PDA

View Full Version : Can Anxiety/Panic Really be This Bad?

Flutterby24
18-11-09, 00:31
I have suffered from Panic disorder for the past 8 years or so. I've had it under control for the past 3 years, but about a month ago out of nowhere I had the worst panic attack I have ever had. Since then I have had them almost daily, sometimes multiple times a day. I am a basket case right now, and my life is being taken over. I have never felt anxiety like this even at it's hilt. I feel like I am going crazy and I am under normal circumstances a very together person. Sometimes I feel like I am having a constant panic attack for days at a time. No matter what I do, I can't tell myself that there is nothing bad happening to me. I have been prescribed celexa, but am afraid to take it, as one of the possible side effects is more anxiety!! I hate how I am feeling right now. Can one really feel this horrible everyday with anxiety??? I have also been prescribed ativan as a quick fix, but lately it seems the ativan makes me more anxious even though I take it sparingly. The next day after I take it, I am shaky, nauseus, lightheaded, constantly on the verge of another attack and an emotional wreck. Does anyone else feel this way after one time use? I haven't felt right for over a month now. I am starting to wonder if something else is wrong.

jude uk
18-11-09, 05:45
As always the first thing is to seek medical advice.

There is no doubt one can feel less in control after a bad panic attack and as you have had it under control for the past 3yrs, this would have been a blow to you. I dont believe panic attacks come out of the blue, I believe there is a gradual build up that we may not notice. Even after we have have suffered our 100th panic attack there is a link to why we are having them and for most the reason is, we have not rooted them out.

If you dont get a weed out from the roots it will slowly grow back

Anxiety sucks and I understand how you feel. But I want you to think back to how you got it under control before and even share this with others. In fact by posting about it, it may also help you to see what you may need to do to combat it now

Alisonj
18-11-09, 06:49
I agree see a doctor and make sure you get things ruled out. There was a time that I thought my anxiety was completely spiraling out of control. I thought I was going to literally jump out of my skin. It was not nice. I saw my doc and it turned out I had thyroiditis. It just causes your levels to go out of whack for awhile and then return to normal. But my doctor gave me propanolol and it worked perfect!!!! I was calm and back down to earth. However at the same time anxiety can really cause some nasty symptoms. I have had my heart rate up over 200 and been feeling horrible from a panic attack. It happened at the hospital and they managed to do an EKG while my heart rate was so high and it was just anxiety.
It is a cruel and horrible disease. That I pray one day we will all manage to find our way out of.

Louise2009
19-11-09, 11:10
Hi Flutterby,

I felt exactly the same way as you do earlier this year, and was asking the same questions, 'can this be anxiety'. Mine was anxiety and I am sure yours is too. It made me feel like I was going crazy - it's the most difficult feeling to describe. I know it is not much use saying this now, but it WILL get better, it will just take a little bit of time.

big hug!:)

ames6767
19-11-09, 11:37
hi, I suffer exactly the same as you. I've had panic disorder for 4/5 yrs and it was under control then I had a bad panic attack and felt like I went back to the start. I have been put on betablockers and feel a lot better for it. I know it feels terrible for you but take one day at a time. You will have terrible days but then some good. If the medication you've been given scares you, try something else. I do think meds help to get it under control then you can concentrate on the mental side. Lots of love to you. Xx

jackie xxx
19-11-09, 12:51
hi,

I was on seroxat for 10 years with terrible attacks so much so that even on my honeymoon I ran from the hotel screaming in the middle of the nite, At one point, i wa having easy 10 - 20 a day and was absolutely knackered. But the best thing I done was go natural ie i brought bach remedies(made to order ones), herbal teas, valerian etc while I was on my medication and gradually brought doen my meds but stayed with the herbs and nothing has ever helped them so well? wot r u taking or doing to help? x:bighug1: