PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone - new panicker here!!

ISLASMUMMY
16-11-09, 21:43
Hi everyone,

I have just joined after looking at this forum on and off for years!!

I have panic disorder, which mainly manifests itself in health anxiety, of myself & my family.

This mainly started after my dad had his first heart attack when i was 15 :weep:. I constantly worried about him and wanted to protect him desperately. He had another heart attack before they gave him a triple heart bypass and life was sweet! This went on for 10yrs and even though i was worried i put it to the back of my mind as he looked good, and my panic attacks stayed in check. He suddenly very out of the blue had another heart attack and ths rocked the whole family as we thought the bypass had 'cured him'..........i spent the next year panicking about him dying, where would he be?, how can i stop it?, who can help us?, how would i cope?, i couldnt live without him!!!

18 months later that call came :weep: - I was amazed at my response! I have had months of counselling to be able to say - I felt calm!! The truth is i couldnt worry about him anymore, the worst had happened, it was out of my control. I was desperately sad, but no anxiety!!

Anyhow I had a couple of good years getting used to how life was to be, I got married, and had a wonderful little girl!! I suffered mild anxiety throughout this time, but nothing my usual fluoxetine 20mg couldnt cope with.

Our little girl is now 9 onths old and my anxieties are back. Will bad things happen to her? How can I protect her? Will something nasty get me and leave her without her mum?

I am having headaches, tension, blurry vision, unsteadiness, feelings of incompetence, and just living in fear!

I have gone back to my GP and have been given propranolol 80mg mr capsules to take on top of my fluoxetine - but feel scared to take them!! Ridiculous as I am a pharmacy technician!!

This message is just the tip of the iceberg really but I have to start somewhere!

Lisa (31) xx

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/misc/progress.gif

margaret jones
16-11-09, 21:49
Hi welcome to Nmp iam new 3mnths have been member .I suffer with health anxiety and find that chatting to others has helped me loads. Iam sure you will find lots of help here and wish you well

Margaret xx

Tinker28
16-11-09, 21:57
I have felt that after having a child your panic attacks and anixety come on alot stonger, I get very scared about my health all the time and it had gotten alot worse since having my son. So you hang in there, and think happy thoughts! Good Luck!

andrea thompson
16-11-09, 22:00
hi lisa...

i suffered from really bad anxiety and depression about nine years ago.... i have spent the last eight coping with anxiety and getting by ok.... i have recently come off seroxat and had a miscarraige and some of the old feelings have returned.... i worry about my own health, the health of the people around me and my little boy.... it can be so hard to cope with... my mum died of a heart attack during a road accident about 5 years ago and this adds to my fears.... i do tell myself over and over that the thoughts i have are irrational and coming onto this site really helps... read all the stories about how people deal with their probs and go through the symptoms and why we get them it really really helps.... it makes you feel more normal and you can really relate to others experiences...

i hope you are feeling better soon..

xx

Maj
16-11-09, 22:24
Hello Lisa,

Health anxiety is such a common symptom of us all and when you're so anxious you can't help worrying about every little symptom - it's horrible! Being a parent yourself has probably brought all the feelings back you had about your dad and that's why you're so anxious as a result. There are lots of people on here who are feeling the same as you or have felt the same and you'll get lots of comfort and support from this. I think deep down you are a strong person though and you'll get over this setback given time.
Myra x