PDA

View Full Version : Sudden onset of anxiety after feeling ill

Ikari
23-11-09, 19:38
I've recently turned thirty, and not long after I was hit with what seemed like a pretty standard viral bug - I had a couple of days with a high temperature, but then everything went back to normal (although I was feeling really tired) and I went back to work.

A couple of days later at work, I was suddenly hit by a severe bout of feeling like I was going to pass out and feeling extremely light-headed. After it didn't seem like it was going to go away I told my boss I felt ill and went home, but since then I'm having problems that I just can't shake and I think anxiety is at the heart of my problem.

The bad light-headedness and tiredness which I had a couple of weeks ago has gone now, but I've found myself suffering from feeling really spaced out, more slightly light-headed and off-balance, my vision is frequently blurred (I work with PCs, so a big problem), and my hands are almost constantly really sweaty (which I never usually have a problem with). I also have no real appetite, as when it comes to eating I suddenly find I have a dry mouth and can't swallow, and sometimes end up retching (but not vomiting) as a result.

Looking online, all of this seems to point to an anxiety problem - Even though I think I'm very slowly improving, I'm constantly thinking about my health and my symptoms while I wonder what's wrong, and I'm sleeping poorly as well. I've had an eye test which came back clear and been checked out by two doctors who have found no problems with my heart/blood pressure/breathing/blood sugar, so there's nothing obviously wrong with me, but the way I feel at the moment still leaves me feeling scared that there's more to it than just something in my head.

Right now I'm just trying to persevere back at work and trying to do all of my normal everyday things, but it's really hard. I'm quite a shy guy but I'm normally laid back about everyday stuff (including my health - I hadn't been to a doctor in almost a decade before recent weeks!) - Have I really turned from that into suffering from anxiety just like that overnight?

margaret jones
23-11-09, 19:46
Hi Ikari Sorry to hear you are not feeling to good at the moment ,you wll find lots of helpfull advice and lovely people on this site .

Best Wishes Margaret

agnes
23-11-09, 20:09
Hello Ikari

I think you may be right that your "symptoms" are due to anxiety. Have you looked at the information pages here? They are really helpful, as are the posts from people on the forums.

theia

Ikari
23-11-09, 20:18
Thanks Margaret and theia!

I have looked through the information pages here and elsewhere, it's been really informative and it's only persuaded me further that my main issue now is anxiety - It's still so hard to take that on board and not let the gremlins in my head start suggesting that there's something else going on, and I'm probably also anxious about how anxious I'm getting!

agnes
23-11-09, 20:56
Ikari, I think maybe it's like an anxiety cycle in that our anxiety often interprets a physical symptom as something far worse than it is, which then makes us more anxious. A lot of us here find Claire Weekes' books helpful...she really seems to understand anxiety and she offers good advice.

looking4answers
24-11-09, 06:21
Sounds like anxiety but if it persist check with your doctor.. just to be sure..Michael