PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else avoid losing weight in case it 'confirms' their suspicions?

Debdaw
22-11-09, 09:29
I really could do with losing a bit of weight, but know that if I do so then I will associate the weight loss with my current cancer worry and conveniently ignore the fact that I've done it deliberately. Can anyone else relate to this? I feel ridiculous having written it down, but am literally worried about losing weight (as its a symptom of cancer) even though on another level I would like to lose it!

steven67
22-11-09, 14:13
ho yes your right on the button thats me, i ate like a pig and put on a lot of weight so i could say it was not the big c but my blood tests were ok and three docs said there is nothing wrong with me i have ibs and ha take care

RosieXXX
22-11-09, 19:52
Hello Debdaw,

I can understand this. I haven't weighed myself for a couple of years at least!! If my clothes feel too tight then I try to use that as a measure, and I will cut down until I feel comfortable with how my clothes are fitting. This HA makes us think and do all sorts of weird things - knowing there are other people who can relate to it does help in a strange way though.

countrygirl
22-11-09, 20:41
You have beaten me too it - I was going to post same thing and also that if I ever feel happy then I panic that I shoudn't as something horrible health wise will happen - how sad is that:weep:

I seriously need to lose weight and as I have an underactive thyroid its not easy anyway but as every day I have symptoms that could be something that will threaten my life I think like you I daren't lose weight in case its not from dieting but from the "undiagnosed illness".

I have not admitted this to anyone so its nice to know I am not alone,

bouche12
23-11-09, 11:46
countrygirl - you are sooooo not alone, especially when it comes to the feeling happy and then stopping for fear that something bad will happen to ruin it anyway.

Shiloh
23-11-09, 14:32
Ah yeah! If I so much as lose a cou[ple pounds it sets me off worrying. Doc tells me everytime I should lose a stone and I go OK sure! No way :D

kittykat
23-11-09, 15:58
I posted about this a while back , i deliberatly eat too much cause i know if im putting weight on i cant be seriously ill with cancer but then i worry about my weight as it's not healthy either and can cause illness within itself , its a really difficult vicious circle for me.

superjonboy
23-11-09, 16:05
I have done this so much. I used to be 18 stone but I'm over 6 feet tall and have always been a well built lad. I now weigh 22 stone but 3 weeks ago that was 23. I've lost a stone in those few weeks because of my anxiety. I've kept being sick and been right off my food.

In the past if i've tried to lose weight I've just felt dizzy and unwell. I've never coped with it very well at all.

I also see it as a sign that something could be wrong if I'm losing lots of weight. At the minut i'm worrying everyday that I could have a terminal illness.

John.