PDA

View Full Version : Can supressing your feelings make you depressed??

ANXIETY26
12-11-05, 21:40
Can supressing your feelings make you depressed?? I have been holding myself back from making a decision with regards to a relationship problem I have (main reason being that I hate hurting anyone). My life has basically been on hold for to long now. I fear making a mistake, not knowing if it's the depression that is making me feel this way towards a certain person or whether it just that the feelings are no longer there. I have started taking medication to see if this helps bring the feelings back but with no success so far.

I know that this is'nt a relationship problem site but any advice would be appreciated.

nomorepanic
12-11-05, 21:52
I don't think they necessarily make you depressed but may make you feel a bit down and as though you are missing out on something.

It is hard to make decisions sometimes when you don't feel 100% because you don't know what is ruling things - you head or your heart.

Hope you can work through this.

Nicola

desperate
13-11-05, 18:09
Hey,

I think they can. I think I put off things sometimes and then realise that 2 years have gone bye and i'm deeply unhappy, i wouldn't let things just drag on, but then i know your situation is quite hard so i can see why you are delaying things.

Sarah

Sue K with 5
14-11-05, 13:34
Hi

I spent my early years and early 20's making bad decisions and chosing paths that were not right for me or for others, this has left me so damn indecisive over the years and to make a decision when you feel low and insecure about your own choices can hold you back !

I too have had problems regarding my relationship over the last four years, its hell and I am still in limbo with it now !

I think thats why a few weeks ago I decided that I would not make any rash decisions until I started to find myself again and without the anxiety and depression which has such a hold over me !

Sometimes our first choices are the right ones, its our subconcious mind that makes us change !

Depression and Anxiety hold you back ! but that does not mean that your not able to make decisions !

I am learning that very slowly!

Its your life and you have to make the most of it !

Sue with 5

scknight

Antipodes
15-11-05, 01:59
Hi,

I can empathise with what you said in its entirity.

There is another way of looking at this. You may actaully have the symptom "emotional numbing" (used to be referred to as psycho numbing). You may consider you are suppressing your "feelings" (emotions) and this is making you depressed or lowering your mood. In my case, I have emotional numbing as described in DSM-IV and can distinguish my PTSD by the traits "anxiety", "mood" and other more physical symptoms like poor memory and concentration, exaggerated startle reaction, hyper-vigilence, and other.

There is one link I can paste that I think you will find useful and relevant to your need. It is difficult knowing if your partner will really be your lifetime mate. That takes time. If you'rre suffering depression with meds not really helping now is NOT the time to make any major life-change events when mood moderation would permit you a better perspective or understanding about you really feel about that other person.

My first wife was my first wife. My second wife is my mate. I recognised some quality or attribute that permits two people who would enjoy each others company for a long duration (health permitting) to recognise this. No one else can tell what this is (and it's different) but you. But now isn't the time to make big decisions? Right? :- )

The _right_ meds will compensate for chemical receptor imbalance and mood will brighten. Likewise anxiety (if any) can subside. Only when you are at peace with yourself and everything else in the world is ok will you have a good chance of getting in touch with your feelings and see how you do feel - for this would be the start of overcoming the psychological numbing. I wish you every success in mastering this ANXIETY26.

I hope your meds are appropriate (compared to praised meds in meds section for what you identify with). If so you will shortly be feeling less obtrusive negativity. Let us know how you're getting on.

Antipodes

LooksLikeRain
27-11-05, 09:34
I used to get a lot of emotional numbing when I was younger, and then on and off every now and then.

We Don't Have To Live In Fear No More