hi,

Im just wondering if anyone else is suffering with being sensitive to smells?

I wasnt, but in the last month Ive noticed the smell of food cooking, my partners deoderant, allsorts makes me feel even sicker. Is it the same for you?

Im also wondering if youve had any tests to get to the bottom of why youre feeling so sick?

Ive tried several, from simple blood tests to swallowing a camera..

I started out holding out hope for answers, thinking the blood tests will provide an answer, when that was negative I thought maybe the x-ray will hold out an answer, when that was negative I thought the upper endoscopy would hold the answer..

I just dont know whether to stop trying to find the answer?

I feel like I could be putting myself through hell for nothing. But when I thinking I wont have the next test, theres still that niggle in the back of my mind 'maybe this time I'll have an answer'

Im just getting more and more worried as Ive been sick 3 times in 3 months, it seems too much. Once was a bug as I wasnt the only one, but the other 2 times I dont know...
Im just scared as I feel genuinely sick all day everyday, so I never know when I could actually be sick.
:weep:

Danath
16-11-09, 04:56
Hi nikkinik,

I'm emetophobic myself and I have noticed that I react more to certain scents that shouldnt bother me but they do, for example the smell of cooking cabbage when I go to the Mind drop in centre around lunch, normally it wouldnt bother me but recently I found it quite offensive, also odd as I quite like cabbage. also other smells that wouldnt usually cause me any untoward bother, such as cooking in shops downtown or the smell of the doughnut stand in the shopping centre there.

I really feel for you having been sick 3 times in as many months, as Ive been sick once this year and that was the first time in 10 years, and I think we can probably both say, that actually being exposed to our phobia hasnt actually made it any better. I have also felt sick quite often recently, apparently for no reason, I also had a helicobacter Pylori test to check for a stomach ulcer as it gets quite acidic in there it was negative. Perhaps it all really is anxiety, its hard to say, it sounds likely since youve had endoscopies and various other tests which have turned up nothing.

perhaps it might be worth seeing if the doctor will prescribe you something like Metoclopromide or Cyclizine for the nausea until youve worked through your anxiety, that way once you have beaten your anxiety, and you will, you can stop the anti-sickness tabs and see if the nausea has subside, if it has we'll know it was just anxiety.

hope this helps,

Dan

nikkinik
16-11-09, 12:05
Dan Ive also had that H Pylori test, I believe I had it twice as they wanted to double check!

Im the same with smalls as you know.. I recently bought 2 glade candles and they smelt lovely to start with, then one day I decided it smelt awul, it almost turned my stomach and it smelt soo artificial (which I know it is anyway..). Its horrible really. Im not sure if Im reinforcing that one in my mind too!?

The joys!

Danath
16-11-09, 20:45
its true that due to the anxiety we can misread pleasant smells as unpleasant ones i think.

Cat80
17-11-09, 15:34
I'm emetophobic and very sensitive to smells. I used to love the smell of coffee shops but when I go in now I just feel sick and anxious. Also some cooking even perfumes that I love make my stomach churn.

The only tests I've had are full blood works and a chest x-ray which were all normal. Would love a H Pylori test as I suffer from acid reflux and have wondered for a while if I have it but I don't like to go into the Dr's asking for a test incase she thinks I am being a hypochrondriac lol