PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to the doctors

Humly
20-11-09, 14:59
I will try not to bore you - bit of a long one and I'm sorry if I am repeating myself. So you see, I have been having problems with toothache, but there is nothing wrong with my teeth. It started with the back teeth, lower jaw on one side (after a botched filling) and now I am getting it on the other side too. It alternates from one side to the other. Had all the tests, xrays etc and they cant find anything wrong with the teeth. And my ears hurt too sometimes but I had them checked a few weeks ago. Its really weird and quite unpleasant. They are putting it down to clenching and I've now got a mouth guard to try. So I have made an appointment with the doctor on Monday and I dont know why I am going as because its teeth, I think they might just send me back to the dentist. Thing is, I am obsessing about it an awful lot and my other half thinks I need something to break the cycle of worry. I dont want to go on anti d's as I dont feel absolutely wretched, although I have my moments, and I'm scared that the side effects will make me feel worse. Also I know that when I get there I will act as if its not really bothering me and not tell her how I have really been feeling.

So the question is, do I cancel the appointment and just get on with things or go to see the doc. Thanks all for listening.

reddevil
20-11-09, 15:03
I will try not to bore you - bit of a long one and I'm sorry if I am repeating myself. So you see, I have been having problems with toothache, but there is nothing wrong with my teeth. It started with the back teeth, lower jaw on one side (after a botched filling) and now I am getting it on the other side too. It alternates from one side to the other. Had all the tests, xrays etc and they cant find anything wrong with the teeth. And my ears hurt too sometimes but I had them checked a few weeks ago. Its really weird and quite unpleasant. They are putting it down to clenching and I've now got a mouth guard to try. So I have made an appointment with the doctor on Monday and I dont know why I am going as because its teeth, I think they might just send me back to the dentist. Thing is, I am obsessing about it an awful lot and my other half thinks I need something to break the cycle of worry. I dont want to go on anti d's as I dont feel absolutely wretched, although I have my moments, and I'm scared that the side effects will make me feel worse. Also I know that when I get there I will act as if its not really bothering me and not tell her how I have really been feeling.

So the question is, do I cancel the appointment and just get on with things or go to see the doc. Thanks all for listening.

Hi,

I went through a period where my teeth would ache, which I went to the dentist and had x-rays and everything was ok. I then went to see my doctor who said it was caused by anxiety. After several weeks it vanished and I get it slightly from time to time, which I put down to anxiety and it goes quickly. I was told to higher my anxiety medication, which helped me get over it.

Red

Humly
20-11-09, 19:05
Thanks Red. I have had that in the past too where I have had toothache, gone to the dentist and like you everything was ok and it just went away on its own. But this has been going on for 9 weeks now and I am getting earache and hissing in my ears as well. Its very odd in that the ear pain is on whatever side the teeth are hurting at the time. I am thinking (hoping) that the doc can tell me whats going on and sort it out as the constant pain is getting me down.

Mondie
20-11-09, 20:29
Do you clench your jaw or grind your teeth? I suffer from TMJ and find that it makes my teeth and ears hurt a lot.

Just a thought?

looking4answers
20-11-09, 20:48
I just thought I would mention it . I have a good friend that is a dentist.. He works on his own teeth and mine as well.. There are two causes that he knew of that causes what you are describing. First of all is TMJ where you maybe are clenching your teeth at night causing it to move the jaw and its muscles and bones to one side or the other.

The second.. is one he says he knows all too well. Its sinus. He says my teeth are perfect in everyway but when I have sinus it causes pressure on my teeth and makes me feel like I have a mouth full of bad teeth when I know for a fact I don't.. Maybe this is the hidden cause and hope it helps.. Micheal

Humly
21-11-09, 10:09
Thanks Michael and Mondie.
Yes my dentist thinks I must be clenching/grinding my teeth and I have now got a night guard to wear which isnt doing much to be honest but maybe it will take a little while to have any effect. As for the sinus thing, doesnt that only make the upper teeth hurt. Its my lower teeth that are hurting. I would love it to be sinus trouble as it is easily sorted.

Mondie, how do you cope with the tmj thing?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Humly
23-11-09, 16:50
Well went to the doctors this morning of course I made light of my situation, as if I was not too concerned. As I suspected, as teeth are involved, she kind of lost interest and latched on to the tmj thing which I suggested to her in the first place. I came away with amitriptyline which are used as a muscle relaxant but I know are used as anti depressants as well. I am a bit annoyed with myself for not mentioning how bad I was feeling a few weeks ago (I am better now) but thats me all over.