PDA

View Full Version : swollen lymph node, dizziness, chronic cough

valley
25-11-09, 00:45
Hi all,

I am posting because I am very very frightened right now and in the midst of another health scare. I got a bad case of the flu about 6 weeks ago and ever since have been left with a lingering cough that is not going away. I have also noticed dizziness/lightheadedness a bit. I finally went to the doc today to get the lingering cough checked out. She felt my lymph nodes in my neck and got a kind of concerned look on her face (maybe I just freaked out about it more than I should have?) Anyways, she said she's not too concerned yet but wants me to take an antibiotic and come back in a week. She said she'll check the lymph node in a week and if the swelling hasn't gone down she's going to run a blood test and a CT scan of my neck. Of course, I am thinking the WORST (cancer). She knows my history with health anxiety and tried to convince me that I shouldn't worry and that if she thought it was anything serious and immediate she would order the tests right away. But, she said that she does want to see me in a week because the lymph node is a bit larger than what is even considered normal from an infection/cold/etc. I am absolutely freaking out thinking the worst. I was almost able to hold myself back from googling but couldn't help it. I typed in swollen lymph node, dizziness, and chronic cough and all the results were cancer. How am I ever going to get though the next week of "waiting?"
My husband tells me I am being irrational and latching on to the worst, and whats the point of worrying right now since my doc isn't too concerned yet. However, this was definitely a different reaction than what she normally does. She knows my history and usually spends much more time telling me why she doesn't think I have the "disease-of-the-week" , and this was just her kind of being hurried, telling me not to worry yet, and she'll see me in a week. She also spent about 2 minutes feeling my lymph nodes, usually its just a quick thing. What worries me most is the look on her face when she was feeling the lymph nodes - not just the normal doctor "business as usual". Am I thinking way too much into this? Am I reading into signs that weren't there? I am getting myself so worked up. Also the cough thats not going away and slight dizziness/lightheadedness isn't helping me either, usually I dont have a cough that lasts this long....
Please help :weep::unsure::scared15:

valley
25-11-09, 03:53
bump :)