PDA

View Full Version : Hi all - should I be here?

bullethead
16-11-09, 09:56
Hi, hope you all don't mind me posting here because to be honest after reading some of the stories from others, it makes me think that all the worrying I have been doing recently has been a gross over-reaction.
I'm a 40yr old man and feel a little silly getting all worked up like I have been and feel I should be able to just 'snap out of it' so coming on here is a big step for me.
In a nutshell, the muscles in my arms have been aching for over a month now (both arms, different muscles but primarily the forearms) and I find my hands shake when doing 'fiddly' things. Also getting a slight tingling, 'pins & needles' feeling in my left hand. Initially I put it down to muscle strain from some work I had been doing around the house but it just doesn't seem to be improving, Not long after it started I also did some 'googling' which scared the life out of me (MS?) but this did also lead me to consider anxiety as a possibility. A week or so before it started I had been told there was a 50/50 chance of losing my job, I didn't think I was that concerned but maybe I was? Thing is, I now know that my job is safe but still the symptoms haven't improved, the job worry has gone but the health worry still remains.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, I feel a bit of a fraud because I realise that compared to most I have it easy, I'm just concerned that this anxiety is starting to get too firm a grip on me, any comments would be graetly appreciated (incidentally, I do have a doc appt tomorrow).
Thanks again.

nomorepanic
16-11-09, 09:58
Hi bullethead

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

mandyclare
16-11-09, 10:06
Hiya : )

You are in the right place I think because the likelihood is this is anxiety.. pains in the arms seems to be a common theme and of course the tingling and shaking. Don't feel in any way embarrassed about the fact you are a 40 year old man.. there are others here.. im a 42 year old mother of 3 kids and this site is just great for all ages.

So glad you have a dr appointment because whether it's anxiety or not he will be able to give you some good advice and help i would hope

Let us know how you get on.

Mand x

bullethead
16-11-09, 10:46
Thank-you so much for your kind words Mand. So glad I decided to post now, infact feeling a tiny bit better already! I've felt so removed from my wife and 2 kids over the past couple of weeks when all I really want to do is enjoy things with them. Hopefully this site and a trip to the GP tomorrow will help me turn things round.

bullethead
16-11-09, 12:12
Thank-you Tetley! This has definitely been a good move on my part, feeling more positive than for a while......although anxious that this positivity won't last :doh:
x

Southern_Belle
16-11-09, 13:04
Hi Bullethead,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you feel and will give their support. Job security can effect us more than we know sometimes and I'm glad yours is secure now. I hope your doctor visit goes well and glad you found us.

Take care,

Laura

Lou 1
16-11-09, 13:48
Hi Bullethead -

I too suffer from the same symptoms as you and suffer with others too.

Im 23 years old and have been having panick attacks for over a year now, on bad attacks i can suffer from numbess in one side of my face and also in my fingers.
Like you i spent hours on the internet searching for reasons, in the end i became frantic and had convinced myself that i had every disease possible.
Went to my GP and she confirmed it was anxiety.
And dont worry whether you feel your problem isnt as bad as others, its still a problem for you and isnt a nice thing to deal with.
Hope everything goes ok at the doctors ad hope u feel better soon :)

bullethead
16-11-09, 13:56
Thank-you Laura, and thanks to all at NMP, very glad I found the site.

bullethead
18-11-09, 12:38
Hiya : )

You are in the right place I think because the likelihood is this is anxiety.. pains in the arms seems to be a common theme and of course the tingling and shaking. Don't feel in any way embarrassed about the fact you are a 40 year old man.. there are others here.. im a 42 year old mother of 3 kids and this site is just great for all ages.

So glad you have a dr appointment because whether it's anxiety or not he will be able to give you some good advice and help i would hope

Let us know how you get on.

Mand x

Hi again,
Just thought I'd update you after my visit to the doc. She was great, reassured me that MS was very unlikely and didn't just say "Oh it's only anxiety". Arranged for a blood test to check a few things, primarily in her words to reassure me further. I'm due to go back in 2 weeks to discuss the results. Feeling a lot better today thanks to coming on here a couple of days ago and then seeing the doc yesterday....feel like I am starting to fight back!
Thanks all.

blackberry1972
18-11-09, 13:39
Hi, hope you all don't mind me posting here because to be honest after reading some of the stories from others, it makes me think that all the worrying I have been doing recently has been a gross over-reaction.
I'm a 40yr old man and feel a little silly getting all worked up like I have been and feel I should be able to just 'snap out of it' so coming on here is a big step for me.
In a nutshell, the muscles in my arms have been aching for over a month now (both arms, different muscles but primarily the forearms) and I find my hands shake when doing 'fiddly' things. Also getting a slight tingling, 'pins & needles' feeling in my left hand. Initially I put it down to muscle strain from some work I had been doing around the house but it just doesn't seem to be improving, Not long after it started I also did some 'googling' which scared the life out of me (MS?) but this did also lead me to consider anxiety as a possibility. A week or so before it started I had been told there was a 50/50 chance of losing my job, I didn't think I was that concerned but maybe I was? Thing is, I now know that my job is safe but still the symptoms haven't improved, the job worry has gone but the health worry still remains.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, I feel a bit of a fraud because I realise that compared to most I have it easy, I'm just concerned that this anxiety is starting to get too firm a grip on me, any comments would be graetly appreciated (incidentally, I do have a doc appt tomorrow).
Thanks again.

The dreaded Google search, never a good idea. Google is what made my anxiety worse so now I would never Google health problems.
BTW the pains in your arms is how my anxiety first got a hold of me but I managed to beat that until of course the dreaded Google search :doh:.
Take comfort in what your GP told you and now you have had good news about your job i'm sure you are well on the way to recovery.
Good luck