PDA

View Full Version : Does therapy makes things worse?

Mya
20-11-09, 00:58
Hi

I have been experiencing panic attacks for almost 2 years. I have not sought any help for this until this past week when things have spiraled out of control and my husband insisted I see a therapist. I really want to get help because my life has been horrid for myself and family. I have an appointment for next week. One part of me is excited to try and improve, however, the "catastrophic thinker" in me is afraid that it will actually make me feel worse. I feel like I am in such a vulernable state that if things do not go well I fear for myself. Has anyone had negative experiences with going to therapy and felt their symptoms of panic and depression got worse? I have never taken any medication and would like to try and sort things out through therapy first. I understand that therapy at times will make things better and sometimes worse, but I am very scared the impact it may have on my well being since I am in such a state right now. I also strongly believe I have OCD that has manifested to higher levels in the past couple of years. Any input is much appreciated. Thank you!

maddie
20-11-09, 01:44
My experience of therapy is that it really helps, but it can be painful. There are reasons, sometimes very deep-seated, why we have problems and it can be difficult to face them. I found that the time between sessions was hard sometimes. Often a session raised issues then time ran out and I was left with them. I discovered that this was good, though, because I had time to think things through before the next session and decide what I felt I needed to talk through next.

I think you have to be prepared to speak the truth or you are only cheating yourself of the opportunity to resolve problems in a safe, guided, environment. I became rather introverted during therapy as there were so many things I had to think about and often they changed the way I thought about how I was living my life. In the end, I did feel more empowered and my self esteem was higher. I felt brave and proud of myself for facing things.

Good luck. I hope it works positively for you.

guitarpants
20-11-09, 01:56
I've come to realize only two things can come of therapy: 1 - it can help. 2 - it can not help. Fortunately therapy is one of those things that really can't hurt you or have any side effects.

Mya
20-11-09, 18:46
Thank you do much for your replies. It gives me more confidence in trying to get help since it has obviously not gone away! I think the hardest step is recognizing we have a problem and it is ok to seek some help. Thanks again for your input.:)