PDA

View Full Version : Ectopics - confused by jargon

pknorth
20-11-09, 21:32
Ok so I think I get ectopics, but it seems like everyone explains them the same, and I cant be 100% sure. I am going to try and explain what I get in a more human way and see if anyone can match it to the word :)

It can happen randomly, I dont feel my heart beating at first I just get an almost sick feeling, its the same feeling you get when you open the door to see the police, and you know its bad news for example. My heart is a little racey afterwards but not too bad. I have my panic attacks under control now and can slow my heart back down at the click of a finger luckily.

I used to be a huge panic/anxiety sufferer, sitting in bed days on end etc. But I am probably at 95% now and only panic in situations anyone would panic in (spiders etc) so dont think these feelings are caused by panic, they dont scare me. I was just hoping to work out what they was and got confused by jargon.

Also one website said its nothing to do with the heart, its a nerve at the end of your esophagus (if that spelt right i want a medal) that gets tickled at times and causes the sick nerves feeling?? I dont think its this but hey ho.

Kind regards in advance for your replys :yesyes:

nomorepanic
20-11-09, 21:38
Hi there

Have you read this ...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/palpitations/

It may help

countrygirl
20-11-09, 21:44
Usually with an ectopic you also get a thump in your chest as the extra hard beat follows the extra or early beat. If it helps ectopics are extra electrical impulses called premature ventricular contraction:yesyes:that is a weak beat and your heart puts in a stronger following beat to empty the heart of blood. You could be getting ectopics as I get the strange feeling like being given a nasty shock when I get ectopics. Just remember that in most cases ectopics are harmless just horribly unpleasant. Sometimes it can feel like your heart is fluttering in your chest- you can get funny tickle at base of throat loads of different sensations. The nerve thing is that an irritated vagus nerve which does run at top of you gullet:D easier spelling, also gives you ectopics beats and anxiety chemicals irritate this nerve hence anxiety causing ectopic heartbeats.

Lecture over!

mandyclare
20-11-09, 21:44
Hi pknorth... i think what you are describing is the sort of pre cursor feeling before a palpatation... the kinda sudden extreme nervous feeling? When I get the feeling you describe i always half expect a full palpatation to follow but thankfully it doesn't always happen.

I might be wrong but I don't think these are ectopics just a feeling of sudden anxiety that could potentially lead to an ectopic. It's a really horrible feeling but try not to worry about it as it can't hurt you.

Mand x