PDA

View Full Version : OCD link - Getting in formed is important

mum2four
14-11-05, 18:27
http://www.ocdcentre.com/pages/informed.htm

people with OCD are plagued by unwanted, persistent obsessions (intrusive thoughts/impulses) that create an awareness of alarm or threat, e.g. "I might get AIDS from the germs on that door knob", "I might be capable of abusing children", "Since I had the thought of killing my baby, I might be capable of doing it" or "If I don't pick up that dirty litter someone else might get sick from it, and I would hold myself responsible" etc. This is usually (but not always) followed by compulsions (repetitive tasks or rituals) which seem to be outside their control and are carried out to relieve the discomforting thought, e.g. excessive washing or repetitive rituals

Alice
14-11-05, 19:27
Mum there is information about ocd on the nmp site too

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - what it is and how to overcome it. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=ocd)

mum2four
14-11-05, 21:24
Thanks but I didn't need more info some other people on this site do thoe.

It feel like the OCD people are picked off one by one why have OCD on the site if people with feel like aliens here. It a shame that people with other issues as well as anxiety as misunderstood so badly. I would like to see the people on this site try to be more informed about OCD or take it off the site if thay cant. That's just my opinion dont attact me for have my opinion if you want to have a go at me use fact's not word's please. I'm just trying to get a little more the same understanding you show towards people with the same symptom's for symptom's you dont understand. If you can't be bothered trying to understand someone you dont have to attack them for it you just should ignore them and thay'll give up eventualy. Some one cant argu if thay have have no one to argu with.

kate
14-11-05, 21:51
I don't know of the reasons why you think people are less tolerant towards those here that suffer from OCD. I have never found anyone here that discriminates against any particular form of mental illness. We may not all suffer the same symptoms, we may not all suffer in the same way, but I have never seen any evidence of people treating OCD sufferers with anything but sympathy.

OCD IS a form of anxiety, as is agorophobia, panic attacks etc. This site deals with anxiety in general and aims to cover the whole spectrum of disorders.

I found your post quite offensive to the good people here who give of their time freely to help others.

Kate

mum2four
14-11-05, 23:54
In the 2 months I have been here I found the site usefull ad helpful. Dont get me wrong I think most people are trying hard to be nice but there a fue have made me feel like I no longer belong here.

In the 2 month I have been here peopel have helped me deal with anxiety but i have also noticed and change in people behaviour toward's me since focusing on the idea that i may not just have anxiety but that OCD may be real underlying condition. I started to feel ignored by people I pushed the fear away for as long as I could.

There was new person here not long after I started here and he got off on the wrong foot with people and fue people tred to get him to start over and convince him to go about getting help the right way. Most of the people just full on abused him with out asking to try to explain or refrase his word's or go about in the right way ect. basicly gave no constuctive advice at all. I find that very disheartening for people to do that to a person with anxiety.

Not long after that there was anther person who cam in to chat and people began to get off side with him as well and scared him off with out trying to give him con structive advice either.

Then there was hurtsomuch who cam in looking for help in chat and and soon as the people heard that he was a not just self halmer but he would get girls to punish him with pain instead of doing it him self thay ganged up on him as wella dn scared him off . He was a nice person looking far safe place to talk to people about his anxiety. Everyone talked behind his back and bullied him scafred him off as well.

Then there was the star issues she got affended by sex comment stated her opinion and got ambused by bunch of abusive unconstructive people. Yes I agree star fought back hard but people with OCD tend to do that. That fight fire with fire and so do anxiety people. The point is I have my prove about what i said about people with OCD and not OCD alone being treated unfairly here.

Then there was guy who came in claimibg to be a famus WWW wrestler and I was talking to him for hour about anxiety ect and my self and I dislike WWW westling and he did not once try to make me talk about it I did not care if who he was just what he had to say. Once people heard who he said he was thay ambushed him aswell and he never came back either.

The star thing was the last straw for me I could no longer sit back and wait for people to start on some one els.

Please I mean no disrepect to the most people hear trying to get heap and help other but for the people who know thay were in on all the above on even just one of them learn to repect people right to be treated fair and justly if thay lie so be it what do it hurt you. If thay make a comment that affends you say "please dont talk about with me around go in to privat talk please" what eva it is that bugs you about a person have the respect to say it nicly and to there face dont go behind there back a winge about it. If thay brake a rule tell them thay did so and if thay do it again tell them you plan to inform the site. but dont abuse them and make it worse for heavens sake where dose that get anyone the last week has proven that on this site.

Back of

be honerst

be repectfull

do on to other and you want done to you.

No bitch fighting which is what is amouts to at the moment.

thank you

kate
15-11-05, 07:14
I don't really think your reply has justified your comments in your first posting.

I really believe, 100%, that no one would discriminate against you merely due to the fact that you believe you have OCD, I just do not believe that would happen.

I have got very strange fears myself, which I "came out" about a while ago both on the forum and in the chat room. I'm sure that the majority of people here cannot begin to understand the full extent of my problems, as I can't imagine totally the torment they are going through. But, I have only ever received support and sympathy from the people here.

We here are an over sensitive lot. Could it be that you are imagining that people are treating you differently due to your illness? I know that I myself can take things the wrong way, be miserable etc. It's part and parcel of the anxiety, unfortunately.

Lately there has been a general bad atmosphere in chat but most people only go there for support and also to support others. Please give the genuine people here a chance.

Kate

trac67
15-11-05, 16:01
Mum,

Why are you bringing up the subject of Star yet again, I think the subject needs to be closed now.

To be honest this forum doesn't really specialize with the OCD issues, there are sites that are there for that, maybe they would be of more help to you and star.

Also with hurtsomuch I am afraid that you do need to get the facts right first, I met him the very first day he went into the chatroom, and helped him from them on, not on the forum, but on MSN, yes maybe some people found it hard to deal with what happened to him, but no body ever was mean to him or disrespectful to him.

Also the comments about talking behind peoples backs in chat, I think you should look back very carefuly, as I think you are actually guilty of doing that yourself.

I think mum that you should now let the subject be put to rest instead of bringing it up over and over again.

Traceyxx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

bluesparkle
15-11-05, 17:05
hi
i have read this post a couple of times gone to post and then backed off...
but i just want to say that i have ocd... and from when i first came here about 18months ago now i introduced myself as having ocd and anxiety/panic and i have recived nothing but support... everyone has been great... i have changed so much from how i was i never thought i would get this far and i know i wouldnt have without the suppport from here... i have been honest and open when i have posted and asked for help about the oddest of things but they were real to me and my ocd and i have only ever had good/helpful replies no one has laughed at me(which i thought they might) or excluded me in anyway.
i like to go in chat and i often just sit and listen(watch) as i feel i need the company but i do join in when i have something to say.
i think nic...meg.. and everyone else do a wonderful job and i can never thank them enough for this site... but i think it would be so sad if the chat got shut down as i know when i was desperate i spent an awful lot of hours in there...
i know i have gone off the thread a bit but we should be here to support each other... and not cause hassle and upset for people and more work for nic etc... they dont need it!