PDA

View Full Version : advice please

irishguy
20-11-09, 16:28
hi all Ive been prescribed citalopram for the third time 10mg my doctor seems to think this is all i need to tackle my anxiety . Been taking them now for three days just taken my third . Was just wondering if anyone has had a drink while on these meds. Have to go to a family function tonite and if I'm not drinking i will be forced to. not in a bad way . its my brothers 40th.

Gareth
20-11-09, 17:31
I've always had the odd night out when on Citalopram. There is no chemical interaction between this SSRI and alcohol BUT as I'm sure you know, alcohol messes with your body and your brain in pretty powerful ways so if you do drink quite a lot expect to feel like crap for a good couple of days afterwards. When you're anxious and uptight anyway, the booze will exacerbate this.
I expect you'll get replies saying that alcohol will actually counteract the effect of the meds, I don't know if this is true.

Gareth

suzy-sue
20-11-09, 17:55
Drinking alcohol with Citalopram is ok in moderation ..You will feel like you have drunk a lot more than you have and the hangover will feel like it too .Best to just have a couple or you will more than likely pay for it big time for days afterwards ...Believe me ive done it ,and it wasnt nice at all ...:lac:Sue

irishguy
20-11-09, 17:59
I think ill just have a few glasses of red wine . I can sip that all
nite . I took my pill about 4.00pm going out about 9.00pm . Think this will be
ok ? by the way thanks for the replies.

suzy-sue
20-11-09, 18:07
I have always found wine makes me feel worse than beer .It dehydrates you more ..If you have 3 glasses it will have the effect of 6...Drink plenty of water before you go to bed ,it will help with the head tommorow .Better still to stick to beer if you can ..Have a good evening ...:whistles:Sue

irishguy
20-11-09, 19:16
Thanks guys for all your advice.

irishguy
21-11-09, 16:29
Well i survived last nite . Had about 4 glasses of red wine didn't feel any different and feel OK today apart from the usual anxiety.

waterfall
21-11-09, 17:35
hi irish guy
i was in the same predicament as yourself last week - was going on a blind date! was all i needed to be honest as had been having a pretty bad day....i knew that i needed a drink but managed to stick to 2 beers and thank goodness no SEs the next day [i'm on 30mg of cit 1st time diagnosed with depression at 34...eek!]
i know the pressures of going out with family and friends who have a few sociables [i'm irish myself!!] - most of my family and friends dont know i'm on meds and in the past i was always the one to be counted on for providing the 'craic'....
hope your ok....
d

suzy-sue
21-11-09, 19:31
Glad you are ok Irishguy ..You at least know how you are on that ammount ..The trouble is sometimes you say you are just gonna have a couple and in company its sometimes hard to say" no I cant have anymore ".Next day you feel like death warmed up . LOL Know your limits and stick to it regardless ,it can make your anxiety shoot through the roof the following few days after when you exceed your limits .... Sue x