PDA

View Full Version : Anybody experienced with tonsils?

reddevil
17-11-09, 10:41
Hello all,

Is it natural to have one tonsil normal and one tonsil large?

I have looked in the mirror and my right tonsil is 10 times as big as the tonsil on the left.

I went to the doctor with this 2 weeks ago and I was prescribed penicillin as the tonsil was inflamed.
After two weeks of taking these antibiotics, looking in the mirror, the right tonsil is still large and it looks awful (lumpy etc).

If anybody has noticed this with theirs and could help me, then thank you for your time,

Red

Gazman
17-11-09, 13:25
I have problems with my tonsils quite often, they are huge!

My left one is slightly smaller and is a different shape.

I would advise you to go back to your doctor if the swelling has not gone down as you may need a deffirent type of antibiotic.

I don't think it's a major concern tho.

j2
18-11-09, 03:41
I had this exact thing. The dr tried antibiotics and steroids but nothing brought the large one down. The dr said that sometimes the tonsil just gets overloaded and grows dramatically. I ended up having my tonsils out when I was 34. The pathology confirmed what the dr thought. He said that could have let it in and there probably would have been no problems. Either way, it is not serious. Try not to worry about it and don't google.

reddevil
20-11-09, 13:24
The antibiotics I took did not take done the swelling but the doctor said they are not ulcery etc.

Can not understand why my brain is focusing on it, making me worry even more.

The one on the left you can hardly see but the one on the right is huge and lumpy'ish etc.

Humly
20-11-09, 13:40
Hi. I'm sure I read somewhere that it is not unusual to have one tonsil bigger than the other, in fact its quite common. And as for them being lumpy, thats normal too. I once freaked out a few years ago after looking at my tonsils when I had a sore throat so now I dont look.

reddevil
23-11-09, 16:50
Hi all,

As it does not hurt when I swallow, do you think it's safe to leave or should I get it looked at again?

Red

reddevil
04-12-09, 13:09
Does naybody have one tonsil which is large and the other very small?

LilMissSunshine
20-01-10, 17:07
Hi - Did you ever get to the bottom of this, and has your tonsil gone down now ? I've had an enlarged one for 3 weeks now that I've stupidly googled about and found all the usual ominous stuff ... would be nice to know if you got anywhere x

smudger
20-01-10, 17:16
I have one tonsil larger than the other (significantly). Had tonsilitus many times as an adult and child. They also have pits or holes in them n sometimes they look infected with white smelly 'stuff' but the dentist and doctor have said its food trapping in the holes. Best thing is to gargle the food out daily, It does work.Hope this helps.:hugs:

reddevil
20-01-10, 20:20
One of mine is larger, a lot larger but i was told by the doctor to ignore it, not a problem.