PDA

View Full Version : Not again

manx_kitty
22-11-09, 11:10
Hi everyone,

Im new to the forum so i thought that i would share my story with you all.

I have suffered with Anxiety and Mild Depression for about 5 years now, it all started when i smoked cannabis and had a really bad panic attack, the panic attacks became more frequent and then lead to full blown anxiety and depression.

I have been on Anti-Depressants for a long time now, they have helped a lot. After not working for 5 years i decided to do a short course at college which started in September this year. I thought that i was doing really well up until yesterday when i had a really bad panic attack, the only thing i can think of that caused the attack was that i had a can of coke (i had'nt had a fizzy drink for about 2 months). I knew the feeling straight away even though i had'nt had a panic attack for about 3 years, it frightened me so much and now i feel like im back to square one :weep:

I don't want to feel like this again, i had been doing so well and finally felt like i was getting my life sorted out.

Bill
24-11-09, 06:10
When we are doing something that causes us alot of stress, even if we're not actually aware of feeling stressed at the time because our minds are so busy trying to think of everything, it's when we take a break and the pressure is off that we often have a reaction to the stress we've been under because our minds aren't then being occupied by all the things we were trying to concentrate on and so all that's left are the feelings within us that the stress has created. Our subconscious then becomes aware of the reaction (these feelings) which then triggers us to worry what's happening to us (even if we're not actually aware of thinking a worrying thought because it's a subconscious reaction just as we would run at the sight of a lion without thinking anything) which then creates the panic attack.

When this happens we often don't realise what's caused the panic attack so we then think about what we were doing at the time so our own minds then side-track us into believing the action at the time must have caused the attack when actually it was a reaction to stress that had been building up previously due to previous events that day or during the past week, months etc.

The important thing is to remember that the attack occurred due to a build up of stress and that it always passes so never to dwell on it. If we dwell, it'll be more likely to keep occurring because our fear of further attacks will then create more attacks because our fear will then creates tension and therefore added stress which is then more likely to cause further attacks.:hugs:

manx_kitty
24-11-09, 18:51
I am trying my hardest to not dwell on it but i just feel like i did a few years ago now :(

Bill
24-11-09, 20:50
Then you need to focus on reminding yourself how you were thinking and went about each day between then and now to help you forget what has just happened. If you can forget it, it will forget you too!:hugs:

manx_kitty
26-11-09, 20:09
Thank you Bill, i am determined not to let this take over my life again

Bill
27-11-09, 02:17
Just glad to be of some help...hopefully.:hugs:

i am determined

Determination is one of the key qualities we all need to overcome our fears but remember not to "fight" the feelings. i.e. don't try to resist them because they frighten you, because being afraid will make you tense up which will then make you feel worse.

Just let them go through you with a "don't care" attitude then try to forget them...literally! Treat them like a sneeze! They sometimes happen but we don't worry about them.

You'll be fine! I'm Sure! But if you do ever have any further problems or need some support and you think I can help, you're Always Welcome to ask me in case I miss it on the board. Keep well.:bighug1:

Danath
27-11-09, 02:29
dont forget kitty that caffeine can also cause/contribute to panic attacks and anxiety, I apparently have GAD and I avoid caffeine like the plague, the only times i really touch it is if i have a very small amount in alcohol as mixer or if i eat chocolate(doesnt usually cause any problems)

know where you're at with the pot though, I used to smoke it a fair bit a few years back and laid off as I thought it may have been a contributing factor. It might not have but theres a lot said about it and we never know whats mixed in with it these days either, so I cut it out despite how much I enjoyed it.

DAn

andrea thompson
27-11-09, 02:40
hi hon i can really relate to what you are saying. i have suffered with anxiety and depression for nine years.. it stems from years of good times, going to raves, taking drugs etc, if i am honest i think it goes back further to my childhood... but the panic definatley only started when i began drinking and taking recreational drugs! i began taking seroxat and had counselling and gradually got better at coping with the feelings. i was unable to work for about three years... i too went to do a course and really enjoyed it. i am back on my feet. i have a little boy and i work part time as a tutor. i love being a mum and i love my job. recently i had a miscarraige and now my hormones and periods are all over the place. i have noticed the panic and anxiety setting in again. i am trying to combat it by being organised, not putting too much pressure on myself, getting plenty of me time but its obviously not working because i have been up for about two hours shaking, shivering, sweating, going to the loo, feeling really tense. i am going to go see the Dr on monday to ask for some counselling. when i logged on and read your story i couldnt believe the similarities. i hope you can find comfort in the fact that you are not alone in feeling like this. i think in your case this was as bill said a build up of stress, dont be too hard on yourself and remember to give yourself time out!!! take care x x

looking4answers
27-11-09, 02:56
Wish I could wave a magic wand and say you won't ever have a panic attack again.. But thats like saying I could make the sun not shine or the earth not spin..You will but now that you know what they are and know that so many people have them and you learn to deal with them you will find they can be handled.. Im sorry you are feeling so bad and hope that you feel better soon..Michael