PDA

View Full Version : Blood Tests for Autoimmune Conditions

springblossom
18-11-09, 19:26
Hi all,

Does one have to request blood tests for autoimmune conditions (lupus, scleroderma etc) or are they part of a regular UK gp blood test?

If one does have to request a special test are there a number of diffferent tests or one broad-spectrum test that can indicate a problem?

Thank you!

SB

guitarpants
19-11-09, 05:21
I don't think there is anything in and of itself to indicate them, but I know SED rate help indicate an inflammatory disease such as those. A doctor had one ordered for me when they wanted to see if lupus was a factor.

springblossom
19-11-09, 13:07
does one have to specially request this?

guitarpants
19-11-09, 16:31
No, it's usually in the round of tests when they check for autoimmune disease. You can ask though if you'd like.

springblossom
19-11-09, 17:05
so are autoimmune diseases checked for as standard or must one request an 'autoimmune blood test'?

ChrisMayo
19-11-09, 17:55
Hey springblossom

I was worried about Lupus sometime ago, so requested an ANA and ANF blood test to be done.

My doctor was suprised I knew what those tests were (Google told me some useful things), and said I didn't really need one, but I insisted, and all came back negative (along with normal full blood counts etc).

I'm seeing a Rheumotologist for my own piece of mind, who do more in depth tests, but you can ask your doctor for one.

Most people with auto-immune diseases would test positive for at least one of those tests.

Any abnormalities would show in normal blood tests, which they could then investigate further with more tests, but, for your own piece of mind, it's fairly easy to get an ANA / ANF test done.

Hope that helped a bit. x