PDA

View Full Version : Snow

RobertFlyde
28-01-04, 09:57
Just a quick message to see what the weather is like in your area. I live north of Leeds in a place called Guiseley and it's snowed quite alot over night and the roads are bad etc.... The sky looks like more on the way, my local train station was more busy @ 7.30am this morning, usually only handful of people about going into Leeds, Luckily i go the other way on the train to ILkley (where Alan Titchmarsh is From!!!) and it was quiet.........

Hope the snow stays off t'mora as ive got a new tele being delivered and i live up a big hill..... fingers crossed.....

Hope you all got to work etc safely.......

Take Care

Robert Flyde

Matt
28-01-04, 10:01
There was a dusting the cars but nothing on the ground down here in 'ampshire hehe

Lottie32
28-01-04, 10:20
I'm at the bottom of the Peak District, and there is enough for the two stupid women in front of me to get stuck going up our lane.

On the way to work, the snow had compacted down ON TOP of the grit, which led to some interesting driving.

Unluckily, there is not enough for a moon light sledge tonight! Although, it looks suspiciously like there is more coming in from the west. And Dawns hubby has just phoned (he is on his way to Wales) to say its bucketing down in Stoke.

Charlie

Laurie28
28-01-04, 14:32
In bonnie Scotland (or my part anyway) it is bright sunshine (although there was a sprinking of snow earlier)

Lucky

benoo5
28-01-04, 17:45
there was a light sprinkling in south london,over night,but freezing cold,so the roads were a litle dodgy early this morning...here ends the verdict of the london panel,back to the studio....bryan.

Buby
28-01-04, 18:35
hi.

its been basically a blizard here in rainy old Harlow. an inch in just 1/2 an hour and an inch in an hour and a 1/2 last night around half 12. there is more to come you can tell by the sky and it looks all purple out too...funny. anyway ill post soon if we get any more.

warm hugs Rachel xx

benoo5
28-01-04, 18:46
oh my god,i spoke too soon...thunder,and lightning,has just made me look out of the window,and were having the worst snow fall for years.

to make it worse,i really fancy cod and chips,and nothing,absolutely nothing,is going to stop me lol.

best wishes..bryan.

Buby
28-01-04, 18:57
it will stop you if you fall over bry and cant get back up. and what if the shop is closed...are you going in the car cause then you wont get blown over...just thought of it..like i do.

it was raining and hailing and snowing at the same time at first but now its just snowing....heavily.

hugs

Samantha
28-01-04, 19:11
Hi everyone we had 2cm here today can you believe the whole county ends up in turmoil over snow!
Wouldnt have been so bad but it took me mum an hour to get to us and 40mins to get back home loo,,,at least school might be closed tomorrow
Sam

sarah
28-01-04, 19:33
Hi peeps

I just had to run a mercy mission for a friend and I agreed to help him when he rang. Imagine the shock when I discovered my car had been stolen...no hold on its burried under SNOW!!!!!Ive been hiding indoors felling naff today so i didnt realise...lol.
Anyway, the point of the story....I would highly recommend going to your supermarket now...ive just popped into mine for a packet of ciggies and it was completely empty!!! No shoppers, i think they are all in hiding.

love Sarah
xx

pauline
28-01-04, 20:21
Hi Sarah

There all in hiding with me hate the snow hate hate hate did you get that i hate it:D

Take care
pauline

pjpriest

nomorepanic
28-01-04, 21:34
Just to let you know that Matt is still not home. He lives 8 miles from work and has now been going 2 hours 45 mins!!

As for me - I will post later - lol.

Nicola

kate
28-01-04, 22:19
We had snow here in Brum but that has mostly gone now.

It has now turned to glass like ice. The local radio station said that the centre of Brum is gridlocked and people are reported to have been sitting in traffic for over 3 hours!!!

Personally, I would have had such a panic I would have abandoned my car and walked!!!!

Kate x

Matt
28-01-04, 22:33
Grrrrrrr stress!!! I should have kept me gob shut!!!

3 and a half hours to go 8 miles!!! Car now smells of burning clutch!! hehe

Even my emergency panic rations were out of date!!![:o]

mmm it wasnt snowing then suddenly a loud bang of thunder and lightening and it started! I legged it out of work and the rest is history!! haha

Still I didnt panic!:D Just spent 20 quid on phone bills phoning people to take my mind off it!! haha

Matt

nomorepanic
28-01-04, 22:56
Well done Matt

My drive started off panicky and I feared a repercusssion of last year and all the panic I had. It was very scary and took me 2.5 hours to get home but I did it.

I took some rescue remedy and that seemed to help and stopped a full blown panic attack coming on so I was very pleased.

My car is cr@p in this weather and that scared me more than the snow - lol.

When I got back to my road I couldn't get up the very small incline but some teenage lads pushed me - bless them.

Glad to be home safe and sound. Felt a bit drained and got a headache but hey we did it didn't we?

Kate - I thought about leaving the car but then how could I get home - lol. That was a worse thought!

Hope the rest of you got home safe and sound too.

Thanks to Meg and Matt for the calls and text's and to Alex (my other half) who called me every 10 minutes to see if I was ok.

Matt - all I have to do now is pay the phone bill too!!

Nicola

benoo5
28-01-04, 23:44
well,charlie,is going to love this...as she has already called my labrador munch,a wimp(legal proceedings pending)...well,ive just taken her,for her late nite pee,which normally takes about twenty mins..she stepped out into the snow...went five yards to the nearest tree,and decided,enough was enough,and raced back indoors..who am i to argue,with an intelligent dog lol.....bryan.

Meg
28-01-04, 23:52
I had to go from Notts to Bracknell today. Got there beautifully - lovely sunny drive. On way home Sally traffic was starting to say this closed, that closed . Still fine, then at J 9 of M40 the heavens opened and blizzard conditions started. These continued to Coventry when the sun now dusk came out again. It was not fun at all.

It was then a very slow crawl all the way home with a wait at Leicester for my partner who was coming aother way but was quite close, so I sat in the carpark and watched and helped completely unprepared ****s.

My favorites include the bloke who resorted to pouring his tea flask onto the windscreen, and the girl in 4 inch tarts trotters, who hadn't even brought a coat in her car and the 4WD idiot who insisted on ducking and diving in and out of lanes when visibility was virtually nil, the girl who was so frightened she parked horisontally , and went off from a halt with amazing skid and whirring.
The blokes who went to have a drink and couldn't get back into their car as by now it was -4 and they hadn't seen to their doors first....

Think the mineral water companies did really well as the services had sold out of screenwash ages beforehand. I dished out loads from my several litre stash with a safety lecture, plus pins to deblock the little holes. I knew the Poppy day pins would come in useful one day !!

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
29-01-04, 00:08
quote:Originally posted by Radar

My favorites include the bloke who resorted to pouring his tea flask onto the windscreen

Meg

Glad to see you are home safe and sound too :)

This made me laugh cos I took my water bottle today so I could put some "Rescue Remedy" in it if I needed it. Well I was driving down the A1 at 7.30 this morning and the window was filthy dirty and the washer thingys were blocked (frozen) and I couldn't see out. I was sat there squirting the water out of the window onto the windscreen to clear it - what a sight eh? It worked though.

So you saved the day for a lot of people then? That is typical of you - you are such an organised and caring person and I bet they thanked you for it. :D

Can I ask a question? Did you get panicky atall or were you just one of those drivers that sat there patiently waiting to get home and swearing but only cos they were late for dinner and not cos they were freaking out in a traffic jam?

Nicola

Meg
29-01-04, 00:31
No, I didn't get panicky and didn't think of, or need my bag of Bach remedies.

Equally I didn't relish the thought of getting stuck for many hours stationary with no idea of how long it would be, but I knew I was probably better prepared than most and was quite ready to chat up some nice lorry driver who had run out of rations and exchange Yorkies (Ok fruit and nut mix) for some CB radio time, wireless internet access and central heating. I'm a great believer in making friends early on in a situation.

I once got stuck on M1 for 4 hours but had just been to M+S, we had a great street party and a couple of subsequent dates. Dave the wheelie bin rep was fun and some commercial heating chap - not so fun..

We had 2 of our girls stuck in M11 fiasco last year for 20 hours ! I don't know how I would cope with that.

I felt totally great once I knew that it wasn't a closed road but just 2 miles an hour which was fine for the next few hours.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Matt
29-01-04, 11:39
:D I was eating my emergency supplies... hehe Just stocked up on food now!!!

Came along the same road this morning and there was a BMW on its roof in the hedge[:o]

Samantha
29-01-04, 11:48
Congratulations on not panicking everyone!
Meg - sounds like your preperation helped a lot of ppl!
Do you all still have to go to work today? My schools closed so i think i might do the kid thing and play in the snow...lol after i do my coursework, tidy my room,and make some soup!
Sam
:D

Matt
29-01-04, 11:52
I still have to be at work:( boohoo!!!

Get out in that snow and have fun before it all dissapears!!:D

kate
29-01-04, 12:05
Hi all,

I'm SO glad that I am a dinner lady, all schools in Brum are closed today so I got a day off!!!!

Kate x

nomorepanic
29-01-04, 13:56
I am working at home today!

I am going out in the car soon cos Alex wants to show me how to drive it in this weather - lol. Let's hope we don't get stuck.

Nicola

Matt
29-01-04, 14:32
plenty of high gears going up low gears going down and nips of the handbrake to get round bends! :D you will love it nic!:D

Lottie32
29-01-04, 15:34
Well the snow cleared around lunch time.

And was replaced by 2" black ice. There were no patches in it. I made it home from my friends (not passing the gym), and left my car at the top of our lane. Only people with company cars were risking it. Slid home with work bag, gym bag, and two sainsbos carriers. Would probably have been easier to have sat on my rucksack and sledged home!

Got in and received a call from Judy, telling me not to bother going up to do the horses - road impassable due to ice unles in 4WD, and not safe to walk up in dark (unlit country lane), as cars, a lorry and a bus were all stuck trying to get up/down the hill. There are no pavements, and she had visions of me getting squished.

Realised with great pride that I had driven home, and NOT PANICKED. Yeah. About 30 minutes later, realised that I was now panicking cos I couldnt go out that evening, certainly wasn't going out in the car, and hadnt got the horses to do to kill time.

Stupid woman! Today is worse. I am going to request a refund on my council tax, as all the grit bins have been removed, are empty, and not seen sight nor sight of a gritting lorry for four days now.

Glad everybody home safe and sound.

Charlie

Matt
29-01-04, 15:44
yeah why have the grit bins been removed??? Its rubbish if they had bin there

a. I would have been home earlier as we would have salted the huge hill we couldnt get off and
b. I would be able to get me car off the drive and not have to get a lift into work!!!

Grrr

Lottie32
29-01-04, 15:48
Matt

Not sure - the more we seem to pay to our poxy county council, the more they remove. The municipal tip is going too - and now they are spending a fortune cleaning the lanes up where everybody is fly tipping.

Total load of t**ts. But thats govenment for you.

We had a protest, and they have bought back one grit bin. Obviously, it stays full for about 5 minutes when the weather is like this, cos people come from far and wide to use the grit.

Charlie

Matt
29-01-04, 15:52
I dont see why they remove them in the first place do you charlie??

Is it down to them being too expensive to maintain??[:o] I cant really see how they are unless people nick the stuff and use it for errrrm errr shock horror gritting the road??[:o]

I'm off to jewsons to see if I can buy some!:D might keep it in the boot lol

kate
29-01-04, 16:47
The roads round here are very steep and we live right on the top of one!

All our grit bins have also disappeared and the road is just like glass today.

Luckily, the council shut all the schools today so I didn't go out, but there is no way I would have attempted to drive down the hill, anyway!

Well, they must have saved money today by not having to heat all the schools. So, just a suggestion, how about spending the saving on grit bins for the next freezing conditions?

Kate x

RobertFlyde
29-01-04, 16:50
We have a grit bin on our estate to cover lots of roads etc..... but people abuse it and use it for there houses drives etc instaed of chucking some on a hill or brow of a hill etc... i had a look in the grit bin this morning and what a suprise NO GRIT!!!!! But all the houses near the grit bin were clear of snow etc, gritters dont come up our road, so ive left the car at home for 2 days and walked to the train station.....

Take Care

Robert Flyde

Lottie32
29-01-04, 17:13
we are really economic with our grit - we use it to throw on the road when there is ice and snow. Nobody abuses ours, but it still doesn't get filled very often!

I tried to walk to the pub last night, and ended up spending all night picking bramble thorns out of my fingers.

The pavement was lethal. I took one step forward and slid back three (managed not to fall though!). I'd nearly made the top, when I started sliding back down at a rate of knots. I grabbed the nearest bit of foliage to discover to my horror that it wasn't an elder bush, but the bramble patch! Still I managed not to fall! (Although my fingers seem to be going sceptic) LOL.

I walked the long way round to get to my car this morning, and it wasn't much better.

Isn't it pathetic how the tiniest bit of snow/ice brings the country to a stand still. And the authorities can't say they didn't know in enough time this time cos they've been warning us for weeks now.

Good job we only get snow infrequently!

Charlie

Samantha
29-01-04, 17:25
Hi everyone.
we still got snow and a grit bin, but i live in a really really really small village that no1s heard of so thats prob why!!!! Because we didnt get snow tuesday the council thought it was another false alarm an thought theyd save money by not gritting!!!
Still havent been in the snow gotta wait for me bro to get home, so not only do we have soup now but also cake and fudge ggrrrr!!!! Come On! I bet some of you are glad you dont have to do the driving! Nic i thought snow was the best excuse for not going out! Hope it goes alright!
Sam

RobertFlyde
29-01-04, 17:27
I have to laugh when it snows down south in particular London, because people cant cope etc..... being a northerner and living up in Leeds im used to it and getting on with it. and it's always headline news when it snows down south, but if we get any up north it's a little bit at the end of the report, the north south devide is still there unfortunatley, my girlfriend is from mitcham, surrey and she didnt believe that there was a north south devide etc untill she moved up to Leeds a year ago and she loves it up here!!!!!

Take Care

Robert Flyde

benoo5
29-01-04, 17:28
today,has been the busiest shift,that ive had all year...it was really upsetting,that so many elderly people felt it necessary to go to the shops...wot is happening in london..that neighbours cant knock on elderly peoples doors,and ask if they need any shopping done..its a bloody disgrace...bryan.

nomorepanic
29-01-04, 22:45
I haven't even seen a grit bin anywhere near where I live!

Bryan - yes it is sad but in today's society no-one talks to their neighbours down the road - only those next door!

Nicola

benoo5
29-01-04, 23:02
thats true nic,

well,ime leaving london,end of march,and going to live in a small village,in lincolnshire..cant wait.

robert,i live just 3miles,from mitcham...small world matey...best wishes..bryan.

nomorepanic
29-01-04, 23:15
Bryan

You never said - where are you going?

Nicola

RobertFlyde
30-01-04, 08:53
Cant say i like mitcham very much, my girlfriends parents dont feel safe around there anymore and after living there for 20 years they are moving down to verwood in dorset. Dont blame them really..... Never realy liked going into London and being amonog the "rat Race". It was bad enough for me Living in Luton for 6 years, now theres an awful place!!!!

Take Care

Robert Flyde

Lottie32
30-01-04, 09:59
I always smile at old people, just cos it's friendly. I'm too old to look like a run likely to mug them teenager, but the number of them who literally s**t themselves and skuttle off when I do is incredible.

I blame the media. When I went to the gym last sunday it was snided out with kids! We would never have dreamed of going to the gym. That was for old people. There was only one member of staff on and she was tearing her hair out trying to keep tabs on them and run an induction at the same time. They weren't using the equipment properly, and two of them even went on the treadmill with no trainers on!

The media has created a world full of paeodophiles and granny mugging teenagers, which in reality doesn't exist. There are no more abductions than there were years ago. More children are at risk from injury or death from members of their own family unit.

If we all stopped being afraid of each other, and communicated more then maybe we would develop a nation of children, who were fitter, healthier, out in the summer climbing trees, instead of stuck infront of the tele demanding more X Box games, and old people who could ask their neighbours for help instead of freezing to death in front of a one bar electric fire, living off biscuits cos they daren't go out.

I know that their are some areas of the country that are not that safe - I once spent a year living in St Annes in Nottingham. Nice it was not. But the majority of the country is relatively crime free.

If people mixed more, then maybe the youngsters would gain respect for the elderly, and appreciate just what they have put into the country, and the oldies would stop being afraid to go out.

Lecture over!

Bryan - when are you moving? What part of Lincolnshire? It's a huge place - are you near me (the Notts side), or further into the county?

Charlie

kate
30-01-04, 11:35
Hiya Charlie,

I agree with everything you have said.

Although I worry excessively about violence, my kids do go out on their own.

Yesterday, because the schools here were closed, my daughter spent all day outside, with her mates, sledging up and down our hill.

They then went to the shops, on their own, and stayed out until well into the afternoon.

Ye, I do worry very much BUT she has to have a life as well.

They also walk to their Secondary school and, although both of them have had a few "set too's" with kids from another nearby senior school, they would never dream of getting me to take them in the car.

They enjoy walking with their mates, and really the risk to them is very small.

At the end of the day, even though I worry so much about them, they are entitled to have freedom to do things with their mates and to live their lives to the full.

Oh, by the way, I always smile at old people too!!!!!

Kate x

Lottie32
30-01-04, 13:28
Well done for you Kate

Not one single kid was out sledging yesterday. And we live at the top of some ace hills.

When we were younger my parents let us walk to the next village to go down "Thackers Wood", the ultimate sledging experience.

I'm fed up of going round to friends houses and their kids moaning that they are "bored".

One set (two boys) have a DVD, VCR, TV, hamster (x2), dart board, Playstation, Nintendo, and computer in their bedroom. They also have a new mountain bike each (I had my great aunt Dorothys sprayed green), golf clubs (full set), tennis rackets, skate boards, fishing rods, in line skates. They live 200 yards from the local rec (park). There are two fantastic areas on the door step for tree climbing and building dams (well we used to do it).

Everytime they go up, they are "bored". They only leave the house if pushed (literally), and are both getting picked on at school for being overweight. I know weight shouldn't be an issue, but I can't help thinking if they had less Fruit Winders, Crisps, Coke and Chocolate, and actually used the bike, skateboard, in line skates etc. once in a blue moon, they could at least improve their health, if not even loose a few pounds and avoid getting picked on.

I had a reasonable "middle class" upbringing, but the only toys we had were dolls, books, board games, a bike each, one skateboard, a rope swing, a train set and a bloody good imagination. Does this mean I had a deprived childhood? We made ramps for our bikes with bricks and pieces of wood, and tree houses and dens all over the place.

I tell you, if I have kids they WILL play outside, even if I have to lock them out!

Charlie

kate
30-01-04, 16:54
Charlie,

How true that kids these days expect to be entertained "on tap".

My sister and myself used to play for hours with our Pippa Dolls, a kind of smaller version of Barbie.

We made them swimming pools out of buckets and spent many a summer in the garden with them from morning to evening.

We also had bikes, roller skates, hobby horses (that my dad made us), a climbing frame and a swing.

That was about it. We were allowed to watch a very small amount of telly each day and very much encouraged to go and play outside.

Were we deprived? Not at all! We had good imaginations and put them to good use.

Oh, and we used to catch 2 buses to Senior school. My mom can't drive and I can't imagine her taking us to school even if she had driven.

So, yes, you have got to be aware of what can happen to kids, but realise how small the risk is, and let them enjoy their childhood.

Kate x

mico
30-01-04, 17:07
The world's a changing place Charlie, but I totally agree with you, It wasn't even that long ago that I was that age(well that's the way I like to think of it anyway) and it was completely different to what kids have now.

Kids these days DO have far too much chocolate, cakes, sweets, soft drinks, etc, etc, etc. 30 years from now I don't think there will be a slim person in the nation. When I was young I got a 10p mixup about once a week. Wow I sound old! Seroiusly though, I don't think its good to encourage kids to eat this stuff, it's a health risk, infact it's probably worse than smoking!

And as for playing outside, well it rarely happens anymore does it, they don't know what the're missing out on. Of course you could tell them that but they wouldn't listen would they.

mico

benoo5
30-01-04, 18:04
gosh charlie,

you really should be a journalist,your such a good narator,your words are not only truisms,but they are so interesting to read.

my childhood was spent on a small farm,up and out at 6am,no matter wot the weather,feed the chickens,and then the pigs,they were my morning chores...strip wash under the outside tap,cold of course,and then back indoors for breakfast..we were surrounded by woods,so most of my days were spent with my friends,exploring for pirates lol..picking apples,and nuts,and blackberries,climbing trees,and often falling..the evening entertainment was usually sitting around an open fire,making toast,roasting the days haul of chesnuts,chatting,and listening to gospel music,and welsh male voice choirs...sounds boring now..but i loved every minute of it.

nic,and charlie..ime moving to a small village a few miles inland from skegness.

best wishes..bryan.

nomorepanic
30-01-04, 21:26
quote:Originally posted by RobertFlyde

It was bad enough for me Living in Luton for 6 years, now theres an awful place!!!!

Robert
I work in Luton - where did you live? My mum lived in Limbury (is that how you spell it) for a while and I know some of it cos I lived in Flitwick for 13 years.

Nicola

nomorepanic
30-01-04, 21:31
quote:Originally posted by mico

When I was young I got a 10p mixup about once a week.

This made me smile cos my mum used to buy us a bag of mix-up sweets every Saturday night - we were lucky cos we had 20p's worth and they lasted all night didn't they? :)

Nicola

nomorepanic
30-01-04, 21:38
When I was a kid we used to go carol singing at Xmas and then go and knock on someone's door in the "old people's area" and give them a box of chocolates we had bought with the proceeds of our singing! God wasn't I such a cute kid eh?

We were always out playing in the evening and never had mobile phones to report back - we went home, said we were ok and then went out again!

We didn't have central heating so when we got home from school we made the coal fire up to get warm, hoovered the house, did the dusting and then made mum a cup of tea when she got in.

I don't think we had it hard but I do think kids today have it too easy.

Even when I was at Polytechnic, I didn't have a computer so all essays were written by hand. Oh and remember those days of books to do the research. No going to google and searching on the net.

Don't they have it easy now. You could rip off an essay from the net and the teacher would never know - lol.

But we were a great generation of kids weren't we?

Nicola

mico
30-01-04, 22:31
20p, You must have been posh Nic.:D No we had 20p mixups sometimes too, or sometimes we would get a 10p mixup and a 10p bag of sherbet. Maybe just a few penny chews though if you didn't have much money.

Those were the days...

Samantha
31-01-04, 16:17
I agree the media focuses far too much on negatives, nearly everyday this week there has been stories of murder, car crashes, and rape on the front page of our local newspaper, with all this going on its hard not to be afraid of the world outside your own door. Personally im terrified of going places on my own, even round town i look for people who could be stereotypically dangerous, groups of male youths, people walking behind, the person sitting on the nench. I love playing outside i could play for hours on my own, but i no longer feel safe to do so.
I live in a really remote village and yet i am terrified of leaving the kitchen to walk across to the wheely bin. Im terrified of going anywhere on my own at night even being in my own room when everyone else is asleep because it could be possible a burglar is there. I know a lot of these thoughts are irrational but the heavy media coverage on negative things intensifys these thoughts.
I would love it if things were how they use to be when it was ok for children to walk places on there own when they could stay out for hours without worrying, i would rather go for a bike ride or build a tree house than watch tv. I agree though kids do have it easy these days and so many dont respect older people.
Everyday i go to school i see kids swearing at each other cause they think it makes them seem 'hard' shouting at teachers, refusing to do work, fighting, where has the respect gone? If these are the kids of the future, where will the future be, and what will have come of the world?
Sam

nomorepanic
31-01-04, 18:19
I was at some shops in Luton the other day and some school lads saw one of their teachers (who it seems had left to have a baby - I know this cos I was eavesdropping).

As she walked off they shouted oh "Oi Miss xxxx, you silly fat b***h".

Nice eh? No respect for anyone any more is there?

Nicola

benoo5
31-01-04, 23:59
was on my usual train home,a few weeks back,and accross the carriage were a group of lads,average age 10/11..wont mention there colour,as that would be racist!!..one of the lads didnt know any words,that didnt start with the letter F...they were talking about a female neighbour of theirs...i couldnt believe my ears,when the mouthy one said..give her some skunk,and she goes all the way...i looked at him,and he stared me out,so,i looked away,this was my regular train..who knows,next time this KIDDY,could have come looking for me,with a knife.....bryan.

benoo5
03-02-04, 23:50
ive just come off the phone,to my family in the rhondda valley,in south wales...and there really scared,because the river banks have broke,and their slowly being surrounded by flood water...when it rains in wales,it really rains.....bryan.

Lottie32
04-02-04, 21:10
Bryan

Suggest they move house asap - preferably to the hills at the TOP of the Rhondda valley.

Just seen it on the news - and I'm sure that those sandbags are going to make a huge difference - not. Oh look, they've just been washed away.

Why is Britain so crap at handling weather? Particularly when it happens EVERY year?

Hope they all ok mate. Try not to worry too much

Love x

Charlie

benoo5
04-02-04, 22:06
their ok thanks charlie,

was worried early this am,as the phone line was down,but called my cousin,during a break today..he has cable..and although,the water got into the ground floor,it has stopped raining,and the forcast is no rain tomorrow,either...the chickens were put into the house lol,the pigs were put into the barn,at the top of a slope,and the sheep,only 14 of them,were put into a neighbours barn..so alls well..bryan.

nomorepanic
25-02-04, 23:24
Ok who let it snow again today!!!

2 hours to get work. ggrrrrr

I got a bit anxious cos I got stuck on the slip road off the A1 so couldn't go anywhere. So I dragged out the tried and trusted Moby track and sang away.

Seemed to work ok again.

Still a long drive to work though - fine coming back.

Can we please ban snow!!!

Nicola

sadie
25-02-04, 23:27
Nicola,

I dont think thats fair on Santa...he needs snow for his sleigh!! (heeeheee)

Well done for staying calm and getting to work eventually. We only had a little snow up here in Glasgow!!

Take care

sadie

nomorepanic
25-02-04, 23:31
Sadie

I will forego my xmas pressies to not have to drive in snow again!!

It was nowhere near as bad as before but still the whole country comes to a standstill!!

Don't we ever learn!

I am fine sadie - just wanted a moan and some sympathy - lol

Nicola

Meg
25-02-04, 23:51
I got stuck in the 12 mile tailback near Huntingdon/Cambridge today for almost 2 hours in all.

I wouldn't mind, but it was only just after lunch. I had got away early from Addenbrookes and was really pleased to be able to get home and planned to get ahead of myself for next week when Sally traffic said there was 1/2 mile slow traffic on the approach.

About 2 mins later I stopped, along with many others and that was it for ages.

Meg

sarah
26-02-04, 14:25
Just to make you feel better...Its lovely and sunny here!!!...lol

bluebird1
26-02-04, 15:10
its sunny here too Nicola and all the spring flowers are out, hopefully its sweeping its way towards you.............Bluebird 1 (lyn)

nomorepanic
26-02-04, 22:37
We still have snow on the ground but not the roads - but it is bitterly cold. I now have to walk from the airport carpark to the office and although the exercise is great - it is SO COLD!!! brrrr.

It also adds 10-15 minutes on to my journey each way every day so I am grumpy about that too cos it takes me an hour to get to work now! Great therapy though eh Meg?

Sorry to hear you got stuck in it too Meg - did you feed the 5000 again - lol?

Nicola

Rennie1989
26-02-04, 22:40
WE HAD SNOW TODAY

i didnt lay though, DOH!!!

jade