PDA

View Full Version : Tinitus tests

Cell block H fan
20-11-09, 14:18
My mum went to the hospital yesterday about her Tinitus. The consultant said he's a bit worried because she only has it in one ear. So has recommended she have a scan. I cant remmber what the scan is, is it CT scan? Does anyone know? And what does it involve?
The fact she has had Tinitus about 5 yrs must mean its nothing too serious causing it surely?

SleeplessFog
20-11-09, 18:48
I had some tests done because of my tinnitus, they did do a CT scan once, but everything else they did was more like hearing tests. Stuff with my eyes and ears. Nothing really serious. How bad is her tinnitus? I hate tinnitus, I've only had it on and off for 8-9 months and I can't imagine dealing with it for 5 years.

countrygirl
20-11-09, 19:29
its probably an mri scan of the head and ears to rule out a very slow growing growth you can get on your ear nerve -if it is this scan then it would show up any untoward reason for your mothers tinnitus but in most cases no cause is found. Don't worry they tend to order these scans for every patient with ear problems!

Cell block H fan
20-11-09, 21:28
I had some tests done because of my tinnitus, they did do a CT scan once, but everything else they did was more like hearing tests. Stuff with my eyes and ears. Nothing really serious. How bad is her tinnitus? I hate tinnitus, I've only had it on and off for 8-9 months and I can't imagine dealing with it for 5 years.

What exactly is a CT scan, what do they do? She gets claustraphobia, & like me, she cant even deal with a head scan! So I hope they dont need to do that.
I think her gets worse when she is stressed, so thats a good sign isn't it?

mark1980
20-11-09, 22:31
What exactly is a CT scan, what do they do? She gets claustraphobia, & like me, she cant even deal with a head scan! So I hope they dont need to do that.
I think her gets worse when she is stressed, so thats a good sign isn't it?

I had a CT scan about 14 months ago for an appendicitis. It's much quicker than an MRI and much less claustrophobic. Basically its similar to the MRI but your surrounded by a giant doughnut instead of a tube and it only takes seconds to do. The CT scan uses x-rays whereas the MRI doesn't, it uses magnetic fields, bouncing off the molecules in your body - I only know that because I was looking on wikipedia last night!

So, your less enclosed and it's much faster, hope that helps.

Cell block H fan
21-11-09, 11:12
I had a CT scan about 14 months ago for an appendicitis. It's much quicker than an MRI and much less claustrophobic. Basically its similar to the MRI but your surrounded by a giant doughnut instead of a tube and it only takes seconds to do. The CT scan uses x-rays whereas the MRI doesn't, it uses magnetic fields, bouncing off the molecules in your body - I only know that because I was looking on wikipedia last night!

So, your less enclosed and it's much faster, hope that helps.

Thanks Mark x