PDA

View Full Version : Mental Health services

ladybird64
24-11-09, 18:44
I would like to know what people think of their experiences with Mental health services, whether it was good or bad or indifferent.

I do know it is a very general question but just trying to gauge some idea about how things are for service users.

Thanks

candee86
24-11-09, 19:10
I have had really good experiences with the Mental Health Service...except for the wait haha the people are lovely hehe!

GPs are a different matter hehe

Candy xx

nutteetart
24-11-09, 19:14
Hi there,

my gp is wonderful. He spends a lot of time with me but he is frustrated at the lack of help he gets from the local hospital. We have very little help. I was referred urgently to the hospital team 18 weeks ago and i still havent been seen.

10 yrs ago i suffered with this and there was a day hospital facility then but now there is very little help.

I have just enlisted the help of my local MP and when i am well i will be on a crusade to make things better for people like us. X

lc2613
25-11-09, 00:15
i was worried how involved they would be, but i have to say they sent me an appointment i couldn't make it cause of the agro and where it was so they rearanged a home visit and gave me a worker for if i needed to talk or was having a bad day i felt like a bit of a fruit loop but was impressed at how much they do for you. i just hope they see me as a normal person with a fear as i was worried they would question my ability to be a parent, as i may have problems but at home am still me if that makes sense! but i will let you know how i get on with them and get back to you. xx

claire m
25-11-09, 13:15
really good i was referred again in august and was seen within 10 days. the cpn i have is fantastic and i feel very at ease with him.
he allows me to email him which is good for me much easier than phone conversations.
My gp has been amazing and with out him my life would be very different for me he has gone beyond the call of duty.
I live in cumbria.

BBmama
25-11-09, 22:11
Pretty poor diagnosed as severely depressed beginning this year,but have been bad really since 2006.I was offered 16 wks psychotherapy.Which ended in July.I also asked for a referral for cbt-i would NOT have been offered this.The referral was made in feb 09.I just had the assessment oct 09,diagnosed with depression and social anxiety,and told 9month wait for treatment....

looking4answers
26-11-09, 05:07
Back in my twenties had some contact with mental health services..It was one of the better experiences with any health professionals.. helped me a lot. Michael

claire m
26-11-09, 11:23
it might be interesting to see where about people are in the uk and abroad to see how experiences differ.

Jill-Louise
26-11-09, 13:09
I live in Oxfordshire and began being seen by the Mental Health Team almost a year ago. I have severe depression and am still on meds and still seeing a counsellor. My treatment has been really good and the GP that was seeing me was fantastic. Unfortunately she left the practice but my GP now is also very good. I have seen the psychiatrist a few times but have contact details for my CPN if i need her in a hurry...other than my monthly visit. I went to a 12 week CBT course and i'm not sure it was particularly useful but we all enjoyed knowing that we would be seeing each other at a certain time every week. It gives you something to get out of bed for ! :)

ladybird64
26-11-09, 21:36
I just wanted to say a quick "thanks" to everyone who has posted, I appreciate it.

looking4answers
26-11-09, 23:06
:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bigh ug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:: bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighu g1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

BasilCat
03-12-09, 19:01
I had to wait 18 months from when I first had the breakdown 3.5 years ago, to getting an appointment with a recently qualified Psychologist. When it came to it, I knew more about anxiety than she did and she was learning from me!! I saw her 3 or 4 times then I went to a n anxiety management course about 8 or 9 months later. Thats all the support I had from the local Psychological services. The course lasted for 7 weeks, once a week, 6pm till 8pm. It was only short really but the staff who presented the course and the course its self was really good.

Shirley
x x x