PDA

View Full Version : Situational Disorder

Mya
27-11-09, 02:49
Hi

After dealing with panic attacks for the past 2 years I finally decided to seek therapy for this horrible condition. My panic attacks occurred after life changing events. My doctor has diagnosed me with GAD and Situational Disorder. Situational disorder was one that I never heard of. I am trying to research it and I am VERY concerned since life is full of changes and how I will cope with this disorder. Has anyone been diagnosed with this and if so, what type of therapy have you used? Has anything even worked because to me it seems like this is a disorder that would be very hard to treat. Thanks for any help.

maddie
27-11-09, 02:58
Hi. I have reactive depression. That is, my depression was caused by a specific event. I think your doctor is probably meaning much the same - that your problems have been caused directly because of the events you have been through.

Please don't google to try to find out what he means - you'll only end up thinking it's some kind of dreadful, slow terminal illness!! :) My advice would be that you go back to see him. Ask him to clarify what he meant and to refer you for the relevant therapy.

Good luck :hugs:

Mya
27-11-09, 03:05
Thanks Maddie!

Yes googling is terrible! It certainly doesn't help those of us with anxiety! I appreciate your advice and will follow the doctors orders. I was surprised to hear of such a disorder but it makes sense - I have always been sensitive to change. I am glad I am aware of it and know I have it and can be prepared for the next change. I have been saying to my husband since these panic attacks started that if another life event happens I do not know what I would do. It scares me to know that so many more events are going to happen to me but I am trying to stay positive in that I will get well and be able to cope. Thank you for your reply and I wish you all the best with your situation as well.

Take Care,

Mya:bighug1:

looking4answers
27-11-09, 03:17
I think many people here have just general anxiety which pretty much covers all anxiety .We all have so many different types the doctors hasn't been that specific..I think its like most all other anxieties there is hope that you will lay it down and get over it or at least control it to where it doesnt control you .. We are all with you here and hope to be able to help in someway or the other.. Always remember it can come and go as quickly as the moment but there is always always hope it will disappear forever.. Michael :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Mya
27-11-09, 03:38
Awww thank you, Michael! I appreciate so much your warm and comforting words. This site is amazing and although I just recently joined - I am moved and amazed with the intelligence, but most importantly, the compassion the members give to one another here. It makes me feel better to know I am not alone ,however I feel for these people on here that have struggled for years. To be honest, sometimes reading the posts will actually give me more anxiety, but we cannot compare each others situations and be led to believe that we will never get well. I agree with you that anxiety is anxiety, whether it be situational, chemical, environmental etc. I have always looked at life like things happen for a reason and this is just another hiccup to plow through. In the end we will only get stronger and wiser from it. It is just s hard sometimes to keep that mentality when you are in the darkest places of your mind. Thank you again for your kind words and I wish you and everyone else on this site all the best.

looking4answers
27-11-09, 03:45
No worries.. Mya . glad you are here and we will all try to help.. Funny what you said in your post makes me think of the old expression.."what doesn't kill me makes me stronger" We will be here for you anytime sweetie.. Dont worry and relax as much as you can.. Sometimes I read the post I have made and it makes me anxious lol.. Talking about older ones so you aren't alone.. Good luck to you and remember we are not alone.. Michael

Milo
27-11-09, 05:56
Hi All,

I suffer with this and have all my life. According to DSM-IV it is classified as Adjustment Disorder, and it comes along with the classics such as Depressed Mood, Anxiety, Disturbance of Conduct, Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood, Mixed Disturbance of Emotions and Conduct. Not that that helps us in any way!
After suffering this for years, I have termed this 'Pre-Traumatic-Stress-Syndrome' for myself. What happens is simply that some type of Life Event will approach or appear and I react to it and its possible outcomes/consequences - before they even happen... and in many, many cases they NEVER happen, but I experience extreme anxiety and Panic for weeks on end. These situations can be short lived or long term... I'll give you an example.
I live in a fairly violent country, where murder, rape etc.. are daily occurrences, and as such there are some things you just don't do. My wife went on a trip to another City and had to fly. As the time was approaching for her to be at the Airport for her return flight I tried to contact her. She wasn't answering her mobile and I kept trying for almost an hour. Well, after about an hour my anxiety, which kicked in after the first call, resulted in a full blown PA and I was physically ill. I had all these mental images of what had happened to her and I completely lost it. My rational mind was telling that as her mobile was still on and working that there would be a simple explanation, but the anxiety took over and I lost control. As it turns out her phone was on Silent and in her bag - she made it home in one piece and unharmed. I suffered for days thereafter.
What I do to manage this problem is anticipate in advance. Once I am aware of a situation that may result in me suffering anxiety, PA's and possible depression - I journal it all down. I start with a description of the situation and possible outcomes and then I pre-determine my reaction to these. If it involves others in my family or work, I then tell them in detail what I am concerned about and how I plan to manage the situation, the possible outcomes and importantly my reactions. It’s amazing how they then respond in support of me when the time comes.
Hope this helps a little?
Take care and keep going... this can be beaten.

manx_kitty
27-11-09, 08:16
I kind of understand what you mean, if i do something out of my routine i feel panicky.............is this how you feel?

Mya
28-11-09, 02:46
Thanks for your responses! Yes I can relate to what you all are saying.

Milo- you sound very much like me. I panic whenever my husband goes anywhere. Have been like this for the 10 years we have been together. He has to call me when he gets to his destination and also when he is leaving to return home. He had to fly for business a few years ago and it was a disaster for me. It is quite embarrasing because my fear of something bad happening becomes so strong that family and friends see how much I worry and then I get concerned they are thinking I control my husband or something. I have ALWAYS worried about bad things happening to loved ones, having any type of change whether it be a move, new job, new friends, etc...

What happened to me was in a one year time frame -I got married, lost my brother in law suddenly to a heart attack and almost lost my father to an accident. I went over the deep end. I felt like a freak because everyone else was able to move forward after these events although they grieved and had there own emotions. But me - I am still dealing with the ramifications of what it did to me emotionally.

What I am worried about is how I am going to react in another major life changing event like a death or something. That is my biggest fear. That is why Situational Disorder scares me the most. I know it is like any anxiety but it seems that mine is mainly with major life events. I get afraid that if something else happens I will be sent to the a psychiatric hospital. I am able to prepare myself for things that I know about in advance, but these things out of the blue are what terrify me the most. They terrify everyone even those without anxiety. I have been psychologically scarred by these events and they were way over a year ago. This is very disturbing for me. My husband and I are going through this now with the discussion of having a child. I am already having panic attacks about the change but know that I want a child one day. I am afraid what pregnancy/childbirth would do to me psychologically since this is another life changing event. I just pray to God that my therapy will help me to be able to deal with these things when they sporadically happen, but I know that it will take a very very long time. In the meantime, I am paralyzed by fear that something bad will happen and I will just fall apart. On a positive note, I am happy that I am aware I have this "disorder" or whatever fancy name they want to give it, so that myself and loved ones can be aware of my reaction in times of crises. I am just scared of something happening in the midst of me getting proper treatment to cope.

Does this sound anything like you guys? Thanks again for your replies!

Bill
28-11-09, 03:15
It sounds to me that the traumas you have suffered have triggered a sense of insecurity which is why you feel so afraid alone and why you are so afraid of losing those close to you because they make you feel more secure.

One thing about life is that living means "risk". When we feel afraid and insecure, we try to control the safety of ourselves and those around us but this controlling then creates anxiety when they go about their business beyond what feels "our control".

We also like to keep to a path of safety but this creates tension because we become afraid to veer off it. When events push us off our path, we then feel frightened because we lose our sense of safety.

To treat these type of feelings is to learn "acceptance". Life means risk and no matter what we do, we cannot control "everything". Like a bird with chicks, we have to learn to allow them to fly the nest and let them live their lives without "unduly" worrying about them.

We also have to learn how to take a more relaxed approach to life by learning how to keep our mind away from worrying by learning relaxation techniques.

However, the one thing I found that helped me most "distraction". Whenever a worry started or I was left alone, I always tried to find something I enjoyed that kept my mind occupied. Eventually, it becomes not just a distraction technique but a "new" habit which then replaces the habit of focusing on worries and fears.:hugs:

Mya
28-11-09, 03:29
What a wonderful response and wise advice, Bill. Thank you for easing my mind and helping me to better understand why things may be happening to me in this manner:)

It is amazing what an outsider can see in regards to what you are going through.

I agree with you about distraction. I think hobbies are a wonderful outlet. My husband yells at me all the time to get a hobby so I can enjoy life again. I know he is right. Unfortunately, my hobby has been trying to figure out my anxiety like all of us are doing. Maybe if we took our hobby away from anxiety and something more productive and fun, it will help us to move on and forget for the time being. The best thing I could do would be to throw my computer out so I cannot search for negativity! But then I would have major anxiety!

Thanks again for the wondferful advice. Much appreciated!

Bill
28-11-09, 03:47
One other thought Mya....during the second world war, many wives and girlfriends lost their other halves to fight abroad and these women themselves especially over here had the added constant fear of bombs being dropped.

I realise that not everyone suffers from anxiety as we do but imagine how frightened they must have been. How did they cope?

They kept Busy to stop them worrying otherwise they'd ended up feeling so ill the country would have stopped functioning.

Like I say, I'm NOT meaning to compare them and what they went through with us because I know what it's like to suffer from anxiety. I'm just using their example as to how they coped with worry and fear.

The best way for time to go by quickly is by finding a hobby or interest we enjoy because not only then do we keep more relaxed but we also find by the time we want to start worrying, the people we want to worry about are already home!

I think we're "born worriers" so if we sit doing nothing, we Will worry, and then dwell on those worries so we end up feeling really ill. I always try to nip them in the bud by getting my mind onto other things before my mind starts dwelling on them.

I'm Glad to be of some help.:bighug1:

Mya
28-11-09, 04:31
Bill,

You are so correct with this. The times our ancestors lived were far worse than what we have endured now. Yes, we have war, terrorism, murder, etc.. But they had war in front of their eyes.

I have neighbors whose family were in concentration camps. They witnessed their children, loved ones and friends be executed. Could you imagine people like us surviving through that?

You are right, if the world were like me - it would shut down. I do not know your age, but my generation has been sheltered. Our parents kept us in a bubble and gave us unconditional protection. It is hard for us to try and survive in the BIG, SCARY world. I was not prepared. I am trying to learn as I go but it gets overwhelming. That is ok though. It makes me stronger and it educates me along the way.

My country has been living in a fairy tale - until September 11th arrived. That woke us up. People started to appreciate the "less tangible" things in life. Too bad 8 years later and people seem to have forgotten. They are back to their selfish ways again. Even in this horrible economy, people are skipping their Thanksgiving meals to rush to the stores to buy all their crap - it is all crap (some of them even getting injured in the mad rush). In my opinion, stores should not be open on holidays, period. Same with Sundays. These should be reserved for family.

Sometimes I ponder if half my issues are because I hate living in this time. Yes, the past was very hard, but people were better able to cope. They had better support systems, they had more faith in their lives. My husband and I are young. We don't have a lot in common with people our age. We love our older neighbors and hearing their stories, life experiences. They are wiser than our generation. It is a hard world today. It is very scary like the past, but in a much different way.

My husband and I are often called "old souls." I don't know how it is in your country, but it is very hard for us to find people that have the same values and morals as us. People seem to be forgetting the simple things in life are most important. All they care about are the tangible items and whose kid is smarter.

Thanks again for your input. I like to to talk about historical events and how we compare today. It is amazing how much we have changed as a people in a relatively short period of time. I often wonder what it will be like 50 years from now. When I do imagine it, I will admit, I get very anxious. I feel like I am creating a bubble in our "safe sanctuary" because I really dislike the outside world because we do not fit in. My husband who does not have an ounce of anxiety feels the same way so it makes me feel less alone.

Bill
28-11-09, 05:02
I really dislike the outside world because we do not fit in.

The outside world does not fit in with you because you believe in the good values that this world I feel at times has forgotten. You should never feel that you are the odd ones out because more people should be like You and then this world would be a more caring loving happier place to live.

We anxiety sufferers spend so much time beating ourselves up but as I often say, if we did not have anxiety, we wouldn't worry but then nor would we worry about others which would mean we wouldn't Care. Why then should we beat ourselves up for caring too much?

If more people Cared in this world, we then wouldn't all feel so isolated and alone, including those who don't suffer from anxiety. Can you imagine an anxiety sufferer starting a war? I can't. Wars then would never start because we'd all spend more time trying to understand each other because there would be more compassion.

I fear that terrible things will always happen because it's human nature but while there are people like you that exist, so does hope for a more happy peaceful future. I always think of John Lennons song "Imagine" because you are proof that he wasn't the only dreamer and that there are many others who also have the same values. Alot of those are the people on here!:hugs:

Never try to change You! Let others change to be more like You!:bighug1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsiKfpdxaNI&feature=related