PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Withdrawal help!!!!

kristy5095
23-11-09, 17:11
Hello, I am hoping that someone can offer me some reassurance before my H.A completely takes over!!
I've been on Citalopram for about 18 months and after feeling that with the CBT etc I'd had along with a more steady period in my life I was able to come of it I went to the GP who advised to take 20mg ever other day for a week and then 10mg every other day for a week and then 10mg every few days and stop.
I am about 4 weeks in now so have stopped the tablets and I feel like hell...!!
All I can liken it to is as if body , mainly my head has an electric shock (although it doesnt hurt) and they come and go. I feel that my heart is racing and I am tired but feel wired and unable to concentrate.
Is this normal and if so how long does it last??
Thank you all :scared11:

gypsywomen
23-11-09, 17:17
if you go to the search button and type in Citalopram it will take you to room where people take it hope this helps xx

suzy-sue
23-11-09, 18:20
[I]Firstly I would like to sa I am sorry you are feeling so terrible ..This is perfectly normal and will eventually get better ..By coming off so quickly and by cutting down this way hasnt given your body time to adjust before you cut down again .You are experiencing bad withdrawals because of this .For the life of me ,I cannot understand why some Drs tell their patients to come off like this .The only advantage if you can call it that is you get off it quicker .Its better to cut down very very slowly over a long period ,that way you dont feel half as bad .Still you have done it now ,Its just a matter of waiting ,probably about 4-6 weeks after your last tablet ..Its in reverse as when you first took them .The head zaps are very common and sometimes rarely they can last for longer ,with long periods in between .Its just the Brains response to the chemicals youve been taking .Its got to get back to working without them .Well done and please dont worry ..Hope you feel better soon ,,Luv Sue xx:hugs:[/

superjonboy
23-11-09, 20:14
I've withdrawn from Citalopram a couple of times and experienced exactly the same things you're describing.

Suzy-Sue is right it's just your brain re adjusting.

kristy5095
23-11-09, 20:38
HI,
Thanks for the reassurrance, now that I've got this far i just need to dig in and perservere!!!:lac: