PDA

View Full Version : Sore Thoat - complications? Help!

Chrissie21
25-11-09, 12:09
HI,

Please help someone! I have had swine flu and an extremely sore sore throat for a week. It is finally getting a little better but I now have horrible phlem constantly sliding down my throat behind my nose. I have got in a right state because i read an artical about complication of sore throats and breathing problems which can cause a medical emergency - i have now been hypoventilating for 3 days none stop. constantly swallowing and checking my throat monitoring every breath to see if there is a problem.

I have eaten nothing but complan and water for 4 days now. cannot stand this constant high state of anxiety. !

any words of reassurance please

Help someone!

Thank you !

RosieXXX
25-11-09, 13:09
Hello Chrissie,

The good news is your sore throat is finally beginning to feel a little better, so it sounds like the infection is on the mend, and isn't going to cause any horrible complication, and your symptoms will slowly improve as you recover. I am sure the phlem is just all to do with the virus you have had and is to be expected. I can imagine it isn't a very nice feeling; these sensations are always heightened with anxiety. Hope you will be feeling better soon. xx

Mikke
25-11-09, 20:13
I have had terrible week as well.
It started out with difficulties breathing, I had to sit in special positions to be able to breath freely.

I have had panics attack for 15 years, so everyone told me it was just anxiety, but I actuall caught the virus and it will often produce difficulties breathing as it attakcs the lungs (as every flu do).

However - remember this - just like me you are probably very scared about this, and it makes everything worse. For the most part, this is dangerous for people with other health problems, it is not of concern to otherwise healthy people.

I found that by using nasal spray for colds, it was a bit easier to breath (but don't overdo this, as these sprays are stimulants that can trigger your anxiety if you use to much).

I have stopped reading the newspapers as well. The media is blowing this out of proportions. Thousands and thousands of people die every year from the normal flu - this swine flu is actually a very mild/moderate virus.