PDA

View Full Version : Just thought I'd say hello.......

wavey
14-11-05, 19:59
HELLO.

It's good to finally find a place where others might understand what I'm going through.
I'm hoping this site will help me get over my anxiety attacks.

A very, very quick history - I've had anxiety attacks since I can remember. I've managed to "recover" a few times. However, I never seem to be able to shake the attacks off completely although I've tried lot's of different "cures". It seems quite a tiring and lonely battle sometimes which is why I am pleased to have found a place where I can share my thoughts. I'd also be happy to offer advice to anyone who's been through, or going through the same experience.

thanks
Davey

Meg
14-11-05, 20:40
Hello Davey and welcome

What sort of things start you off again and what sort of cures have you tried ?

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/symptoms.htm

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

clickaway
14-11-05, 21:15
Welcome Davey,

Just because things haven't worked fully in the past, doesn't mean there will not be a successful outcome.

Good to see you here,

Cheers,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

trac67
14-11-05, 21:40
Hi Davey,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice and make some great friends here.

Remember to stay positive it really helps hun.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

vernon
14-11-05, 21:40
Hi davey and wolcome to the site. Vernon

seh1980
14-11-05, 21:56
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

pinkscrumpy
14-11-05, 22:24
Hi Davey

Welcome to the site

[^][^]

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

jill
14-11-05, 22:42
Hi Davey

WELCOME TO THE SITE

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

wavey
15-11-05, 00:29
Thanks for all your greetings - hopefully I'll get to know everyone in time.

Meg asked what cures have I tried for my anxiety?

The first cure I tried (when I didn't know what was causing the panic) was hypnotism - useless and I actually had a panic attack while I was being "hypnotised"!!

I eventually went to the doctor who put me on medication. I insisted that he send me to a phsychiatrist because I didn't believe he knew what the problem was. Eventually it was established that I was having anxiety attacks. The medication was ok but I think the fact I'd discovered what the actual problem was helped more.

Since then, I have been to a phsychologist. He didn't really help with my panic attacks although it was good to talk to someone about it.

At the end of it all, I have to say that the doctor that I didn't believe has actually helped me the most! I remember the perscrition he gave me said "agrophobia", which in hindsight, was probably quite close to what I had at the time. But best of all, he recommended books by Claire Weeks. These have been amazingly helpful for me. Anyone who suffers from a nervous disorder should read them.

It has been a long journey - I think I remember having my first panic attack when I was about 11, but I can sometimes see a light at the end of the tunnel which helps me fight on. I personally believe that with most anxiety - knowledge is power. By that I mean, once you know what is going on in your body, you can start to understand it and overcome it. The hardest part is when an attack comes out of nowhere. Sometimes I have been able to let the panic pass by drawing on knowledge I have gained, but other times I get caught in the "what if" spiral.

My best advice is never to add fuel to the anxiety by starting the "what ifs" (what if this gets worse, what if I collapse, what if I never get better etc, etc, - everyone has their own version). Let the feelings pass and don't give them the time of day! (I wish this was as easy to do as it is to write!)

thanks again for your hellos
cheers,
Davey

trac67
15-11-05, 00:59
Hi Davey,

From your post you sound very positive and have the right attitude to deal with this anxiety rubbish.

I agree with you 100% about the what if's, my whole life used to be one big what if, until I started to focus on the other things around me and became a lot more positive.

It is such a hard battle to fight, and to win, but I truely believe that it has made me a much stronger person by dealing with it.

feel free to pm me if you ever need a chat,

Take care
Trac XX

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

chucklehound
15-11-05, 07:56
Hi Davey and welcome to NMP where you will get lots of support and make some great friends too!:D

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

mazz
15-11-05, 09:01
hi davey welcome to this great site ,,,,mazzxx

kazo
15-11-05, 09:05
hi davey

Welcome to the site

Hope to see you in chat sometime

Kazo xxx

Meg
15-11-05, 13:09
Davey,

Glad to read that post. We are Claire Weekes fans here already

You are well on your way to getting over it fully, so sounds like you need to practice and gain more confidence in what you already know to be the solution as well as identifying your triggers and getting coping strategies in place so you are less likely to have one out of the blue.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

nomorepanic
15-11-05, 14:46
Hi Davey

A warm welcome aboard.

You may find that just talking to others on here will help you get over those final blips that you have.

Thanks for the update on things that you have tried etc.

Nicola