PDA

View Full Version : hypochondriac

MiseryIsAButterfly
20-11-09, 15:57
Is it just me or does anyone else get really anxious after taking a new medicine for the first time? I am always like this. I feel like I have all of the side effects described in the leaflet. It's really upsetting. I am afraid to take my acid reflux medicines prescribed because the side effects sound horrible. I know if I don't take them my throat will only get worst seeing as how I have really bad acid reflux. Does anyone else have this problem with medicines?

nomorepanic
20-11-09, 17:21
I used to but I am now cured of it.

I was even scared to take paracetamol at one point but after a long illness and given loads of drugs I overcame my fear as nothing bad happened like I imagined it would.

DeMac
20-11-09, 17:25
Hi Misery - what meds are you taking for the acid reflux - as I suffer from the same condition and it's a must I take my meds every day.

Dee xx

magpie girl
20-11-09, 17:31
hi misery,i know exactly how you feel but acid reflux can make ur anxiety worse.Its important to take your meds and you will feel alot better,alot of the chest pains throat pain will go away once you start the meds:D:D

DeMac
20-11-09, 17:35
I totally agree with you Mags xxx :hugs:

margaret jones
20-11-09, 17:46
Hi Misery

O yes as a ex nurse i know the reasons for taking your meds but i like you seem to imagine that i will get all the side effects ,it does not help that there are some meds i cannot take. O to be like my hubby just takes them never reads side effects and never gets any ( LUCKY THING ). Re the tabs for reflux i dont know what the side effects are but i am sure the discomfort is unpleasant . Why not give them a try you can always go back to Gp if worried
Take Care Margaret

looking4answers
20-11-09, 21:30
Oh My God.. yesssssssssssssssssssss lol..Every one I have ever got I always break it in half to make sure if something bad happens at least it wont be full affect. Weird I know..

I'll tell you something very funny.. Years ago , and im not going to say just how many years lol..but years ago I worked in a drug store as a manager . I also managed the and was boss of the pharmacist .When I would go to the doctor they would give me meds and I had a built in staff "so to speak" to ask about my every thoughts about medicines and drug affects and side effects. Ok remember now I am the boss of this drug store..

I have ask several of my pharmacist about meds in the past and they would tell me the possible effects and etc. One day the oldest pharmacist was working there and I ask him about some meds I was taking and he was filling the prescription for me and he told me this drug could cause this and that but I probably wouldn't be bothered with it and so on.. I kept asking a million questions and he got aggravated and finally said .. JUST DON"T TAKE THE MEDICINE >>he was angry with me.. After that I never ask him about side effects but I found that too many questions on the wrong day can really make someone mad lol.. To answer your questions I still get scared that I have taken to many of a pill or forgot that I took it already . Talk about paranoid with new meds .. I take the cake.,..even with old meds I get worried lol. So basically you aren't alone with this phobia lol

MiseryIsAButterfly
31-12-09, 14:14
Thanks everyone for the reply, I was prescribed omeprazole but STILL haven't taken it due to my fears. Currently I just take the chewable PepcidTwo tablets that are over the counter. For some reason I have in my mind that these are somehow safer, as the side effects don't seem as serious. I also read on websites not to take Omeprazole if you are allergic to penicillin which I am. I told the doctor about that and he said that it wouldn't be a problem, yet several sites I have been to said otherwise.

sarah jayne
31-12-09, 17:42
I always worry about starting new meds and always read up about them first, then i seem to get all the horrid side effects. Next time i think i'll just take them without knowing the side effects and see what happens..x