PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had post-holiday relapses?

sedalia
24-11-09, 16:01
I am so fed up and disappointed. I recently had a lovely relaxing week away, I could walk round the town and go into shops alone, something which I've not been able to do since my first panic attack in june. The week I got back, I went into town on my own everyday for 5 days and really thought I was well on the way to recovery, but this week, for no reason, all the light headedness and associated anxiety has returned and now I can barely walk round the block with the dog. Has anyone else felt worse after having such a relaxing holiday? I know everyone tells me to concentrate on what I achieved, and that I'll be able to do it again one day, but it doesn't feel like it at the mo. This setback has knocked me for six. Is this how it'll always be- just as you think you're getting better, you have a setbeck which puts you back at square one again?

labamba
24-11-09, 18:31
I have had a setback before I went abroad for a week had a great time but was really stressed about flight home that I barely slept so has left me anxious about going away again and have as of yet not been anywhere. So like you we can get setbacks but hopefully we will both get over again. I call them a little blip or hiccup on the way to recovery. Don't beat yourself up about.

:hugs:

sedalia
25-11-09, 08:13
Thank you labamba. Do you find that when you've been doing well, but then had a setback, everyone expects you to get over it a lot quicker. People say "You were fine on holiday, you just need to be like that again" but they don't understand how difficult it is. It's not a matter of just saying " I'm going to be fine again today" and then being fine. When you've done so well, it makes the setback even harder, and more frustrating because people tend to think you've let yourself go back to being ill again.

BabyRachel
25-11-09, 10:55
Ive had set backs after holidays and good experiences. Ive also had what you described, you do well for a while then out of the blue for no apparant reason your back in an anxious panic! Your not alone, and it is hard for other people to understand..

flymo9
25-11-09, 16:13
I can really sympathise with you Sedalia, as for some reason everytime i go away for a week or so, when i come back it seems to knock me for six and i struggle with everything......I dont know if its fear of coming back to my normal day to day life of anx and depression or what but i seem to plummet when i come home again.....I went away for over a week in july and to be honest iv been a mess since getting more and more depressed and unable to manage at home and outside home. though i have had alot of things happen since then which have added to my anx and depression and panics...and with christmas coming up Im feeling even more anxious.......I often dread going away anywhere for few days even though i enjoy it when im away, the build up of trying to organise and pack gets me in a state which often makes me avoid going places.....then if do go away have a great time....then coming home im full of dread and cant seem to function....its a vicious circle......so i fully understand how u feel, i guess we just have to keep trying to fight the anx and panics, its all we can do. hugs to you and hope things get better for you soon xx

xBettyBoopx
25-11-09, 22:34
What is a holiday?

looking4answers
26-11-09, 02:20
Absolutely .. I get them every year at the holidays but then again I get them every so often during the year so not much difference..Michael