PDA

View Full Version : downward spiral

Historienne
26-11-09, 16:57
Hello everyone

Really worried... I just stupidly googled cos when I close my eyes I seem to sway quite alot back and forth... I remembered the neuro doing this test but it seems to have got loads worse the past couple of days... I think its called the romberg's test or something like that. I feel so up tight. I can't get over the fact that I really do think I have MS and it's just not shown up on the tests. It's driving me and my family mad. My left hand/ arm feels really odd too. Like stiff and slow to react... I keep having bladder infections, the shakes, blurred in one eye, dodgy hearing (high pitched noise in my ears), pins and needles, buzzingsensations, and very very dizzy when walking around or even just sat down I feel dizzy. It's literally always on my mind ( I know this will exaggerate any little symptom).... I feel I can't go back to the doc's cos if I mention MS again they'll get mad with me as he keeps telling me I don't have it, it sounds silly but I really do think that is what I have.

:unsure:

PanicOver!!
26-11-09, 17:23
Hi Hun

sorry you are feeling low
Anxiety causes dizzyness i just closed my eyes and i wobble and sway as well

please try not to worry x

Historienne
26-11-09, 17:38
I just want to cry..... I just seem to match all symptmos, even down to having frequent bladder infections

Thank you anyway

Lu
26-11-09, 17:41
Hello Historienne,
I just wanted to say i'm suffering with exactly the same symptoms and the same fears as you, i could have written your post.
I find it so hard to convince myself there's nothing wrong and literally my every waking thought is about how i'm feeling physically which I think just adds to the horrible vicious circle.
Sorry to not be of any help but i just wanted to say you're really not alone.
Take Care
*hugs*
Lu x

Historienne
26-11-09, 18:18
Thanks.. Even the bladder issues? I know i'm not imagining it, its literally daily.. Its like my bladder suddenly decides to stop emptying and then the residue is what is causing the cloudy/smelly urine. Sorry to be so descriptive! The right side of my neck is permemantly stiff, I get my words muddled up the list goes on! Also I read that anxiety symptoms seem to affect the left side and not so much the right! :-(

DeMac
26-11-09, 18:24
Seems like someone could have a bad case of vertigo - all the noises in ur ears can be linked to tintitis - the ears is what knocks us off balance. Meds can cause this too

I dont think dr google is the answer as its very misleading ends up pecking our heads with thoughts we didnt have to begin with. Go back and speak to ur doc thats the best advice I can give

Hope your feeling better soon

Historienne
26-11-09, 18:37
I'm not on meds.. But thank u. The docs don't want to know now

margaret jones
26-11-09, 18:46
Poor you you seem so upset and anxious i wish i could take your pain away i really dont know how to help you but the balance prob are typicall anxiety related i have them .

Take Care Margaret

Gazman
26-11-09, 19:19
Hi historienne, i have a massive fear of neuro diseases in general, i thought / still think at times i have MS too and i'm waiting to see a neuro in december.

My right arm / hand goes quite stiff too from using the laptop alot i think but i notice when i use my hands or any part of my body alot i twitch loads too.

I also have this funny feeling in my right hand and forearm at times and especially through my thumb and finger next to it, it's really hard to explain but it's basically somatization, the thing is (from what i have been told by 4 doctors) is that with MS you wont have funny feelings, it will be either pain or sharp pins and needles and or the affected limb would then go numb for a number of weeks.

Of course dizzyness is a sign of MS, BUT this is usually extreme dizzyness, like you can just about stand up but you'll walk into a wall or fall over.

My docs do not believe i have MS but some form of somatoform disorder (basically it's psychological with no organic cause, like anxiety) and i am going for an assessment for this in 4 weeks time.

I have had widespread pain for weeks, cramps, shakes all over, tremor in hands for the last 4 months, wide spread twitches, excercise intolerence, headaches, dizzyness that lasted for a month, i have poor eyesight in 1 eye anyway but it has gotten worse and i checked with an optician with this and they had a look and everything was fine and she said anxiety can be a big problem with eyesight apparently.

I also have dodgy hearing at times and hear a high pitched whistle too lol plus the buzzing sensations in certain parts of the body and i had pins and needles for weeks in my hands and forearms.

Although you are showing signs of MS, you have not had anything "go dead" or have been extremely dizzy so you cannot walk and as you have seen a neuro i too would say it is anxiety.

I hope this helps as i have been there / here for months with the constant dread of fearing i have MS.

You probably already know this but 9/10 people who have MS have relapsing remitting MS which means they suffer maybe 1 attack a year, possibly 2 and as long as they take medication / change diet, they can and do live a full and loong life and usually die of other things / natural causes and the life expectancy is almost the same as a person without MS.

Historienne
26-11-09, 19:41
Thank u. I know there are far worse things to have but u don't want to have ideally.. Its the standing with eyes closed and bladder probs that r my main worry cos they seem to be big indicators of a neuro prob. H've been permemantly numbish on my whole right hand side for about a yr now.. Sorry to hear you have been suffering too.

KK77
26-11-09, 20:22
I know it's difficult to trust doctors when you have all these symptoms that could be indicative of this or that disease, but we must remember that doctors spend a long time training and if they miss something that could be a serious disease/condition they will end up in trouble. I went through all this a couple of years ago and I know how frustrating and tiring it is but there comes a point when you say enough is enough and get on with life.

Doctors know that anxiety can cause a whole load of inexplicable physical symptoms but that shouldn't stop them from carrying out neurological tests. If your not happy with your doctor then maybe you should get a second opinion and go to another surgery. But if the neurologist was really concerned I'm sure they would have carried out an MRI?

Historienne
26-11-09, 20:38
I had an mri and it was negative. I took some consolation from this but then read that lesions wouldn't show up after only the 1st relapse! Does anyone else sway when they stand one foot infront of the other with eyes shut..? Sorry to be like this.

Lu
27-11-09, 00:59
Hey Historienne, Sorry for the late reply.

I'm unsteady constantly, I sway all over the place and really look like I've been on the gin a lot of the time!!! :blush:
I know how hard it is to function with these feelings. I sway backwards too when I close my eyes. I also had an mri that didn't show anything, but as the symptoms continue it's so difficult to be reassured and you feel like you're constantly trying to find answers.
I have a terrible neck too and head jolts etc, always on the right side, are you right handed? My gp and my chiropractor both explained that these things sometimes tend to gravitate to your dominant side.

As for the bladder problems I was actually referred to a urogynaeologist by my doctor after having ongoing bladder frequency and spasms etc, I saw them a few weeks ago and they did a scan that showed my bladder wasn't emptying properly.
The nurse said they would do further tests, but she said that it's so common and so many ladies have these kind of bladder issues that i wouldn't be called back until the new year! I think it's just another one of those blooming things us women are prone to because of our biology!
Have you had any urine tests? If not would you maybe be able to speak to a nurse at your doctors if you don't want to see the doctor, if you take a urine sample and they can do a dip test for you?

I keep trying to convince myself that the symptoms are nothing serious but i know how hard it is. It may sound a bit odd but i try and say to myself, if the brain can cause people to hallucinate and see things that aren't actually there it can most definitely make us feel dizzy or have other strange unexplainable symptoms for no apparent reason!

I'm sorry not to be of more help :(
Take care
Lu x

Historienne
27-11-09, 09:28
Hello lu. Wow that was really helpful thank u. I think I was having a majorly bad day yesterday and couldn't put things into perspective. Yes I am right handed and the dominant side thing does make sense. Its also been that time of the month that may have made me feel dizzyer? I might buy a heatpack for my neck, see if it helps! The wheat and lavender ones r nice. Thank u for your long and helpful msg x x

tasia
27-11-09, 09:54
Hi there, most of the symptoms you have had i have had too...and still get from time to time when im feeling down The dizzyness for me was the worse as I was literally walking into the walls I felt like I was on a ship and it was terrifying. Please try not to worry and calm yourself. Try going for nice walks and reading anything to stop yourself from focusing on the negative you will be absolutely fine. Take care..

Lu
27-11-09, 11:05
The time of the month definitely makes me dizzier, this month it was actually so bad I could hardly get out of bed, i tend to get a lot of weakness and exhaustion too which sometimes i think may be causing the unsteady feeling. Those hormones do crazy things!
I find a water bottle or heatpack helps with my neck definitely, i once had a herbalist say to me that if you think about how tense your neck is that no wonder you feel dizzy because all the nerves and blood and everything to your head and ears are being constricted, it kinda makes sense!
I really hope it's a better day for you today :)
take care
x

Historienne
27-11-09, 17:35
This makes sense.. The mind can do crazy things. I tried to find a heat pack today that goes right around the neck and across the shoulders but couldn't! Any ideas where I can find one? Pls? Thank u to everyone posting

ElizabethJane
27-11-09, 17:48
You can buy wheat pillows from Boots. Not sure of the price but you can use them with essential oils. You heat them in the microwave. I also have a heated electric pad which came from Argos. This cost about fifteen pounds. Check to see if you can use it on your neck.

Historienne
27-11-09, 23:11

lc2613
27-11-09, 23:38
surprised to hear someon has had the same worries as me my dad had ms and made an amazing recovery was told he would never walk again that was before he had me will always be in remission so i worry but if you have had all the tests the majority of the time you have to trust they know what they are doing but you are always entitled to a second oppinion no body can have the hump for needing reasurance or answers if it will put your mind at ease. talk to your doc about your worries. xx