PDA

View Full Version : meds for anxiety cause panic

becky000
22-11-09, 09:39
I posted this under the medication section but have had no replies.
I'm desperate to talk to someone about this.

I have bad anxiety and have suffered on and off with it plus panic attacks for about 18 years. I've had some years where I've been fine though.

Initially I was given Prozac and Valium and really battled to take them because I had developed a phobia about taking medication. I eventually managed and they did help. I stopped taking them about 8 years ago.

Recently I've been through a very stressfull situation and have become so anxious again that I can hardely function at work. I finally went to the doctor who prescribed Ativan (Lorazepam) 1mg. I would have preferred what I had been given before but she felt I needed something different.

Just the thought of taking one of these pills causes me more panic and anxiety!

Has anyone else taken these? Will they help me? Will I feel strange if I take one?

I would really appreciate some feed-back.
Thanks
Becky

Krisvicious
22-11-09, 09:50
Hello Becky,

I was given Ativan to help with immediate anxiety. Now, I am not used to taking medication considering I am 20 and this is all new for me. I also have a fear of medication. Ativan makes me feel dizzy and lightheaded and drowsy. Now, I cant stand the feeling of being not being in control of myself. So i don't take it anymore but you have taken medication before so it might be similar to what you are used to.

Sorry if that wasn't much help,

Krisi

barrywin
22-11-09, 09:58
Dear Becky,
I had my first major panic attack/nervous breakdown 3 years ago at the age of 41 after a very stressful family situation. I was diagnosed as being Bi Polar and have suffered terribly with depression and anxiety since then. I was put on Prozac, Valium and Ativan. I am since off of the prozac and this has been replaced with Remeron and am now also off of the Ativan. The Ativan was given to me to take after evening meal or before bedtime and it really helped me sleep really well and I personally did not find anything bad about this drug (like you I hate taking any type of medication) but I found Ativan really really good. I was prescribed 2mg but that could be because I am quite a large man. I don't think you will feel strange at all if you take it -- just very calm and relaxed and initially sleepy.

Best wishes,
Barry

I posted this under the medication section but have had no replies.
I'm desperate to talk to someone about this.

I have bad anxiety and have suffered on and off with it plus panic attacks for about 18 years. I've had some years where I've been fine though.

Initially I was given Prozac and Valium and really battled to take them because I had developed a phobia about taking medication. I eventually managed and they did help. I stopped taking them about 8 years ago.

Recently I've been through a very stressfull situation and have become so anxious again that I can hardely function at work. I finally went to the doctor who prescribed Ativan (Lorazepam) 1mg. I would have preferred what I had been given before but she felt I needed something different.

Just the thought of taking one of these pills causes me more panic and anxiety!

Has anyone else taken these? Will they help me? Will I feel strange if I take one?

I would really appreciate some feed-back.
Thanks
Becky

becky000
22-11-09, 10:17
Hello Becky,

I was given Ativan to help with immediate anxiety. Now, I am not used to taking medication considering I am 20 and this is all new for me. I also have a fear of medication. Ativan makes me feel dizzy and lightheaded and drowsy. Now, I cant stand the feeling of being not being in control of myself. So i don't take it anymore but you have taken medication before so it might be similar to what you are used to.

Sorry if that wasn't much help,

Krisi
I felt dizzy, lightheaded and drowsy before I took any medication so I think, in my case, this was all due to the anxiety.

becky000
22-11-09, 10:21
[QUOTE=barrywin;578599]Dear Becky,
I had my first major panic attack/nervous breakdown 3 years ago at the age of 41 after a very stressful family situation. I was diagnosed as being Bi Polar and have suffered terribly with depression and anxiety since then. I was put on Prozac, Valium and Ativan. I am since off of the prozac and this has been replaced with Remeron and am now also off of the Ativan. The Ativan was given to me to take after evening meal or before bedtime and it really helped me sleep really well and I personally did not find anything bad about this drug (like you I hate taking any type of medication) but I found Ativan really really good. I was prescribed 2mg but that could be because I am quite a large man. I don't think you will feel strange at all if you take it -- just very calm and relaxed and initially sleepy.

Best wishes,

I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through.
I'm also so grateful to hear from someone who has been on the same meds as I've been prescribed.
I eventually managed to take one last night out of sheer desperation and that was after my husband first took one to show me that nothing bad would happen (I'm SUCH a baby!)
We both had a really good night's sleep and I must say I didn't feel any strange side effects. I was already feeling dizzy and strange so I can't blame that on the Ativan.
I have yet to take one during the day and go to work though.
I hope you're recovered now?
Becky