PDA

View Full Version : Aspartame?

omh
28-01-04, 11:24
i read somewhere on the net about alleged links between aspartame used in reduced sugar foods etc, and panic attacks (and a hell of a lot of other things too)
well ive cut out all food with it in (suprising what its in) though i wasnt one for drinking a lot of fizzy pop anyhow, but i havent had a panic attack for over a fortnight now......

crossing fingers they dont come back.....

anyone else come across this?

Charlotte
28-01-04, 11:36
Hi omh,

I have never heard anything particular about aspartame, but I think generally any processed food can make you feel worse. Fresh foods and plenty of fruit and veg and water of course are generally better for our well being though.

Meg would be the one in the know about this I would think

Great news that you haven't had a panic attack for a fortnight though. Well done.
Charlotte xx

Lottie32
28-01-04, 12:47
Aspartine has been linked to all sorts of things. There was research a few years ago that suggested that it might be linked to brain tumours. I'm not sure that they proved it conclusively in the end though.

Anything which contains additives is not good for you in the long term. There was a trial in a magazine the other week where two sisters were put against each other. One ate and lived her life as normal for a fortnight (which included regular exercise). The other carried out her normal routine, but was not allowed to eat anything with E numbers in (basically she had to do fresh meat, fruit and veg).

After a fortnight the non E sister had lost weight, had better skin, had improved concentration span and generally felt healthier.

Makes you think doesn't it?

Charlie

diana
28-01-04, 13:57
Hiya Charlie,

Good post, thanks for the information. Very interesting ey?

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Meg
28-01-04, 22:43
Hi,

Yes some people are more sensitive to aspartame, false sugars and salts than other people, Just as some of us are a bit dairy/wheat etc intolerent but don't really notice it unles we have lots of it.
It's unlikley to be a trouble from this point of view in small quantities but for those diet coke addicts - 3 + a day it may have big effects just as others may respond badly to 3 Red Bulls.

A kinesiologist can test for this. Just take some of your diet drink with you if you decide to visit one.

Charlie - It was thought it was all cancers and the trials persist. They've got to be very long term ones to prove any conclusive primary end points (like with antipersirants) but in general the less we have of all these the better for our general wellbeing.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
29-01-04, 13:30
Meg - thanks, although it doesn't particularly bother me in an anxiety sort of way.

I think since you encouraged me on this healthy eating plan, I am more and more aware of what cr*p goes into foods. I had a drinking chocolate today, cos I've got a cold, and green tea just doesn't do the comfort hug. I was waiting for the kettle to boil, and read the packet - aspartame and hydrogenated fats were in it. I still drank it, cos I like the taste, but when I go shopping next, I;m going to look for a more "pure" form. Sure that the Thorntons drinking chocolate won't have as much rubbish in as the Cadburys one.

I'm just adopting the principle that I shall try and put the least amount of chemicals into my body as possible, and eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as I can, when I can. I've now turned into one of those people who read labels in supermarkets, blocking up the aisles, and I buy the least additive full product I can.

Mind you, I'm still smoking so it's all very hypocritical! Got paid today, so i am going to order the stop smoking book now.

Charlie

Meg
29-01-04, 13:41
Charlie,

'Green and Blacks' is tbe best organic choc around and the drinking variety is great but as usual not the cheapest

I'm happy to meet you at Costco in Derby and smuggle you in for a great quality fruit veg moment..

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
29-01-04, 15:23
Meg

Had G&B choccie bars - didn't know they did hot choc too! Will have to look out for it. They do G&B in Tesco, but never noticed the choc drink before.

A trip to Costco hey! Sound like fun, but I always get lost going there and end up in Wollaton before I sus it and can turn around!

Where do you get your hot choc from?

Charlie

Meg
29-01-04, 16:13
I think I got the last G+B lot from a 'fairtrade' stall somewhere but I expect Tescos do it too.

Follow the signs for Pride Park or the Wyvern for Costco ! No credit cards though..

Meg

Lottie32
29-01-04, 17:15
Meg

I know where it is, and how to get there. It's just that I've got wrong so many times, my memory thinks the wrong way is the right way!!! (If that makes sense)

Got some cash, we got paid today!

Charlie

diana
29-01-04, 17:36
Hiya Meg,

Do you happen to know if Green and Black products are offered in the US? It sounds like a plan, I too am trying to adopt the "NO CHEMICAL" approach. So you say Organic is the way to go? Thanks for the posts I learn something on here everyday. Thanks again all. Meg post to let me know about the availability of Green and Black products in the US, and if Organic is the way to go on all we put in our bodies.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Meg
29-01-04, 20:43
Hi Diana,

Yes they are . It doesn't have to be this one but it is one of the better brands available here.

Organic anything has to be pesticide , preservative and colour free, thus salmon isn't pink and bread doesn't last as long and it's all more expensive. I choose some organic things but can't justify it for everything everyday.

http://www.greenandblacks.co.uk/html/usa.php

Meg

diana
29-01-04, 21:57
Thanks Meg.

For the info. I will be trading in my additives for more natural alternatives. Thanks again.

Take care,

Diana xxxx