PDA

View Full Version : Not such a good day

desperate
11-11-05, 18:06
Have been doing quite well of late, managed to go to the hairdressers the other day for 3 hours and also went to my anxiety mngt course even though I am in my 'bubble' for most of this time.

Today though wasn't as good, I went to get a manicure with my mum and had a mild panic attack sitting in the chair. My head just felt all funny kinda like I was drunk-ish just like I would pass out a bit almost. Anyway I managed to stay there ok but then afterwards I just couldn't connect with anything. I stood in the post office ok-ishly, then went for lunch which was ok as well. But all the time I'm there i just feel like my head isn't. Like everyone around me isn't really there and i'm not there either. I try doing my grouding techniques but sometime my head just doesn't feel there at all and I find it very hard to get in the moment almost. :(

After that I did have a little nap, I did feel quite low after it as well just because it felt so weird and should be something nice and relaxing really.

It just puts me off doing things as i'm supposed to be going to a pub tonight and i don't think i can now as my head just isn't in the right place. It also makes me scared sometimes to look at screens such as the TV or computer, almost like my mind can't cope with all the images or it thinks something is going to jump out or something.

I'm sorry for the rant I think i just needed to get it out, my poor mum doesn't know what to say anymore i think.

Sarah

hunny
11-11-05, 19:12
Hi Sarah
You rant way!
Sounds to me that youve been doing brilliantly so far,and that this was one of thoseannoying blips.
The derealisation bit is very frustrating.
Enjoy whatever you decide to do tonight,but dont let this get you down.Youve achieved a lot
Hugs
Hunny x
PS my head often doesnt feel in the right place,half the time i struggle to ground myself!

Alice
11-11-05, 19:18
Hi Sarah

What youre feeling is normal for anxiety. I used to have this and i used to feel like i was the only person in the world with this problem. Its like youre not sure that youre really there, as if you could wake up at any moment and find yourself doing something completely different.

I guess my advice would be to carry on as normal as much as you can. The more you do when youre feeling this way the better, otherwise it becomes another excuse not to go out. Keep doing relaxation cds etc, and try not to focus on the way youre feeling otherwise it will never go away- i know that thats practically impossible but it really helps. Do all the normal things you would anyway and gradually you'll start to feel better.

Good Luck!

Alice xx

florence
11-11-05, 20:04
Hi Desperate

Sorry to hear that you're feeling dreadful and low. I really hope that you'll get better soon.
I too felt that way many times, not nice, i can sympathise.

Take care.
Florence.

*He who loses money, loses much; He who loses a friend, loses much more, He who loses faith, loses all.*

Meg
11-11-05, 23:24
The fact that you stayed in the situation plus carried on through another couple of tough shops etc shows just how well you are progressing .

The head fog will pass as you come down from the adrenalin and you sleep some more. Ideally you need to repeat it all again very soon and see how much easier it will be.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

SickofIt
12-11-05, 13:23
Sorry you had a bad day, Sarah. I hope things are better for you today.

Nichola
12-11-05, 15:20
Hi Sarah

I know exactly how you feel. I've been feeling that way for months. By the sounds of it you are doing really really well.

The main thing is to recognise the positives. You stayed in the nail bar, You went to lunch, You attended your axiety mngt course, all this despite feeling weird. You did great.

I had a similar thing today, I had to pop out for some milk and things for lunch. I only managed a couple of isle in the shop because I was feeling so weird and headed straight to the check-out with what shopping I had. Whilst queing the only thought in my head was could I leave my shopping and run home because I really don't want to be here. I did stay and got served and made a quick exit to the car.

In my opinion the thing to do is stay where you are and 'ride it out' otherwise you are teaching yourself that every time you feel weird you can run. Easier said than done, on occassions I do 'run'. I've also avoided places in case I felt weird. It got so bad that I wouldn't go out!

I'm slowly building my confidence to try and do more things and if I do feel weird I tell myself its just the anxiety and it will pass, stay put and it will go. I try deep breathing and lower my shoulders (at that point they are usually up around my ears!).

I've only been a member since Wednesday and already I've had great advice and reading other peoples stories and symptons kinda puts my mind to rest.

You mention something about grounding techniques, can you share these with me as I would be interested to know what you do, as they may help me.

take care. :D
Nichola

desperate
12-11-05, 15:30
Hi nicola,

the grounding techniques i get from here:

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Anxiety/christine/articles_relaxation_techniques_2.htm

Sarah

desperate
12-11-05, 15:32
Managed to go to the pub last night and stayed as well, went really red and anxious when talking to a bloke as well which really annoyed me.

Went shopping today as well and found that really tough. I'm ok for a while but then all the music/lights/people just get to me and i just don't feel there at all....I'm not sure whether people notice or not though.

I didn't sleep that well last night though as i was too het up from the pub i think. The head fogginess is kinda continuous too i'm afraid, sometimes i think without it i'd be ok but then i think id start panicking properly again almost.

Sarah

darkangel
12-11-05, 15:38
Hello there
I found your story really interesting as you explain exactly how i feel. I can totally connect with what you said. Like you i try to remain in the situation and ride out the awful sensations. I went to the pub the other nite with my boyfriend but when i went to get out the car i felt all weird as though i was going to pass out and my legs just woulndnt move. I made the decision to go home and once home i felt better. Last night i went back to the same pub and although i expected to feel the same i didnt and i got inside and stayed for 3 hours, albeit not moving from the bar stool! Even though you feel really awful you always seem to get back to safety. I hope you find this site useful as i find it helps knowing you are not alone. Take care
Darkangel x

desperate
12-11-05, 15:44
Thanks D.Angel,

Home doesn't make me feel that much different, i guess it's just worse in social situations as i am more aware of it as a problem.

Sarah