PDA

View Full Version : If you know what triggers your panic attacks, how do you stop them?

NervousNellie
25-11-09, 17:23
Hi All!

I was hoping that somebody could help me with this. I have always heard that one of the ways to stop panic attacks is to figure out what your triggers are. Well, my trigger is anything that has to do with health: doctor appointments, tv shows, newspaper articles, etc. I am currently 10 weeks pregnant, so I have to visit my doctor regularly. I was very impressed with myself during my doctor visit last week. I always panic when I have my blood pressure taken, but even through my panic last week, my bp was normal. I have to work on my pulse though, because that was racing. I feel like if I could just relax and not worry, everything would be fine and I wouldn't have to worry about my blood pressure and pulse! But I can't help but panic!!

My question is.....if I know that going to a doctor's appointment will cause me to have a panic attack, how do I stop it from happening? I've tried distraction and breathing, but that doesn't seem to work. Does anybody have any advice for me on how to overcome this? Thanks!

ian1
25-11-09, 22:28
I find that just going with the anxiety helps. Just allow it to happen, observe it but don't react to it. Removing the fear of it reduces the chance of anxiety turning into full blown panic.

Sometimes I'll even say to myself "Bring it on" and invite the panic to happen. The fact that I don't even care if it happens then means that it doesn't happen.

I hope I am explaining myself ok, it's not always easy to put techniques into words, but if you have any questions, please just ask.

looking4answers
26-11-09, 03:01
A million and one triggers..So far been able to calm down by trying to relax..Last and only super major one in the doctors office it took me over three hours after I left to get over it and on top of that it killed my sex life.Slowly trying to get over that one. Michael