PDA

View Full Version : Advice I wished I'd listened too ............

Lottie32
27-01-04, 12:28
I must be getting old, cos I was thinking the other day about advice that I've received - and blatantly ignored, and have now found myself repeating to those unfortunates younger than myself who are around when I get my lecture head on! Here are some of them ......

1. NEVER start smoking
2. SAVE some money every month. Even if it's only a few pounds
3. DO NOT sign up to store cards/credit cards. And especially not at Xmas
4. NEVER put of till tomorrow what you can do today
5. A good man IS worth fighting for
6. Your schooldays really ARE the best years of your life. Make the most of your youth whilst you have no ties
7. INVEST in bricks and mortar. (Why oh why didn't I buy a house during the property slump? I'm doomed to live at home forever now!)
8. A minute on the lips - a lifetime on the hips. Watch what you eat (and I mean health food, not diet food), and get into the habit of taking regular exercise
9. Learn to say NO (and mean it). Or in some cases (FCUK off)

Charlie

sadie
27-01-04, 14:35
Hi Charlie,

You sound just like me... you think and worry too much about everything!! I think we all ignore advice from our parents and peers because we want to find out for ourselves whether its the best thing to do. We definetly learn from our past choices but thats a good thing I think..if we were all to do the same things then we would be boring!!!

What I have realised now though is that you should listen to your own inner voice so to speak and make decisions on what it is telling you...then I beleive you will alsways make the right choice for you!!

I have made a few wrong choices over the last few years and I knew at the time my inner voice was telling me the right way to go but I just didnt listen. Now I always follow my gut feeling no matter what.

Dont beat yourself up about choices youve made..you can change whatever you want to change..you just need to put your mind to it!

Sorry for being so philosophical....thats what happens when you have a day off work and have too much time on your hands!!

Take care

sadie

Lottie32
27-01-04, 15:23
Hi Sadie

Not particularly beating myself up about it, I just think it's funny that Ive realised that I've finally grown up - when I'm lecturing people with the same boring drivel that my parents did! But thanks for the thought anyway, I try not to look back too much, cos whats done is done, and theres nothing (usually) you can do about it.

And sometimes things work out for the best. When the 80's revival hit the high street I thought, what a shame I threw all my old 80's gear away. Then I went into Top Shop, remembered how foul it all was, and how unflattering pedal pushers/ra ra skirts, satin (unless you have the figure of a pencil), the shades of neon blue, shocking pink and yellow (full stop). Yes, sometimes things happen for the best.

Obviously, it stops becoming boring drivel when you finally "grow up"!

Number 10 is missing too for some reason

10. Never eat yellow snow

Have you got any you'd like to share?

Love

Charlie

sadie
27-01-04, 16:06
charlie,

I will get back to you with them...my brain has went blank for the moment!!

the only ones i can think of are

1. if you love someone let it go, if it comes backs its yours, if doesnt it never was
2. dont pick your nose as your bum will fall off( I remember this one from when I was a small child)
3. If you cant change things then whats the point in worrying about it
4. Live each day like it was your last

Sorry, I know there pretty poor, I will think of some more.

sadie

nomorepanic
27-01-04, 21:51
Charlie

I can relate to most of them too!!! What are we like eh?

I can't think of any either - let me get my brain in gear .....

Nicola

sadie
27-01-04, 22:47
Charlie,

What about -

1. what goes around, comes around
2. 'wits no fur yeh, wont go by yeh' (must be said in a strong scottish accent)

Sorry thats the best they get!!

sadie

kate
27-01-04, 23:01
Hi all,

Some things I wish I had taken onboard when younger...

Stay in and do your homework, on time, and to the best of your ability.

Don't get married too young, see a bit of the world first

Don't spend all your money on pay day, save a bit for the rest of the month!

Go and see your old granny more often, you don't know how long you will have her

Charlie, I also agree with the saying NO and sticking to it. That has really been my downfall over the years!

Kate x

Meg
27-01-04, 23:33
Especially for Kate, Charlie , Nic and Sadie :

The Donkey Story

If you have ever changed doing what you are doing, because of what other
people have said---read this little story. It will help you understand why
you should not let others influence your travels through life.

An old man, a boy and a donkey were going to town. The boy rode on the
donkey and the old man walked. As they went along they passed some people
who remarked it was a shame the old man was walking and the boy was riding.
The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right, so they changed
positions.

Later, they passed some people that remarked, "What a shame, he makes that
little boy walk." They then decided they both would walk! Soon they passed
some more people who thought they were stupid to walk when they had a decent
donkey to ride. So, they both rode the donkey.

Now they passed some people that shamed them by saying how awful to put such
a load on a poor donkey. The boy and man said they were probably right, so
they decided to carry the donkey. As they crossed the bridge, they lost
their grip on the animal and he fell into the river and drowned.

The moral of the story? If you try to please everyone, you might as well...
Kiss your "ass" good-bye.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
27-01-04, 23:48
heeee,sooo true,well said meg..best wishes..bryan.

Lottie32
28-01-04, 10:27
Sadie - actually thought they were really good. (Although the last one took me a while to read!)

Kates too were very good (what grades I could have had, if I had revised! Or even opened a text book. Then where would I be now .....)

But then I wouldn't be who I am today, and I quite like me, and so do my friends, so I don't really care!

Love

Charlie

nomorepanic
28-01-04, 14:16
Meg

Nice one - I like that!

Nicola

Laurie28
28-01-04, 14:30
I realized last night that I may just be an 'adult' when I actually turned the TV over to WATCH the news!!

Does that mean I'm a grown up??

Lucky

sadie
28-01-04, 20:33
Lucky,

You know that your all 'grown up' when you watch Top of the Pops and you can remember the song the 1st time round!!!

sadie

kate
29-01-04, 09:40
Hi all,

I also think that you have finally "grown up" when, in cold weather, you either put your coat hood up or wear a hat, without being nagged to do so!!!!

Kate x

Lottie32
29-01-04, 15:51
Kate

Yes - and all those girls who walk round town in next to no clothes in the middle of winter, exposing legs arms and midriffs.

They'll catch their death .........

Charlie

Matt
29-01-04, 15:54
quote:Originally posted by Lottie32

10. Never eat yellow snow

11. Have a leak before you leave work as its not just 20 mins home everyday then you wont have to create number 10.....

mmm how much do I wish I'd listened to number 11 last night!! haha :D

Oh and there was a number of them in the traffic last night charlie!:D I thought I would offer my services to warm them up as there car had died then I decided they may phone the police and report me as a stalker or something!! haha

m

Lottie32
29-01-04, 17:21
Sadie - it gets worse. I can remember some of the songs the other two times they came out - before the THIRD release thats currently charting.

Matt - I must be sad. I have the biggest collection of coats, blankets, socks and other items of "useful" equipment in my car. The only thing I've used out of it however are two screwdrivers and a pair of pliers when nobody bought any barbeque tools to the last summer afternoon out! Maybe I could save some money this year by simply emptying my boot (there are 3 tidy boxes in there).

It's a sad state of affairs when a simple act of human kindness is mininterpreted and results in a criminal conviction!

Charlie

Matt
29-01-04, 20:31
haha they didnt actually call the police ;) I just thought they might!! hahaha

Yup I carry lots of crapo in my boot too!! :D Its not often you need it but its great to have it when u do!!:D

nice use of BBQ tools!! haha

nomorepanic
29-01-04, 22:41
I have an exercise mat - how useful is that - lol

Nicola

Matt
29-01-04, 22:43
haha I didnt get that I couldnt figure out what an "exercise" was.... then I realised you werent talking to me and it was an "exercise mat"... hahah

nomorepanic
29-01-04, 22:52
lol Matt

I really did mean an "exercise mat"!

You muppet

Nicola

Lottie32
30-01-04, 09:49
Nic

It could be useful if you get stuck at the top of a big hill in the snow, and need to get to the bottom. You could just sit on it and slide down.

It could also come in handy if you need to change a tyre and it's raining and you have a skirt on. Then you could kneel on it and not get soggy tights and knees.

You could also put it across your window at night to stop your windscreen freezing over.

Also, if you got stuck on the motorway, you could get out and do some relaxing yoga on the hard shoulder (make sure you do it by the side of your car though so its acts as a barrier in case of accidents)

It's got more uses than my old riding hat and three assorted whips.

Charlie

kate
30-01-04, 11:39
LOL Charlie!

What fantastic "Handy Hints"!!!!

I'm still wondering about the 3 assorted whips though......

Kate x

Lottie32
30-01-04, 13:18
Kate -

I did actually make use of them one night in the local pub when we played forefit pool.

My only excuse is I was young, had too much to drink and it seemed like a good idea at the time

In the cold light of day, particularly as I was working with horses at the time, I realised how stupid I had been. Especially when I got to work (exam day) and saw that I had three hours riding work in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. Saddles not being known for their soft squidgy bits.

Probably not one to tell the grand kids!

Charlie

kate
30-01-04, 16:46
OOOH Charlie,

You little devil!![:0]

Bet you had loads of fun though!!:D

Kate x

benoo5
30-01-04, 18:40
WHIPS,WHO MENTIONED WHIPS LOL,

will carry on cooking my dinner,now ive got that off my chest...luvly jubbly...bryan.