PDA

View Full Version : travel help?????

iamsam188
22-11-09, 02:03
well i suffer with anxiety and a little depression, my family are planning a trip to london to visit family. from my home its about a 3 hour/4 hour drive and i cant do 10 min journey without feeling like i cant breath and needing to get out, was wondering if anyone knows of ways i could deal with this, the trips is in 2 weeks time

any help would be great

maddie
22-11-09, 02:18
Hi. I have problems with journeys too. I would suggest that you start by taking as many short journeys as you can in the next two weeks - increase the time you go out each trip. I have sweets to suck and the radio, a tape, or ipod to listen to. You could listen to a relaxation session, or buy a recording of a book to enjoy. Play games like I spy with others in the car. Break the journey down with frequent stops. It also helps me to break it down mentally too - "next place to look out for is Manchester.... when we reach Birmingham we're half way there, etc" Wear loose clothing and have the window or air vent open for cool air. Finally, keep focused on why you are going and how much you will enjoy being there.
Good luck!

iamsam188
22-11-09, 02:56
ok and thanks so much xD , !!!!!

denovo
22-11-09, 04:44
I was where u are(and still am, alittle) I started traveling around town with my wife a little here and there...and now am able to go in to town with out panic...still fear longer trips. But the more u break the circle the stronger we become! I was a very out going strong type of man before this thing took over my life...But I will fight it every day till i find victory. u,no we will win...!

iamsam188
23-11-09, 01:47
i was a very strng person before , was always out with friends, was never at home andnow everything has changed. i hate being alone and away from my family, im playing the "just in case" card where if i go out on my own or with a friend if i have a panic attack im going to be alone, they wont be able to help. Lucky my trip is with family but i still panic being in that small space....... im so worried about this journey :(

maddie
23-11-09, 01:56
Try to include time for regular stops so you can get out and take some good deep breathes of fresh air. You still are a strong person - that seems to be the one thing we all really have in common! No harm is going to come to you if you do have a panic attack in the car. Just try to distract yourself and think of other things. Panic attacks feed on fear. If you do have one, let it happen and know that it will end and you will come through it.
I hope you have a good trip. Please let us know how you get on.

iamsam188
12-01-10, 00:54
hi i know its been a while but i totaly forgot about this post lol x i went to london and i had a fab time!!!!!
i took some boiled sweets and my ds to take my mind of things and i talked alot in he car too. we stopped off 1hour and a half into the journey where i got out and took a lil walk then back in for the other hour and a half. the journey back was a lil more stressful as it was pitch black and my uncle got lost lol but even though that happened i still never had a panic attack. the journey was so easy and i thankyou all for ur help and support, i wouldnt of been able to do it without u so thankyou!!!!!!

Anxious_gal
12-01-10, 17:54
I hate long journeys too.
But I went on a five hour drive, ten hours total. I actually did very well! so I now I now that I can cope next time I've to travel.
If you take sedatives, you could take one. or like me, take half and see how much that helps and take the rest of it if you really need it.
positive thinking that's the key.
notice when you think scary thoughts or imaging disastrous scenarios such as seeing yourself panicking.
keep telling yourself your safe, while tapping on your eyebrows, under your eye's, chin, collar bones. it's surprising soothing.
let your family know you may need to stop and get out.
so you can get out at the petrol stations, walk around maybe buy some sweets.
try watching a movie, if you have dvd player or a mp3 that plays movies.
definitely bring happy music.