PDA

View Full Version : Me and my Anxiety

cascade70
17-11-09, 11:02
Hi everyone I joined this site last week and this is my situation. Around six months while walking to the shops i felt what can only be described as a heavy feeling in my chest, although worrying i let it go and over the month it came and went to the point that i was constantly worrying about it. I then made an appointment with my doctor of whom right away sent me to hospital were i spent the night having tests, ECGs and a full stress test. This all came back OK but that was six months ago and since then I have been on edge on lot of the time, thinking that i have a heart condition, negative thoughts about dying and constant muscle tension around my upper back as well as the strange pains in my chest.

Two weeks ago i was back in hospital due to pains in my arm and had another EGG as well as several blood tests, all of which came back negative. So on arrival back at my doctor i have been refered to see someone to discuss the problems that i am having but all i can say is that the last six months have been extremely hard as i try to cope with this condition. My main regret is that i did not take action all thise months ago when i ended up in hospital the first time because i think all the worry has made the condition worse. Anyway i plan to use this forum to share with other people how i am getting on with tackling this problem as well as reading the progress of fellow members here.

Sammy J
17-11-09, 11:35
You sound very simlar to me to be honest. I had/have chest pain and have been in A&E about 4 times and was even referred to a cariologist for piece of mind. All ECG's, chest x-rays, bloods and cardiologist tests have been okay but I still worry about this daily!

cascade70
17-11-09, 11:46
Yeah its not nice going through life feeling like this. One of the things that i have been told is to get more exercise and keep physically fit which i have always done but over the last six months i have been scared to go to the gym because i think i will have a heart attack on the treadmill. I dod go last night and got anxious as soon as i walked on the treadmill, then i started to breath heavily and felt discomfort in my chest but i continued to do my workout. After I had finsihed i felt OK, until i got home and i started to say to myself that i overdid it at the gym and this has casued me more harm than good. Woke up this morninf, felt like crap, although i am feeling much better at the moment. Think it may not be the best idea to go to the gym while i am feeling anxious, and go when im OK.

sarah jayne
17-11-09, 12:11
Ive been like you described for 2 and a half years. Ive lost count of the amount of times that ive been to the hospital and doctors. I was recently diognosed with costochondritis which at times can mimic a heart attack. Even though ive finally found out what is wrong with me i still worry.....x

cascade70
18-11-09, 16:28
First of all thanks for your replys was really good to hear that i am not alone, I did attend my first counselling session yesterday and the Doctor said that i should be giving myself a pat on the back because i went to the gym the other night and did not let the anxiety that i was feeeling at the time put me off. Today im feeling more positive although i am getting slight dull aches down my left arm and upper back i know that this is my fight or flight response getting just about ready for action. But have to say that this is a fantastic website and i do intend to keep people updated with my progress

ames6767
18-11-09, 16:41
Im feeling pretty bad today, worring because Im getting these missed heartbeats its driving me insane. I wouldnt wish this on my worse enemy, its making me sooo depressed. sorry I dont want to bring everyone down but Ive just had enough!!!.

ames6767
18-11-09, 20:06
I must apologise for what I wrote, it probably didn't make anyone feel better. I was just in a panic. X

valleybear
18-11-09, 20:15
This has been my story for many, many years...ECG's, 24 hr monitor, Cardiac consultant,chest pains from costo in the middle of the night..ambulances.. A&E... Treadmill.....I have a horrendous phobia about that one....Just to say that as I am now retired and over 60, I think that it is more likely now, and what a waste of years to have spent so much of my life worrying and stressing about my heart when in reality I was young and relatively fit!!!!!

B-gal
19-11-09, 00:52
Ames don't apologise, this forum is to talk openly about how your feeling :) I hope your feeling better now.

I had my first ever anxiety related feelings this week, was a strange feeling, had a crushing in my chest and was panicking about all sorts including blood clots, heart attack, pneumonia etc etc. Truth is I think Im anxious about some test results Im getting this week and thats how its effected me. Im realli trying to breathe deep and relax when I get them. now I know its probably anxiety its much easier to control. At the start I couldnt get it to go away at all. Im worried that Im going to develop health anxiety long term, I didnt realise it was an actual thing until I came on here and heard about everyone who was dealing with it. If anyone has any advice on how to nip it in the bud thatd be realli great.

Take care
xx

cascade70
19-11-09, 09:24
Well one thing that I have been doing is keeping a dairy of my days and writing down the times when i am anxious. Then when the feelings come on such as the dull ache in my arm or the heavy breathing and chest discomfort then i look at the dairy and i know that i have had these feelings before and i am still here. My doctor gave me good advice regarding having a heart attack, he told me that it will not wait for you, if you are having the chest pain, a heart attack will not decide "Ah i will leave it for now" and your chest discomfort would begin to ease. But it is a struggle as we all know but by keeping each other posted on this group i am sure we can be a great comfort to each other.

cascade70
08-12-09, 12:33
Hi everyone, its been a few weeks since i started this post so i thought that it would be a good idea to give everyone an update as to hold i am doing. Over the last three weeks i have attended three sessions of CBT and they are starting to help me. Last week i had a bad day when i felt tried and had chest pains along with aches and pains round my neck and shoulders. But for the first time i was accepting that this was my anixety and not anything sinister and no what, the feelings passed as they have always done.

i have also started going back to the gym which was a struggle but i have actually enjoyed the last couple of times that i have went and i have felt quite good afterwards. I have also decided to spend more time with my family and not bottle all the feelings up that lead me to breaking down last month. I am also starting to regard the odd muscle twitches i get as simply muscluar the that they always pass and they are a result of me constantly over reacting to my symptoms.

My main concerns at present are that i get anxious about becoming anxious when i am feeling fine. I say to myself that i feel good but this is not going to last and its only a matter of time before something sets me off so i am going to discuss that at my next CBT session. I also am looking forward to the future after being in what only can be described as a dark place for the last month, i have goals which i want to achieve when for a while i had done as i did not see the point of making any as i generally tought there was a possilbilty that i am not going to be here in the coming weeks.

I am also starting to look back at some of the ways that i have reacted to my anxiety in the past and i am saying to myself on how stupid i was to put myself through all this unneccasary worry, what i waste of time and i feel thats helps me deal with current situations when the condition flares up. Anyway thats me for now, i will keep you all posted with my progress.

Thanks for listening