PDA

View Full Version : Why would a doctor want to scare you ?

looking4answers
19-11-09, 03:29
I have been going to my doctor off and on for about three years and she has been very supportive and also offered compassion about anxiety until lately.

Last time I went to the doctor I had to wait almost two hours to see her. I had taken it on myself to withdraw from an anti-anxiety med that was low dosage to start with . She told me that anxiety was caused by just the anxiety of knowing the withdrawal symptoms and not the actual symptoms.

After waiting for 2 hours I was very anxious and already anxious from not having my meds for 15 days. The nurse took me in and took my blood pressure and said oh my its high. I told her that it was white coat syndrome and if she would look at the chart she would know that. She said nope.. its pretty high. At this moment my anxiety shot even higher. It scared me. I had to sit and wait another 40 minutes for the doctor to come in and announce my blood pressure was high.

She had never been so stern and always had just said I probably just had white coat syndrome and then just blew it off..She stressed it, although it had always been around that reading or just below.. She checked me out for about an hour checked everything she could and then said for my piece of mind she would give me an ekg and then said everything was fine.

She did say however that she was going to up my beta blockers.I knew this wasn't the right decision as up until I pulled myself off my anxiety meds I had felt fine with no problems. She upped them from 2.5 to 10 mg which was a high jump.

So I started taking the meds and was so tired and cold and breathless along with other side effects.. I have been taking them but cutting them into half but still not feeling back to normal although not as tired .

I tried calling her yesterday to ask her about the meds and she didn't call back . Today I called and finally got her nurse which said they had 48 hours to return calls. I couldn't understand the official statement since I only ask to talk to the doctor that had told me that if I ever had any questions to please call her and she would surely call me back.

Ok getting back to the nurse. She said the doctor had instructed her to call me and ask me what the issue was . I told her that I wanted to take my beta blockers back down to what they were and monitor my own blood pressure. She said that she would ask the doctor and she would call me back later or the doctor would. She did not call me this morning as she said the doctor requested nor did she call me back this afternoon.

My wife got angry and called and talked to the receptionist and she finally got the nurse and told her that she wanted me back on my regular meds and that she wanted me to have enough refils and that SHE would take my blood pressure and call the results in once a week. The nurse said it was important for her to call the results in and as a matter of fact she wanted me to come in once a week for a bp test.

Anyway after my wife talked to her I asked her if maybe my BP was up because I was nervous that day and perhaps I didn't have High BP. She said NO it was really high and that for sure I probably had high blood pressure. She is a new nurse that works for the doctor .its the first time I have ever had any contact with her other than at the office.She is the one that was sure my BP was high whether anxiety or not. So why
if my BP is that high didn't they have me on a 24 hour BP monitor or
have me come in to check my blood pressure on a regular basis? Why did
the doctor if so concerned didn't call me back yesterday and the nurse didn't call me today . How come if they were all so concerned about my high blood pressure they didn't even bother to find out what my question was.

My wife said she is pretty sure I don't have high blood pressure because she has been around someone on a regular basis that did.. and I didn't look or act like those people.. Also she questioned why the doctor or nurse didn't call me back to ask what my question was about my BP meds..

But the nurse did act as though she was so sure that I had high bp and also insistent that I call them once a week to report the readings.. None of this makes any sense other than to scare the living daylights out of me.

Care enough to say call us with the readings but not care enough to call me when I had a question about the bp med? I think im going to change doctors but for the life of me I can't understand the change of a compassionate caring doctor to a doctor that doesn't care and is so sure I have high BP but doesn't call me back to ask what type of problem I was having with my meds.. Im just really upset. I trusted her and her opinion now I am not even sure of what to think.

Would they just get amusement out of telling you that you might have high BP and scaring you on purpose? Why would a good doctor turn on you and try to convince you that you had high blood pressure with just one higher than normal reading when she knew you were upset? Im really disappointed.. I truly am and now I feel really alone in this little place where there aren't that many doctors especially ones that care at all.

guitarpants
19-11-09, 03:44
It may be possible the doctor was having a bad day. They are people too. I can't say for sure if that's the case, but it may be. I hope that doesn't sound flippant, I don't mean it to be.

Welsh.Baz
19-11-09, 08:48
Could possibly be that the doctors were just having a bad day of it, they all get it at times, just try again a different day and I bet they'll be fine :)

gypsywomen
19-11-09, 09:41
we forget doctors are very busy people when we have anxiety e are so scared we expect them to be there for us 24x7 but they don't look at it this way ,to them we are just another patient,once your Doctor made her diagnosis and was satisfied ,the meds would help probably didn't think you needed her ,i know this sounds hard but its true ,if your bp is as high as she thinks i cant understand why she didn't put you on blood pressure tablets s beta blockers are for various conditions ,, you sound like you need meds just for blood pressure

erin31
19-11-09, 12:47
So sorry you have had such a bad time with your doctor but I have to agree with what has been posted before, doctors are just as likely to have a bad day as the rest of us. You don't know who or what your doctor had had to deal with in the hours before you saw her.
Also she may not be happy that you took yourself off your anti anxiety tablets without consulting her or that you don't agree with her diagnosis of high blood pressure.
Instead of changing doctors maybe you could think about trying to re-build the relationship you had with your old doctor. You did say yourself she has been very good in the past.

KK77
19-11-09, 14:12
I agree with the above about doctors having a bad day sometimes but it still doesn't justify them taking it out on patients that are clearly suffering from anxiety disorders. The fact that you challenged her diagnosis probably annoyed her too. But not calling you back is plain sloppy.

I would give her another chance. If she treats you in the same way again then you could think about changing doctors. I know it's very easy to take it personally, but I wouldn't. She's been understanding in the past so just put it down to her frustration.

NoPoet
19-11-09, 23:10
How much higher than normal was your blood pressure reading? It seems a bit amateurish for a doctor to freak out over one high reading, considering that they know you are suffering from anxiety.

My nan had a blood test earlier this year which showed an abnormally high reading. They were talking about giving her medication to control it. When she had a second reading, it was much lower, around her normal level. It turned out to be stress which gave the unusually high reading. There was nothing wrong with her at all.

Have you measured your blood pressure at home since? Anxiety is always going to raise your blood pressure, so you have to take that into account, especially if you are anxious, angry and frustrated about having to sit around for 2 hours!

looking4answers
19-11-09, 23:12
we forget doctors are very busy people when we have anxiety e are so scared we expect them to be there for us 24x7 but they don't look at it this way ,to them we are just another patient,once your Doctor made her diagnosis and was satisfied ,the meds would help probably didn't think you needed her ,i know this sounds hard but its true ,if your bp is as high as she thinks i cant understand why she didn't put you on blood pressure tablets s beta blockers are for various conditions ,, you sound like you need meds just for blood pressureHey Gypsy,

Hi, Ok. I get all of what you said.. and understand ,believe me I do understand. I wouldn't call the doctor if I thought I was dying because it makes me even more anxious. I do understand your respect and up until yesterday I had the highest regards for my doctor.

This is my plight. Ok? We live in a town that the population is less than 2000 people.
We live 8 miles southwest of town. I haven't seen this doctor in over two years except at the last visit. Ok you have to understand. We have five maybe ten other health providers here . She is a new medical person and when we started going to her
she was new in town didn't know anyone and close by so we chose her.

OK next thing is there is hospital and multiple health agencies in a neighboring town
she is a small general medical group. They can afford to spend a little extra time making personal phone calls and also giving personal service. That is what I got the first visit there . She recognized anxiety and was compassionate and considerate
and thoughtful. She told me even this last time they made me wait for two hours to go to the back and then another 40 minutes(no wonder they thought I had high blood pressure) but she told me Why don't you call me when you have issues. I said I do but you never return my call personally . She said "Oh no problem" just call me when you need to im here for you .

So you see I understood her to be a small town doctor with personal service and a good bedside manner. She is not. I have been to large hospitals with busy busy busy staffs in major cities and just moved from one of the largest health care facilities four years ago that serviced not only over 2 million people in a metro area but also the entire USA in specialty services and never got treated like a number or a person that was annoying.

OK this doctor is only a nurse practitioner that has a doctor handy, but I gave her my confidence in her diagnosis.. I trusted her and never doubted her .All this being said she is my doctor and I want to trust her but how can I ?

I have seen her three times in four years. The first time I went there my bp was elevated a little and she told me not to worry it was white coat syndrome, next time same thing. and they made no BIG deal out of it.. said it was nothing worth checking out just anxiety.

This time I go in and was freaking out since I had not been there for over two years ,
they make me wait two hours to go to the back .. then the nurse takes my blood pressure and sure its going to be sky high anxiety anxiety anxiety .. then not only does she assure me that I have high blood pressure she leaves little doupt that it can be anxiety and says its really high and you can bet you have high blood pressure.

That freaks me out at the very least ,very unprofessional.. Im a professional tech but would never ever ever give a diagnosis on one thing. I would check it over and recheck and make sure before I opened my mouth. These people are suppose to be professional that wasn't . Im not talking about FREE health care these people charge big money for their services ok? Next I have to wait another 40 minutes freaking out and thinking I was going to die right there and the doctor comes in and first thing she says is oh my god ..Your blood pressure is sky high .YOU MUST Have high blood pressure. Funny thing is that last time I was there it was higher than that and she blew it off.

One thing I can say for her. She checked my heart more than it had ever been checked listening and listening and listen to my lungs ,checked me from head to toe ,looked in my mouth down my throat and also checked my ears and eyes for blood pressure damage. She said there was none and to boot she gave me a free ekg just
for my piece of mind...Ok I don't understand.. If Im going to keel over from high blood pressure at any moment why didn't they give me a shot of something there or send me packing to the hospital for observation at the very least give me a really strong blood pressure medicine and not a beta blocker?

Ok now you understand the situation a little better. I choose her for being a small town not E R doctor that has no time. She is not a surgeon ,she is a nurse practitioner.. with lots of personal time to be if need be on call for me 24/7 but like I said I would never bother a doctor ,nurse or anyone because it tends to freak me out more than help. So no in a nutshell I don't expect anyone to be on call for me when I want them.

As a matter of fact I know a surgeon and E R doctor that live down the road from me very well and also two nurses within a few miles that are as good as doctors . I don't bother them ever, so why would I expect that from my doctor.

I do expect when a person says call me if you need me or need anything and Ill call you back. They don't call you back and they tell someone else to call you and see what I needed and they don't call either and my wife has to call and get ugly with them.

Ok.. Today I went to the pharmacy and because my wife called them and told them what she wanted .The pharmacy already had my meds the mg that I ask for and enough for six months so I wouldn't have to go back to the doctor that soon.

I suppose when you tell them because you PAY them what they will do they jump.

Im not a nasty person and my wife isnt either but I suppose in this little hole in the wall they think they are kings .. and you have to put them in their place. So im back on my orginal meds and will be monitoring my BP on my own to see what happens..

Also the doctors have a moral obligation when they prescribe a medicine to someone to be sure and answer any and all questions about reactions or symptoms they produce also here in the USA they have to be available to consult just in case they screwed up and gave something bad to someone. They can be sued.. Just for your information.. Anyway that about sums up what happened and why I feel the way I do and im not an unreasonable person, I want respect not someone at my beck and call but I do expect respect. Thanks and good luck

looking4answers
19-11-09, 23:23
Psyco,

Hi, I just ordered a blood pressure monitor I will get it tomorrow. My blood pressure was 140/85 and the time before that when the doctor blew it off it was 160/90 .That is what I don't understand why the nurse which I never met before said for sure I had high blood pressure and there was no doubt that I had it no questions ask also the doctor came in talking about it. .saying I had high blood pressure.. for sure and she was going to give me higher meds..but she didn't offer to take my blood pressure again the second time to see if I had settled down or anything.

I would think when it was 160/90 they would have acted that way but both times I had been smoking a lot that day and had lots of caffeine and was really really panicked about going to the doctors.. so now why all of a sudden the change of heart.? I think they are mistaken and i was just in panic mode.. and Im going to prove it to them with the readings at
home and taking my normal mg of meds.. Its sad because I have trusted this doctor and believed she was sure of everything that she talked about ,now im confused and not even calling me back personally to tell me what she thought and having a nurse I don't even know call me back ,the same one that was so sure I had high blood pressure..that is bizarre.. so now im back to looking for another doctor and hope that I don't get one with the GOD complex.. its really sad in this little miserable place at least I thought I had found someone that understood..